Devotion to one type of guitar

Devotion to one type of guitar

Postby psychopomp95 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:57 pm

Out of all the people here who own axes, is there anyone who will ONLY play Fenders/Les Pauls/etc, or inversely, who simply WON'T play any one type of guitar? ;) What's your 'flavour', basically?
I have a big preference for Fenders or otherwise guitars that have been modelled after Fenders (Ibanez is good in my book for heavier rock playing) - not that I have anything against others but the Strat simply feels so NATURAL to me! :D I like smaller guitars, ones that my hands can cover all parts of easily... and my favorite guitar tone, when it gets down to it, is a Strat, straight into any amp with a decent amount of distortion, the pickup selector at the bridge and the tone knob at 10. :D THAT is the sound of rock, to me!
There's no guitar I 'won't' play on principle, but some I don't prefer to - Les Pauls are one. Nice guitars and they get a great lead sound (very different from the Strat - not a natural guitar sound really, but it turns the guitar into an almost violin-ish thing!), but I just don't find them very comfortable. The weight imbalance pulls them down to one side which is rather distracting, and it just feels so much wider on the body side than on the neck, as well. :p My arm feels kinda 'lost' in these surroundings, LOL! I don't mind hollowbody guitars being heavier, since the weight DOES seem to be balanced more (it's not the weight that's the problem after all, it's the one side slipping downward!), and also, the sound is so massively different from a Strat that it's worth the extra weight! Whereas a Les Paul isn't so different that I'd feel compelled to use them. :P
Other thoughts?
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby style0 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:04 pm

Hi Psyco...

I recently started playing in a Yes Tribute Band, and I guess I've been unconciously planning this for years. Below is what I've accumulated, and so far almost all of it has come into play. I say anything that will stay in tune has a use. My stuff:

1900's Parlour Guitar(possibly Martin made)1936 National Style 0 Roundneck
1940's Harmony Professional Squareneck Flat top
1962 Epiphone 00- Sized Flat Top
1966 Truetone Single Pick-up(My First Guitar)
1966 Fender Telecaster Mahogany Body w/Gold Hardware(Frankenstein)
1966 Vox Semi Hollow Teardrop 12 String
1976 Harmony 5 String Banjo
1980's Westbury Craviola Nylon String
1992 Kentucky A Style Mandolin
1994 Martin HD-28 Grand Marquis LSH
1998 Sterling Single Cone Resonator
1998 Martin DM-12 12 String
1999 Martin 000-16T (My Wife's Guitar)
1999 Martin Acoustic Bass
(2) 2000 Baby Taylor's (Travel Guitars for the Wife and me)
2002 Hamer 335 Dot Neck Copy
2003 Rogue Electric Sitar
2004 Artisan Lap Steel
Original Pignose
1940's Harmony 12" Tube Combo
1954 Supro Combo(My First Amp)
1960's Silvertone 8" Tube Combo(same amp as the "amp in a case")
1966 Silvertone 12" Combo(highly modified)
1982 Fender Super Champ(best amp ever)
Leslie 825 Cabinet
Ampeg 100 watt 15" Bass Combo
Pedalboard with some cool old stuff
Ben Franklin discovered it, but it took Bob Moog to find it's proper use.
style0

Postby N2yes » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:56 am

Fender Jazz Bass for me. While I love Precisions ( older makes ), nothing touches the Jazz. Rick's are nice, but since I'm not Chris Squire, I'll leave that rather unique sound all to him. Hey, is this an all 6-string thread????? Forgive the intrusion if it was meant to be.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:17 am

style0 wrote:Hi Psyco...

I recently started playing in a Yes Tribute Band, and I guess I've been unconciously planning this for years. Below is what I've accumulated, and so far almost all of it has come into play. I say anything that will stay in tune has a use. My stuff:

