Im stuck

Im stuck

Postby child-of-the-light » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:30 pm

I've been playing the guiatr for about a year now and i'm realy loving it. I'm very happy with the progress I have been making, but suddenly everything seems to have slowed down. I know , for the most part, how to read sheet music. I know I should work on being able to sight read, but other than that I don't know where to go from here. I would love to try and join a band but unfortunately the people i'm surrounded by that are interested in starting a band listen to a lot of 80's metal (which im not realy crazy about). Any advice for a kid who wants to keep moving?
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:51 pm

Make jam tapes to play along to so you can improve your leads.
Play along to the tunes you want to learn.
Get good equipment.
Jam w/ as many other musicians as possible. Join a group and learn new styles, like jazz or pop or hard rock even. The experience will further your musicianship.
Learn some classical pieces like Mood for a Day.
Practice scales. Get a scale book.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

My advice

Postby EricBliss12345 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Would be to listen to as much music as you can, not just rock. My songwriting fucking BLOSSOMED when I started being more openminded last year about what I listen to. You don't necessarily have to be good technically, just so long as you have a lot of outlets from which to steal from.

Keep yourself open to pop music and even disco
so you don't forget about incorporating the all important hooks into your music. Keep on listening to the prog for inspiration and ambition. Listen to the rock to keep your base steady. Throw some jazz in there too, even if you aren't gonna be a jazz player it helps to learn some jazzy stuff for little licks and fills. Electronic music has a lot to offer sonically as well.

If you overstuff your brain with a bunch of different music it helps trust me! I didn't start getting an abundance of songwriting ideas until I put the progrock down.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

gettig better

Postby poodeeo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:54 pm

Go here http://planetalk.thatllteachyou.com/video.html

Buy the book & video. You'll never need to remember a scale again and you'll want to throw away all of your theory books.
poodeeo

Charter Member

Postby john mccleary » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:08 am

I played the bass by learning by ear.Ive heard the argumet many times Sheet music is better than learning by ear The jury is still out on that one. :)
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Return to We Love When We Play