Essential roio's?

Essential roio's?

Postby GearSmith » Fri May 19, 2006 8:01 pm

I need some help. I've been to forgotten yesterdays and a few other sites, but have not found a good guide or consensus on what roio's people consider to be essential. I got bit-torrent running a few months ago and have been able to snag the following shows:

1976-06-17
1979-04-18
1980-09-27

Though I am thankful for all genenral essential recording suggestions, I am also interested in opinions about the best topo and drama shows, and what shows feature the best versions of close to the edge (as you know, in recent years, it has really slowed down). To date I have never heard a live version of ctte that I prefer over the studio version.

Thanks, Danny
GearSmith

Postby YesForSure » Sat May 20, 2006 4:13 am

Close to the Edge on Yessongs is very good, they play it with extreme intensity. It's also the best quality recording you'll get from that tour.. For the TFTO shows, your best bets are: Boston Gardens, Cobo Hall Detroit, Inglewood, Madison Square Garden NYC.
YesForSure

Postby GearSmith » Sat May 20, 2006 4:17 pm

YesForSure wrote:Close to the Edge on Yessongs is very good, they play it with extreme intensity. It's also the best quality recording you'll get from that tour.. For the TFTO shows, your best bets are: Boston Gardens, Cobo Hall Detroit, Inglewood, Madison Square Garden NYC.

Thanks for the topo suggestions. Yeah, I just did an A/B comparison of yesshows and the studio album. I agree that it is a fairly good, intense rendition of ctte. Personally, I still prefer the studio cut. My main reason is the opening sequence with Steve's frenetic guitar playing. Although he approaches it on yesshows, he just seems so much more close to the ragged edge (no pun) on the studio track. The studio track always sounds more risky to me than any of the live ones. But when one has the benefit of several takes, perhaps that is to be expected.

OTOH, I hear some of Zeppelin's live material and Page's playing is often even more risky an brilliant live than in the studio. 'Course he has his share of trainwrecks and pedestrain playing too, but just about every live version of 'Since I've Been Loving You" I prefer to the studio version.
GearSmith

Postby happytheman » Sun May 21, 2006 12:17 pm

GearSmith wrote:Thanks for the topo suggestions. Yeah, I just did an A/B comparison of yesshows and the studio album. I agree that it is a fairly good, intense rendition of ctte. Personally, I still prefer the studio cut. My main reason is the opening sequence with Steve's frenetic guitar playing. Although he approaches it on yesshows, he just seems so much more close to the ragged edge (no pun) on the studio track. The studio track always sounds more risky to me than any of the live ones. But when one has the benefit of several takes, perhaps that is to be expected.

OTOH, I hear some of Zeppelin's live material and Page's playing is often even more risky an brilliant live than in the studio. 'Course he has his share of trainwrecks and pedestrain playing too, but just about every live version of 'Since I've Been Loving You" I prefer to the studio version.

Boston 74, Steve rips through the opening minutes of CTTE. I've never heard him more "frantic". Brilliant stuff.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby GearSmith » Sun May 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks very much for the tip. Very cool that I can satisfy my Topo request and ctte with one great concert. I currently have a request on zomb torrents that may get fulfilled. Looks like this concert IS being seeded on DIME, but I have not been able to get an account on DIME yet becuase it always says the system is full.
GearSmith

Postby mc-merc » Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 am

GearSmith wrote:Thanks very much for the tip. Very cool that I can satisfy my Topo request and ctte with one great concert. I currently have a request on zomb torrents that may get fulfilled. Looks like this concert IS being seeded on DIME, but I have not been able to get an account on DIME yet becuase it always says the system is full.

I must agree with the suggestions on the Topographic shows, but I would also add Long Beach. I also agree that CttE on Yessongs is staggering! The enrgy on that one is overwhelming and it is my favourite version.

In regards to Drama shows, I would recommend the two I've listened to so far: Boston and New York. Some people advise to stay away from the european shows, but I'm not sure. I think I'm not alone when I say that 10 out of 10 times I'd rather listen to a poor sound quality boot of the Drama era, with Trevor Horn's voice all shot, than a pristine, soundboard A+ show with Trevor Rabin...
mc-merc

Postby khalpin » Mon May 22, 2006 4:39 pm

happytheman wrote:Boston 74, Steve rips through the opening minutes of CTTE. I've never heard him more "frantic". Brilliant stuff.

Agreed. That's the 12/11/74 King Biscuit broadcast. Great sound quality and very easy to find.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Postby GearSmith » Mon May 22, 2006 6:51 pm

khalpin wrote:Agreed. That's the 12/11/74 King Biscuit broadcast. Great sound quality and very easy to find.

Khalpin, thanks for that clarification. I thought we were talking about the 02/26/74, until you posted that.
GearSmith

some of The Best sounding imho...

Postby Aventure » Mon May 22, 2006 11:19 pm

Gothenberg 71
New Haven, CT 71
Durham, NC 72
Columbia, MD 72
Long Beach 74 MM
NYC MSG 74
Boston 12-11-74
Queen's Park 75
Long Beach 75 MM
Vancouver 76
Roosevelt Stadium 76
Long Beach 77
Memphis 77
Hiedelberg 77
Cleveland 78
Wembley 78
LA 78
Quebec 79
Vancouver 79
Chicago 79
Portland 80
"...sheep remain inside their pens, though many times they've seen the way to leave..."
-peter gabriel
Aventure

Veteran Member

Postby khalpin » Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 pm

GearSmith wrote:Khalpin, thanks for that clarification. I thought we were talking about the 02/26/74, until you posted that.

No problem. Also, I highly recommend getting a copy of the QPR DVD from May '75. Steve's solo at the beginning of CttE is phenomenal on that and the camera is all over it!
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Return to YEStrades