Where are the musicians?

Postby john mccleary » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Im a bass player My favorite 2 guitar players are Holy Howe and Jhonny Winter :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:18 pm

Oh yeah I play t3h bass, too... have been playin for around 4 years-ish. Haven't played much at all this last 8 months cuz of school, though. :( It sucks. Can't wait till this summer when I get to hang out with my bass teacher again! Wooooot, I miss the coolness of our jams. :p
Kalingzeye

Postby Roan's Lady » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:39 am

I'm a keyboard gal, but mostly I play just the piano. :)
Roan's Lady

Postby Hed G. » Tue May 01, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm a drummer, but I mostly just play with myself.
Bruford Really Kicks Ass!
Hed G.

Postby Roan's Lady » Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 am

Hed G. wrote:I'm a drummer, but I mostly just play with myself.

Typical drummer - or typical Hed? :D
Roan's Lady

Postby resonator57 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Hello ;)

I'm the newboy around here , only just joined this wonderful forum.
I'm a drummer and earnt a decent living at it many moons ago playing sessions,touring with various bands mainly across europe and the UK.
Nothing major league , but as I said I earnt a living and had a blast for a few years.
Started out playing in 1976. The main man for me was (and still is) Alan White closely followed by Bill Bruford and Phil Collins. Those were the guys that got me hooked and who influenced my learning and playing.
Nowadays I play for fun and occasional pocket money picking up bits and pieces of work here and there.
My handle is actually the name of my drums : Premier Resonators

anyway , good to be here and looking forward to browsing the site and getting involved.
resonator57

Re: Where are the musicians?

Postby resonator57 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Actually it would be kinda interesting to check out if there are any like minded musicians in my area I dont know about.
I'm on the lookout for a new project/band. I'm a drummer and also frontman (was singer in a Genesis trib a while back)
I live close by Gatwick Airport , West sussex , UK.

Anyone out there wanna say Hi ? :)
resonator57

Postby resonator57 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi again. man this section is awfully quiet !!
I've replied to myself twice now :D

I'm still looking for a decent band to drum with. have depped and done some recording but still searching for like minded folk who fancy playing some YES tunes....

Not many brave souls out there though willing to say [:yes]

love to all you YESfans :)
resonator57

Postby bradders » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi there Nige. Glad you enjoyed the gig at Chiddingfold.
Oh Im Chris btw :-) Playing keyboards is my thing...for seYes....http://www.seyes.co.uk
bradders

Postby Dr_Yes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm

resonator57 wrote:Hi again. man this section is awfully quiet !!
I've replied to myself twice now :D

I'm still looking for a decent band to drum with. have depped and done some recording but still searching for like minded folk who fancy playing some YES tunes....

Not many brave souls out there though willing to say [:yes]

love to all you YESfans :)

Hi,

I've replied to you on other threads res57, but I agree it can be pretty quiet round these parts. It comes and goes in spurts. Sometimes there's a lot of traffic but given Yes' inactivity since 2004, it's not surprising there's less people posting. Anyway, at great risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time...

Welcome to YEStalk. I for one am an avid Steve Howe fan. I ran a Yes tribute for a while (YEP), which was great fun but hard to keep going as there weren't too many venues who would take a punt on us in the slightly retarded South West of England.

Nonetheless I spent two/three years of my life on it and (playing live) I most enjoyed playing Yours Is No Disgrace and Awaken. After it folded I lost faith in all things musical for a while and sold most of my gear. I took a back seat on playing but do try to keep an eye on helping people's requests etc. round here, or talk about things Yes related or bands in general. Part of the problem was that there were kind of two forums for this sort of thing here at YEStalk (since redressed) and Yessongs is also about tabs and such like, so were split over two boards.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm glad you enjoyed seYes - personally speaking I prefer them to the now defunct Fragile in terms of authenticity and delivery of the material. It may be seen by some dullards that getting it 'right' on stage is a bit anoraky, but personally speaking, I always thought getting it right was kind of the point for a tribute band.