1900's Parlour Guitar(possibly Martin made)1936 National Style 0 Roundneck
1940's Harmony Professional Squareneck Flat top
1962 Epiphone 00- Sized Flat Top
1966 Truetone Single Pick-up(My First Guitar)
1966 Fender Telecaster Mahogany Body w/Gold Hardware(Frankenstein)
1966 Vox Semi Hollow Teardrop 12 String
1976 Harmony 5 String Banjo
1980's Westbury Craviola Nylon String
1992 Kentucky A Style Mandolin
1994 Martin HD-28 Grand Marquis LSH
1998 Sterling Single Cone Resonator
1998 Martin DM-12 12 String
1999 Martin 000-16T (My Wife's Guitar)
1999 Martin Acoustic Bass
(2) 2000 Baby Taylor's (Travel Guitars for the Wife and me)
2002 Hamer 335 Dot Neck Copy
2003 Rogue Electric Sitar
2004 Artisan Lap Steel
Original Pignose
1940's Harmony 12" Tube Combo
1954 Supro Combo(My First Amp)
1960's Silvertone 8" Tube Combo(same amp as the "amp in a case")
1966 Silvertone 12" Combo(highly modified)
1982 Fender Super Champ(best amp ever)
Leslie 825 Cabinet
Ampeg 100 watt 15" Bass Combo
Pedalboard with some cool old stuff

Damn, Style0, it sounds like you've got yourself one hell of an arsenal there!!! :jestera:

I have an Epiphone Les Paul, but it needs a little construction (long story I care not to tell at this time. kinda personal). I used to have a Marshall amp a few years back, but don't anymore, unfortunately. I just loved the sounds I used to get from that amp. The Les Paul has got a nice feel to it, but I really wanna get also either a Strat or a Telecaster. I'm a lefty, BTW. Not too many of them around. :D
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Evonce » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:58 pm

Popular as the Stratocaster is, I've never been able to play one very well, as the volume knob gets in my way.

I don't have any name brand prejudices, but I will not pick up an axe that looks like a heavy metal weapon - you know, the goofy flying-Vs, the spaceships, the machetes, or whatever. The sort of guitar that automatically makes your lip curl and your hair grow when you touch it. Watch out for the designer stripes as well.
Evonce

Postby psychopomp95 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:57 am

LMAO!! I liked your response, Evonce. :p Yeah, those guitars look a little kooky... I'm not opposed to that, but likewise, I wouldn't buy one, I'd rather have a normal-looking guitar that doesn't draw attention to itself! ;)
N2, of course you're welcome in this one! Yep, Fender Jazzes are indeed VERY nice (I play bass too, in fact I have two each of elec. guitars and basses!)... I have yet to play a bass that handles as well and makes everything easy to play! I'd REALLY love to get my hands on a fretless Fender Jazz bass, though.... that would be my ideal four-string! :D

Style-o: how many years have you been accumulating?? That is one BIG collection!! I have a fair bit of stuff considering I've only been playing for about eight years (and I started when I 13), but nowhere near that. :p
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby khalpin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:41 pm

Nice collection of guitars Style0.

I, too, am partial to the Fenders. Basically because I started with one. Actually I played the $65 no name Sears & Roebuck guitar for 3 years and then got a Squire Strat back in 1985. I got so used to the fretboard on that, that I always had a hard time playing Gibsons. So basically when I graduated college and started making money about 10 years ago, I decided to finally get a "real" guitar. I was so used to the Squire Strat, but I never used the whammy bar and the only thing it was really good for was throwing the guitar out of tune as far as I was concerned.

So I bought a Telecaster, instead, American Standard. It's ended up being the perfect guitar for me. I love the tone, it NEVER goes out of tune and it wasn't all that expensive either.

I would like to get a Les Paul someday, because I do like the tone, but I would rather get a nice tube amp instead. I was never really into equipment. As you can tell, I get a new guitar about every 10 years.

Actually, I did save my pennies and get a Martin D-41 in 2001. I'll never need another acoustic after that. I contemplated getting the Steve Howe signature Martin, but I didn't like the 00-18 nearly as much.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Postby raddad » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:54 am

For me it's my Rickey,But recently my drummer bought me a '78 Teleand it just really rocks.Also have a Troubdor 12-string with a pick-up installed under the bridge.(Epic sound!)
raddad

Postby style0 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi psychopomp95,

I've gotten most of this stuff in the last 15 years, but some of it is from my youth. Looks like I'm not gonna be needing a lot of it now. I got booted from the Yes Tribute thing last Sunday. Oh well, just when you think you've found your place. . .
Ben Franklin discovered it, but it took Bob Moog to find it's proper use.
style0

Postby Dr_Yes » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:21 pm

style0 wrote:Hi psychopomp95,

I got booted from the Yes Tribute thing last Sunday. Oh well, just when you think you've found your place. . .

