The toughest Yes song to play...

Postby YesThatIsHowe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:29 am

YesThatIsHowe wrote:orignally

Ooops. originally. I meant what I said what I spelled I mucked up... :D
Bill

The Yes Album Mannequin Head
YesThatIsHowe

Postby Conall » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:06 am

I'm with you on the internet loss of spelling, punctuation, etc. It's hard enough to communicate even with all that good stuff. I can't stand the style that is too lazy to even hit the shift key. If they're that lazy, it must not have been very important and so I won't waste my time trying to read it.

That's a heavy pick you use! Ironically, I find that I need a lighter pick for the fast runs. The strumming stuff would not matter to me as much with a heavier pick! Again, it's personal preference.

The 00-18SH was a limited edition. I believe they made only 250 copies (I think I have #12!). I doubt there are any new ones left. I think I paid about $1800 for mine in 1999. That was a lot, because it was a special edition I suppose. I think a new 00-18 or 000-18 was around $1400 at that time. Used ones could be more or less. Taylor's are in a similar price range, depending on the model of course.
Conall

Postby YesThatIsHowe » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:14 am

(sigh) That figures. Oh well. Hey Conall, do you know anyone who owns the Gibson Steve Howe signature ES-175SH electric? They're still available, and if I don't plug it in, I'll have an acoustic, too! I'd really like to talk with someone who has one, because I've read a lot of conflicting reviews online...

[:yes]
Bill

YesThatIsHowe

Postby Conall » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:41 am

The ES-175SH would be a nice guitar to have! But I don't know anyone who has one. I'm surprised about conflicting reviews. How(e) could one go wrong?!
Conall

Postby YesThatIsHowe » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Conall wrote:The ES-175SH would be a nice guitar to have! But I don't know anyone who has one. I'm surprised about conflicting reviews. How(e) could one go wrong?!

Several people have mentioned the action/neck was set up so badly that they had to have it re-fretted (!). I've heard of bubbly clear finish gaffes, bad nickel plating, cracks in the finish, etc. I suppose they are hit-or-miss. But, also I've heard people who have played an actual old one ('64 era), like the Howe signature better!

Who am I kidding? Like I've got $3000 bucks laying around. Yeah, right.

(I can dream, can't I?)

[} :) ]
Bill

YesThatIsHowe

Waa Laa!

Postby Tucson Bass Player » Mon May 01, 2006 8:19 am

Squireaholic wrote:Roundy and Igno: Bruford is not playing 5/4, 8 or anything in five. He's playing in 4 and accenting succesive beats: ONE-2-3-4,1-TWO-3-4,1-2-THREE-4,1-2-3-FOUR, 1-2-3-4 (repeat until dizzy!)Remember , he was the ripe old age of 17 when he came up with that. Rick recapitulates this pattern on LDR Yessongs.
Hardest on Bass? besides the obvious already stated (all of Relayer, SWoF), let's not forget HooS! Changing tempoes,. patterns, an extended bass solo, stops and starts on a dime. Truly a masterpiece!

Waa Laa,
The correct answer has arrived. Man, aren't this forums awesome! :D
Tucson Bass Player

Postby john mccleary » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:01 am

Tempus fugit I played for 20 years.Call me silly not stupid. Heart of the sunrise gave me problems. :rolleyes:
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Previous

Return to We Love When We Play