So good luck with your venture. I know full well the problem of finding like-minded musicians to play it. The guys in our band were no way near as keen on Yes as me and it became a struggle to fight their apathy at times.

Doc Y.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby resonator57 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for the comments Dr Yes. Shame we dont live a little closer then I guess !

I am still searching for that elusive band. The trouble with me is , I spent many years as a pro drummer playing the usual covers/standards and just cant bring myself to play all that old stuff again hence my search for something a little more interesting and inspiring.
I did have some fun for awhile pretending to be Collins/Gabriel in a Genesis trib as frontman but we never got past the tiny stages so never fulfilled the ambition of staging two drummers.
I posted a comment on the SeYes website and a guy has emailed me so maybe I have found a YesMate in my area...we'll see !!

Did you say Fragile are no more ? I never actually got to see them but if thats the case , are SeYes the sole surviving Yes trib in the UK now or are there more hidden away ?

Nice to hear from you Dr Yes and maybe our paths will cross at some point in the future my friend. ;)

In the meantime , anyone in the South East UK looking for a drummer for an interesting proggie type project...please PM me thru this site.
I thank you...

Best regards to all you wonderful [:yes] fans

Nige
resonator57

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Nige,

Good luck with your quest. I completely concur on the problem of trawling yourself around the pub circuit playing endless covers and feeling totally unfulfilled. I had a very similar experience - which led to YEP.

I hope things pan out for you in terms of finding musicians. I guess you're better placed than I was in terms of the size of the musician pool. I hope you get it together - and yep, it would be cool to say hello at some point in the future.

The situation with Fragile is that they've decided to call it a day (having played a few times with Steve Howe I guess it's hard to see yourself back on your lonesome again). I don't think they've totally ruled out resurrecting it one day - but for all intents and purposes it's defunct.

For my part, I am happy to be playing again after a long self-imposed sabbatical. I've bought a new PRS, have a guitar synth too and a nice set-up and am playing in a loose-knit covers band trying to rack in some filthy lucre on the function circuit. It's not ideal: but then niether is my mortgage ;) .

Dave.

PS. Now if we could have once-monthly rehearsals - say around Thruxton ;) - where we meet for a whole day to rehearse, then I am in!! Ha ha. Ah, it would be nice to do that again. Never mind.

Dr_Yes

Postby Lyth » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Hello.

My name is Dave and I play the Bass Guitar and Bass Pedals.

Me and some of my old friends have just started writing again under the name of Rubicon.

No singer as yet but plenty of prog-based musical ideas.

Hopefully we'll have something for people to listen to in the not-so-distant future.

Graeme...Image Paul...Image

Graham...Image Me...Image
Lyth

Charter Member

Postby Ed1909 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Lyth!!
Haven't seen you round these parts for a while!
Hope all is good with you. :)
High vibration go on...
Ed1909

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:51 am

I'm a musician.
I just don't study that much at the moment, so I don't post except for in mood for a day and before tabs posts
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm

I played Bass Guitar for 4/5 years then switched to guitar, then to acustic guitar.While playing the bass i was a session musician, played with underground local bands.
In The Mean Time a fellow lead guitarist from one of those bands sold me one of his guitars, it was a cheap instrument but helped me to start writing my own stuff, on september 2005 i had career opportunity and quitted music for a while...fastfoward to august 2007 i got back with music and currently working again as a session musician, only this time with the acustic guitar and electric guitar i bought.
I´m happy to play with all sorts of musicians jam with them, and learn from those experiences.But i think i lost my sense of direction, this sessions and jams are leading me to nowhere.
I´want to form my own band/project, but i must confess I´m kind of inconstant with my own music soo that slows down the whole thing....
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Wed May 14, 2008 11:30 am

Lyth wrote:Hello.

My name is Dave and I play the Bass Guitar and Bass Pedals.