Bummer!
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby Dr_Yes » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:36 pm

I don't have anything against any manufacturer. I love Gibsons, but find them a pig to play live with. OK - my only experience is a '79 Les Paul Custom, which I'd expect to be heavy.

I quite like Fenders but have never kept hold of one for more than a year or so. That said I had a lovely early Tokai Strat I wish now I'd never sold. I do have a Crapocaster now (Fender Jap Strat) finished in Ronseal walnut door varnish. Mmmmm. It's also been routed out - by me - to house a humbucking pickup lifted from a Patrick Eggle Berlin at the bridge. It's a dog, but is good for practising and as a back-up.

My pride and joy was a '99 PRS Custom 22. But once my Yes tribute folded I despaired of playing and sold it! Doh. I couldn't afford to replace it now and PRS has stopped making lefties. Gee - like I never expected that to happen.

In a bid to get into playing again I bought a Line 6 Variax 500 in black. It's okay. I don't know about its claims re: sounding like other guitars, but it sounds ok and plays reasonably well for what it is. After seeing Steve Howe use the 700 for acoustic sounds, I am intrigued at playing it live.

All I need is a band willing to play stuff by PT, Yes, Rush, Flower Kings, Opeth, Radiohead, Muse etc. and I'm there!!!!!!

Dr_Yes

Postby psychopomp95 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:04 am

Dr_Yes wrote:All I need is a band willing to play stuff by PT, Yes, Rush, Flower Kings, Opeth, Radiohead, Muse etc. and I'm there!!!!!!

Looking for a singer/songwriter who likes all those bands too, Doc? :D England wouldn't be such a tough move for me! :p Heck, I've lived there once already!
LOL.... in all seriousness, if/when I do come back there, whether it be for living/vacation/whatever, we should try meet up.... we can jam to the aforementioned bands, have a few pints, and debate the finer points of Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin's playing. ;)
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby Dr_Yes » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 am

[quote="psychopomp95"]Looking for a singer/songwriter who likes all those bands too, Doc? :D England wouldn't be such a tough move for me! :p Heck, I've lived there once already!
LOL.... in all seriousness, if/when I do come back there, whether it be for living/vacation/whatever, we should try meet up.... we can jam to the aforementioned bands, have a few pints, and debate the finer points of Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin's playing. ]

That sounds like a really cool plan chap. I would love to meet up and jam one day in the future. Hell it has even given me some incentive to get playing again! A few pints and discussing the relative merits of Steve and Trevor? Now that would be fun ;-)

Dr_Yes

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:50 am

Yamaha classical.
Stratocastor, but would prefer a Les Paul now.
Would like a 12-string acoustic and Rickenbacker electric 12er
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Electric Penguin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:38 pm

Over the years I've resisted Les Paul guitars. I've always had a "thing" about being different, and while many were using Marshalls and Pauls I was using Vox and Fenders or any other type of guitar. To this day it's about the same. All my amps are Vox or my own, and my guitars cover the spectrum of styles but no Paul.
Electric Penguin

Postby nes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:39 am

I have 4 guitars.

An Ibanez starter acoustic
A black strat
A Takamine elec/acoustic
A Gibson ES-175dSH

I find myself mostly playing the Tak and the Gibson. I do love the strat. It's easy to play, sounds great, and is excellent for sustained parts, but I find my self to be one of those tone snobs, so it goes without saying that on the 175, I have .012-.052s on it and I use 1mm picks. It sounds great plugged in with a clean tone (too bad I broke my amps' preamp board). It's got a really great jazz sound.
nes

Postby john mccleary » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:40 pm

I used to have a Rickenbaker.I read an artical ln guitar player mag Where the reporter asked Chris What was in his floor pedal box.He said normal stuff and a few trade secrets.He has not changed much.My theory is Chris is the first bassist in proggesvie rock and laid out on the map :)
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Re: Devotion to one type of guitar

Postby Dr_Yes » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:40 pm

Psssst.

I've got a new PRS guitar everyone (well new to me!).

I've also got a Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 amp and a Line 6 POD Pro Live.

Now if I had:

a) a band
b) the enthusiasm
c) some talent

Life would be dandy.

Dr_Yes

Return to We Love When We Play