Transitioning to Yes

Transitioning to Yes

Postby Sidewinder_6 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:17 am

I'm been a die-hard Yes fan for about 4 years now, due to the fact that I wasn't around for the 70's stuff and was disenchanted with their 80's line-up (I guess that makes me a Ladder). I have friends who are classic rock lovers (Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc.). What I really need are some good Yes songs to try and get them to appreciate (or at least listen to) Yes and Progressive Rock. Does anyone have any suggestions of albums or songs that would be fitting?
Sidewinder_6

Postby fragilesi » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 am

For the least adventurous try Roundabout.

For the adventurous try Sound Chaser.

For the serious, like to give music a real listen and not judge it straight away, Close to the Edge - the album!
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:26 am

Personally, I'd introduce them to "The Yes Album". Wonderful to get someone started on the band.
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby frankh » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Personally, I'd introduce them to "The Yes Album". Wonderful to get someone started on the band.

Absolutely!

First of all, there are tracks here that novitiates could indeed have heard, but didn't realize were Yes ( as occurred with me! ).

Starship Trooper, Yours Is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change.

Anyone who listens to the so-called Classic Rock stations know Your Move/All Good People is Yes.These others get so much less airplay!You hear them once in awhile, but entirely too seldom.

Second of all, The Yes Album is still the most positive of all their work.The album positively glistens, it shimmers with hope and optimism;less so lyrically than musically.

Thirdly, Steve Howe arrived here.Much as I love all of Steve's work ( I've become a huge fan of his later stuff, his later playing.To my ears he may be doing/have done his best work now/in the past few years ), there are a couple of places where he really stood up/out.One of these is on The Yes Album.Imagine it's because he wanted to demonstrate his arrival.

(Another place:Relayer.Rick, departed.Steve seemed to feel the need to compensate for his absence.Another place :D rama.Largely the same reasons)

Yes.The Yes Album is a great place to start.Absolutely!
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby john mccleary » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:52 am

the yes album. listen to it sevale tiimes.I listned to Yes 3 years before I heard Tales.
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby IGSXIII » Wed May 30, 2007 1:33 am

I'd recommend YesSongs, the live album. That one had great energy and the same ass kicking edge that bands like Led Zeppelin had.
IGSXIII

Re: Transitioning to Yes

Postby Dr_Yes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Good call -- Yessongs. Amazing energy. Yes live in the 70s was something to behold.

Shame the same can't be said of the 2000 tours. Too slow and lacklustre for me I am afraid.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby N2yes » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:38 am

RELAYER....in its entirety!!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby elminster06 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:18 am

Absolutly "The Yes Album" is the best album to start.
For other I'll rather suggest "Going for the one" than "Relayer"
easier to listen for a first timer.

Something you can do, that's how i discovered Yes and fell in love with their music, is by takin "Classic Yes". I'm not a great fan of greatesthits album, but this album rock and have only, but not all, essential.
"heart of the sunrise"
"Wonderous Storie"
"Yours is no disgrace"
"Starship Trooper"
"Long Distance runaround"
"The Fish"
"And you and i"
"Roundabout"
"I've Seen all the good People"

Nothing too long or too short and all the essence of the Yes classic era.
Only minus is that they should have put "SoundChaser" on it but nothing is perfect in this world.

With that album you can make you're idea on wich period of Yes you prefer and take the album with your favorite track to rediscover them in the album logic. after that go to more hardore fan album like "Relayer" or "Tales of the topographic ocean".

hope my advice will help you discover the great band that is YES. [8]
[LEFT]I'm the Dude. So that's
what you call me. That, or Duder.
His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if,
you know, you're not into the whole
brevity thing.
-the big lebowski-
[/LEFT]
elminster06

Return to We Love When We Play