Me and some of my old friends have just started writing again under the name of Rubicon.

No singer as yet but plenty of prog-based musical ideas.

Hopefully we'll have something for people to listen to in the not-so-distant future.

Graeme...Image Paul...Image

Graham...Image Me...Image

Loving the bass pedals mate. Very nice! I also like the look of your guitarist's set-up. I guess you must be planning on playing some biggish venues with a rig this big? I had a Soldano Hot Rod 50 head + 2xJCM1936 cabs. but could never get the bloody thing loud enough to bring out the quality of the Soldano. I sold it for a Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 (great) but then I needed some dosh and chopped it for a Laney VC30 1x12 + ext cab. which is a nice compromise - class A at 30w RMS means I can overdrive it and get a nice noise.

Dr_Yes

Postby Dr_Yes » Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am

I am back into playing again in an acoustic duo. I am using a Takemine dreadnought electro cutaway with a GK-3 pickup mounted on it, plus a simply wonderful find in a Freshman FA1ANLH electro-acoustic cutaway which cost just £200 but is well worth double that. The Takemine is routed through a Roland GR-20 for ambient FX to add tonal colour (wankedy wank) and the Freshman goes through a Line6 Pod XTLive into a PA system. All very simple really and I downloaded a few acoustic tone files from Line6 that I like.

Our first gig (God willing) is 5 July 2008. We have around 16 songs ranging from Never Going Back Again (F Mac) to Iris (Goo Goo Dolls) and Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney). Really it's just a chance to have some fun and keep playing music. As we progress we're going to add more synth stuff into the mix. We're doing a version of Delilah that requires a Rhodes type organ sound in the mix and then some squelchy Moog 70s leads. Done subtely it should work well.

Dr_Yes

Postby Lyth » Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Loving the bass pedals mate. Very nice! I also like the look of your guitarist's set-up. I guess you must be planning on playing some biggish venues with a rig this big?

Cheers.

The pedals are Roland PK-5A MIDI pedals. They control an Oberheim Matrix 1000 synth unit in my rack to provide a rather huge Taurus-esque sound which is great for making the room shake.

We would LOVE to play biggish venues as and when we are ready. We just need to find somewhere (and, of course, some people to come along and see us!!!!).

We're pretty fortunate that the room where we rehearse is a fair size so that we can utilise everything we have and - as we say - do the 'full American stage-show'.
Lyth

Charter Member

Postby resonator57 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:01 am

Hello [:yes] forum :) :)

I just realised I have been away from here for over a year :mad:

Currently fronting a prog covers band in the South east UK called
NOODLEHEADS.
In the set,we have "South Side of the Sky" and "heart of the sunrise" both of which are a real blast to play.
Also covering tunes by Genesis,Rush,Zappa,The Who,Floyd,Hackett.
Im the frontman and also have an array of drums/percussion to play on the instrumental sections.
http://www.myspace.com/noodleheadsuk

Do the occasional dep gig at the drums too to keep my hand in
http://www.myspace.com/bignigedrummer

Greetings to you all

Nige
resonator57

Postby Dr_Yes » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm

resonator57 wrote:Hello [:yes] forum :) :)

I just realised I have been away from here for over a year :mad:

Currently fronting a prog covers band in the South east UK called
NOODLEHEADS.
In the set,we have "South Side of the Sky" and "heart of the sunrise" both of which are a real blast to play.
Also covering tunes by Genesis,Rush,Zappa,The Who,Floyd,Hackett.
Im the frontman and also have an array of drums/percussion to play on the instrumental sections.
http://www.myspace.com/noodleheadsuk

Do the occasional dep gig at the drums too to keep my hand in
http://www.myspace.com/bignigedrummer

Greetings to you all

Nige

Hey Nige!

Long time no see - but great to have the update - thanks.

I'm at work currently but look forward to checking out the links later. Sounds very cool.

Our two-piece duo is turning into a 3-piece electric outfit. Drums, bass, guitar with me on thin strings. Looking forward to that. Not sure what we'll do (probably staple stuff - Stones, Beatles, Queen, Led Zep, Hendrix maybe) but I am working on getting my palying into shape.

Keep in touch. Try not to leave it a year this time ;)

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Postby resonator57 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Cheers dave.

No music as yet on our band MySpace page so its not that exciting im afraid.We hope to get some recordings up on there soon.
Best of luck with your project

rgds
Nige
resonator57

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:00 am

I'm an L.A.-based guitarist, mostly playing classical guitar/flamenco stuff.
Really into Steve Hackett's nylon-string work, Paco de Lucia, Di Meola, and of course, S. Howe.

Always thought it would be interesting to roam around Europe, busking in the streets, the live a wandering minstral. I'd need a partner for a duo, brave enough to rough it and play some instrumentals in the squares and plazas of the Continent or UK. I played once in the Plaka District of Athens, summer '93.

I tried to play solo in the steps below Prague Castle, but after about 30 min., I started feeling a bit awkward and odd.

Later, I was offered a $30 a night gig in a bar.

I played in a lot of open mikes here and in Europe, solo mostly.

Recently my friend and I did DiMeola/de Lucia's "Mediterranean Sundance" in a coffee shop in LA. We got a good response.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:20 am

........What I imagine, is that with a 30-min repertoire , our wandering acoustic minstral duo could earn enough to fund a spring or summer in Europe. It'd be nice to hear the coins jingle in the guitar case or see wads of Euros mount inside.

The duo could play some stuff like ELP- Greg Lake, "The Journey", "In the Beginning" etc. Need a good vocalist.

We'd do some DiMeola/Paco de Lucia and perhaps some Renaissance lute duets.

Perhaps we'd need one of those little battery operated amplifiers.
The plazas of Barcelona are good. Perhaps Amsterdam would be a good place. Maybe Firenze(Florence) Italy...
Last year I followed a classical guitarist through the narrow streets of the old barrio of Malaga , Spain, and listened to him play Steve Howe, Bach, etc. One night I borrowed his guitar and played beneath the portal of the cathedral.

In a lot of these places you need a permit to play on the streets, but you could just play for a while and move on to another location.
It'd be musical vagabonding like in Ye Days of Olde.....
Perhaps snag a rich European widow and ...or meet some buxom young women travellers...groupies...
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 am

guitar players, there are millions, god love them, but to tel you the truth, I only care about those who truley give to others, I cant say enough about non union theachers, and doctors, those who have spent so much to get educations to help those in need
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm

2Lizard4 wrote:guitar players, there are millions, god love them, but to tel you the truth, I only care about those who truley give to others, I cant say enough about non union theachers, and doctors, those who have spent so much to get educations to help those in need
ROFLMAO again. Give? Why give when you can take, take, take? :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Gonna buy some classical strings today. My flamenco string aren't working on my classical.
Might go to Guitar Center and see if they have any deals on flamenco guitars with built-in transducers/pickups. I really need to sell this old Yamaha

got back from Guitar Center. Found a flamenco, but not with built-in transduceer. Think might be better with stickon pickup, might change tone if
someone surgically implants the transducer
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 am

God love any one who plays music. My boss has a phd in strctural analysis. I have known him for years, didnt know he plays. I also didnt know that he hand builds some of the most beautiful guitars, I have seen and heard. One night i HAD TO GO TO HIS HOUSE AND WORK on some analysis, while he watched and played guitar, and I drank some of his FINEST SCOTCH
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Billy Sherwood HQ » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:32 am

I play a little :D

Wanna Jam' ?
Billy Sherwood HQ

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:29 am

Billy Sherwood HQ wrote:I play a little :D

Wanna Jam' ?

Yeah, I'll jam. I actually drove out to Hollywood today, went to Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. for a while, checkin' out guitars.

Sent you my Myspace thing. No music on it yet
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

PreviousNext

Return to We Love When We Play