Your Move



Your Move

Postby child-of-the-light » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:02 am

For the pat few years I've been playing 'Your Move' with
E
F#m
G#m
A.
It works, but doesnt sound nearly as nice as what steve does. I figured his just sounded nicer because he used the portugese guitar, but does anyone have chords I can use on the 6 string that might sound a bit more like the studio recrding?
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

User avatar
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:44 am
Location: Queens, NY

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:55 pm

child-of-the-light wrote:For the pat few years I've been playing 'Your Move' with
E
F#m
G#m
A.
It works, but doesnt sound nearly as nice as what steve does. I figured his just sounded nicer because he used the portugese guitar, but does anyone have chords I can use on the 6 string that might sound a bit more like the studio recrding?

I found a tab for it at powertabs.net but it sounds (and looks) way to basic to me and the rhythm doesn't sound right to me either. But it may help (at least with the tuning and capo placement if nothing else) so here it is:

http://www.powertabs.net/tablature.php?id=18296

You'll need to download the Powertab Editor if you don't already have it:

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:01 pm

BTW, be sure to click on Performance Notes via the View menu and you can also view the Chord Diagram List via the Guitar menu. Also on the Guitar menu is the Guitar Setup which gives you the tuning, midi instrument sounds, etc.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby child-of-the-light » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:10 am

My god, thank you so much. I actualy downloaded that tablature a long time ago, but never bothered to look at the performance notes or the tuning. That sounds so much better than what ive been doing.
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

User avatar
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:44 am
Location: Queens, NY

Postby Terry Shea » Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Actually Steve uses quite a different tuning though. From his book The Steve Howe Guitar Collection:

"The top string's tuned to A-flat, above the guitar, and then it goes E, B, E, B, E. The first 3 pairs are tuned in unison-two A-flats, two Es, two Bs-then the next E is split high and low, B high and low, and the E is the same pitch as the fourth course, split high and low."

Of course if you tune it that way it's going to totally mess up the tab and you'll have to start again from scratch.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby RanCan2112 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Actually the tuning is almost identical, w/the exception of the 6th string, due to the transposition offered by the capo.
With the capo at the 4th fret as indicated..the open strings are (low to high) G#-B-E-B-E-G#, which is the same tuning as the Portugese guitar (except for the low 6th string).
The 12 string probably doesn't have the same scale length as the Portugese guitar, so it wouldn't be possible to tune it to the same pitches.

All the frets indicated in the tab are relative to the capo, so the 0 fret is actually the 4th fret.

Don't know why he didn't tune the 6th string to C (maybe it's too low) for the tab.
RanCan2112

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: MA.

Postby Terry Shea » Thu May 10, 2007 11:41 pm

RanCan2112 wrote:Actually the tuning is almost identical, w/the exception of the 6th string, due to the transposition offered by the capo.
With the capo at the 4th fret as indicated..the open strings are (low to high) G#-B-E-B-E-G#, which is the same tuning as the Portugese guitar (except for the low 6th string).
The 12 string probably doesn't have the same scale length as the Portugese guitar, so it wouldn't be possible to tune it to the same pitches.

All the frets indicated in the tab are relative to the capo, so the 0 fret is actually the 4th fret.

Don't know why he didn't tune the 6th string to C (maybe it's too low) for the tab.
Well, no not quite. Steve specifically states his special tuning starts on the bass E-string:

"The top string's tuned to A-flat, above the guitar..."

So the tab in question is actually tuned upside down to Steve's tuning, but still with one pair of E-strings tuned wrong.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby RanCan2112 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:27 am

Sorry..I'm going to disagree..and here's why..
For whatever reason..referring to the top string is the same as referring to the high E string on the guitar, even though when holding a guitar , the low E string is actually "on top" of the other strings(unless you're Albert King). Maybe because in tablature the 1st string is the highest line..on top of the staff.

Steve's comments about how the courses are tuned also indicates that the G# (or Ab) is the highest pitch..the first 3 courses (G#, E, B) are tuned in unison..and the bottom 3 are tuned in octaves. The first 2 courses on a 12 string are tuned in unison, with the other 4 tuned to octaves. Look at the picture in the book..the different string gauges indicate which strings are tuned in unison and which are split (the 5th and 4th courses consist of different gauge strings, indicating they're split octaves).

