[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Strings & more

Strings & more

Strings & more

Postby poodeeo » Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:34 am

In my perpetual quest to experiment with different strings(acoustic), I heard about some exceptional strings called Newtone. I tried a set of 12-54 for my Martin 00-18sh, and so far, I would have to say they're the best I've ever had. I usually use the Martin msp4100's phosphur bronze, but also have tried many others-D'addario, Pierce, etc.

What's so special about Newtone? Their made in England, HANDMADE, and the core is round vs. hexagonal. The end result is a string that is lower in tension(great on the left hand), and very long life. In fact, they actually sound best 1-2 weeks after stringing. After I strung up, I couldn't believe how long the harmonic sounded, and very deep.

For the curious, if you want to try them, I bought them from http://www.guitargal.com/. Their not in retail stores.

Best to all
poodeeo

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:13 am

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>i´ve tried d´addario strings with that coating and was not very impressed with them actually. they did not last as long as they promised and they only came in phosphor bronze.
maybe these are better. i usually string up with martin s p light or medium, bronze only. those are what sound best in my ears.
sometimes when the wallet is thinner i might go with darco´s bonze light. they don´t last as long but then i think the sound of fresh strings is a bit too weird. older strings give a bit more bass.

</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

<hr>stay awaken
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby poodeeo » Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:48 am

I've had the Newtones on about 2 weeks. The two things that set them apart, to me, are the lower tension, and the sound, particularly the bass strings. I didn't want to commit myself to 6 or> sets @6.50 each, so I bought two sets, a 12-54 & a 12-52 @$11 each. Now I'll order more than 6 for the 6.50 rate.

Granted, a lot has to do with how a person plays.

BTW, i read about them at an "unofficial" Martin site that is really cool: http://pub55.ezboard.com/btheunofficial ... uitarforum

best to all
poodeeo

Charter Member

Postby rduke » Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:09 am

Have you tried Elixer strings yet? Most folks either love or hate 'em. Best of all, they have pretty lengthy lifetime.
rduke

Veteran Member

Postby poodeeo » Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:35 am

i have tried them once, and I liked them a lot. But, I have half a dozen sets of martin's left, so I was planning to use them first, then go back to Elixer. But the Newtone reviews were so favorable, I had to see for myself. The Newtones are not quite as waxy as Elixer, and very easy on the left hand.
poodeeo

Charter Member

Postby topographicguitarist86 » Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:37 am

RDUKE, I have a set of acoustic light elixers on my chet atkins sst and they rule. Good sound, easy playability and long life span.
The slick Gortex coating lets me play along with Steve without missing notes or annoying string creeking. I love Elixers!!!
topographicguitarist86

Veteran Member

Postby rduke » Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:25 am

I just don't like changing strings, and when you got multiple guitars...I love 'em too and they last for weeks, on the order of three times longer than other brands.
rduke

Veteran Member

Return to We Love When We Play