Further more, the tuning itself is an open E major chord. It makes more sense to have the root of the chord in the bass, as opposed to the 3rd of the chord

Hope that all makes sense,
Matt
RanCan2112

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: MA.

Postby Terry Shea » Fri May 11, 2007 11:26 pm

RanCan2112 wrote:Sorry..I'm going to disagree..and here's why..
For whatever reason..referring to the top string is the same as referring to the high E string on the guitar, even though when holding a guitar , the low E string is actually "on top" of the other strings(unless you're Albert King). Maybe because in tablature the 1st string is the highest line..on top of the staff.

Steve's comments about how the courses are tuned also indicates that the G# (or Ab) is the highest pitch..the first 3 courses (G#, E, B) are tuned in unison..and the bottom 3 are tuned in octaves. The first 2 courses on a 12 string are tuned in unison, with the other 4 tuned to octaves. Look at the picture in the book..the different string gauges indicate which strings are tuned in unison and which are split (the 5th and 4th courses consist of different gauge strings, indicating they're split octaves).

Further more, the tuning itself is an open E major chord. It makes more sense to have the root of the chord in the bass, as opposed to the 3rd of the chord

Hope that all makes sense,
Matt


Yup, after studying the picture closely I think you're right. I know that what is usually referred to as the top of the guitar is the high e-string, but what threw me off was his comment "...above the guitar...". That made me think that he was starting off with the lowest set of strings.

Of course if you throw a lefty into the mix it really can get confusing! :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby RanCan2112 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:22 am

Yeah..that's an confusing statement to me as well..I can only think that he means G# above the standard tuning of the string.

Matt
RanCan2112

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: MA.

Postby Terry Shea » Sat May 12, 2007 4:07 am

It seems strange that he'd tune the natural B strings to E too, and does he tune them up or down?
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby RanCan2112 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:01 pm

I think the scale length is different than of a normal guitar, so that the normal pitch of the 2nd string isn't B.

Here's more info right from Steve's website:

"I call it a Portuguese guitar, and the tuning I use is two D strings tuned to E, two A strings tuned to B, two D strings tuned to E again, something like two .16s for a high B, and then E which will be two .12s, then the top string is in A flat, which has to be an .008 gauge tuned to A flat. I do use the same tunings on both songs, both songs are based around D or E."

http://forum.yestalk.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=102174
RanCan2112

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: MA.

Postby RanCan2112 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:03 pm

I was searching Steve's site for another answer about his steel guitar..and came across this

In "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" book, you mention the tuning you use on your Portuguese 12 string but I did not understand it because you mention the top string to be A flat below the guitar, what is the top string, what does that mean?

"There must be a mistake, [the book says] the top string should be A flat above the guitar, not below on the guitar. That's what the top string would be."
RanCan2112

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: MA.

Postby Terry Shea » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 pm

RanCan2112 wrote:I was searching Steve's site for another answer about his steel guitar..and came across this

In "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" book, you mention the tuning you use on your Portuguese 12 string but I did not understand it because you mention the top string to be A flat below the guitar, what is the top string, what does that mean?

"There must be a mistake, [the book says] the top string should be A flat above the guitar, not below on the guitar. That's what the top string would be."

Okay, I think I'm even more confused now by Steve's explanation. :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby khalpin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 am

On a side note, I was watching the DVD, I forget what it's called....basically a documentary on Yes from '68 - '73 with mostly just reviews and criticism by members of the press. But anyway, there was a little section where one critic was talking about how great Your Move was and he had an acoustic guitar showing how the chord progression goes. Obviously, it wasn't note for note as Steve doesn't even use a 6-string guitar but I liked what he was playing, watched it again and learned it real quick. Anyway, here are the chords:

---0----0---0--0---------------------
---0----5---7--5---------------------
---9----6---8--6---------------------
---9----7---9--7---------------------
---7----0---0--0---------------------
---0----0---0--0---------------------

---0--------------5---------2---------5--
---0----10--------5----5----2----5----5--
---9----9---------6----4----2----4----6--
---9----7----9----7----2----4----2----7--
---7----x----9----7----x----4----x----7--
---0----9----7----5----4----2----4----5--


Repeat
khalpin

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2001 1:53 am
Location: Holland Twsp, nj, USA.


Return to We Love When We Play

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron