All about Yes Musicians

All about Yes Musicians

Postby ziggyzep69 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 am

Hello fellow yes fans and musicians. im currently new to the forum and I love what this has to offer for the people who appreciate these wonderful musicians,Yes. im 17 years old have been playing guitar for about 7 years now, and am inspired by the craftsmanship, and production , of yesmusic (especiallys howes material). I have been looking to start a yes tribute band of a sort within the northwest area of the states. Ohyeah, i know majority of howes material bye ear, (transposing to the best of my ability ) Although hes a tricky bugger sometimes. im currently looking for mores ideas on what can be achieved in the yes tribute bands, and the community. ThatsRight Spread the word! Keep the candlelit.

anyways, much help would definantly appreciated
ziggyzep69

Re: All about Yes Musicians

Postby Roan's Lady » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:09 pm

ziggyzep69 wrote:Hello fellow yes fans and musicians. im currently new to the forum and I love what this has to offer for the people who appreciate these wonderful musicians,Yes. im 17 years old have been playing guitar for about 7 years now, and am inspired by the craftsmanship, and production , of yesmusic (especiallys howes material). I have been looking to start a yes tribute band of a sort within the northwest area of the states. Ohyeah, i know majority of howes material bye ear, (transposing to the best of my ability ) Although hes a tricky bugger sometimes. im currently looking for mores ideas on what can be achieved in the yes tribute bands, and the community. ThatsRight Spread the word! Keep the candlelit.

Welcome, ZiggyZep - it's great to have you here, and fantastic that Yes and Steve Howe have been such an inspiration to you. You know most of Howe's material by ear? That's quite something. Perhaps here there are people who could help you with ideas in starting a Yes tribute band, and you also might want to seek some help/advice at allgoodpeople.net and yesfans.com. Good luck to you! :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby Kalingzeye » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:50 pm

ziggyzep69 wrote:Hello fellow yes fans and musicians. im currently new to the forum and I love what this has to offer for the people who appreciate these wonderful musicians,Yes. im 17 years old have been playing guitar for about 7 years now, and am inspired by the craftsmanship, and production , of yesmusic (especiallys howes material). I have been looking to start a yes tribute band of a sort within the northwest area of the states. Ohyeah, i know majority of howes material bye ear, (transposing to the best of my ability ) Although hes a tricky bugger sometimes. im currently looking for mores ideas on what can be achieved in the yes tribute bands, and the community. ThatsRight Spread the word! Keep the candlelit.

OMGZ yayyy young YESfan~ :D Where in the NW are ya located? I go between PA and San Francisco, CA most of the year. I've kinda been interested in doing a YEStribute myself, although I've never gotten up the courage to go searching, haha. I play a little bass (although probably not as good as your guitar!), some YES stuff in there. I took lessons from a fantastically talented guy for like... 4 years. I love Squire's stuff, it's very dynamic. I'm also interested in vocals; I think I have more confidence in my singing than in my playing, hahaha... who knows, though. :D But its great to see more young YESfans around here (I'm 19 myself). I love your attitude! :o
Kalingzeye

Postby ziggyzep69 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm

hey thanks for the welcome roans lady, much appreciated. Im from Spokane,WA. Thats awesome you play bass? yeah squire is an awesome bassist with creative lines. the combination of howes chord/lead progressions, and squires ability to manipulate and mesh his roots enable a disonence in the parts, but a perfect fusion. Im interested in some of your work. what can you play?
ziggyzep69

Postby Kalingzeye » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:00 am

Since I've been in college, which has been around a year now, I haven't been able to play much. I don't have as much time to sit down and practice as much as I used to, and my teacher's on the east coast, so that's outta the question, haha... I miss having people to play with. D: It sucks. Anyway! What was I saying?... Yeah, my favourite to play and learn on my own was mostly YESstuff, some I found on online tablature sites and some songs by ear. My favourites YESsongs to play were Mind Drive, Release Release, Time And A Word, and Long Distance Runaround. Eh. But when I was taking lessons, I did a LOT of like... Led Zeppelin. I know most of the tunes off of I, II, and IV, few off III, and a few random songs. I also really enjoy a lot of Beatles tunes (they're just really fun to play, generally) and some Who and Ozzy stuff. ♥ How bout you?
Kalingzeye

Postby john mccleary » Thu May 15, 2008 2:40 pm

I played bass for 20 years.Have not played bass for 13 years.I love Chris and Getty.A coworker wants to play guiater with me. He is from Fla.and has a new strat and a Fender amp.I got out my stuff and dusted it off.I will get new strings today .I am very happy. :) .
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm kind of multi instrumental
it sort of depends on what I'm playing instrumant wise what music I can play
Wakemans stuff is a little beyond me on piano
though I can play the opener to Awaken
I do know alot of the Howe stuff especially his acustic works and some of the Brufford/White stuff
and Kota we need to be in a band cause that's all the music I play along with some floyd and supertramp and styx
but the Zeppelin Stuff especially off of the first 5 albums
and the first 7 Rush albums
I got Down
Probably my favorite stuff to play on guitar is "over the Hills and Far away","La Villa Strangiato",Everything off those first 5 zep albums really and most of Caress Of Steel,2112,fly By night,
Clap,Mood For A Day,Leaves of Green,Your Move,Yours is no Disgrace,Long distance runaround,Turn of the Century(though I mess that one up often)
I put my music down for a few years but I'm going mad with it again
Drumming and guitar especially
but I'd love to get to a Grand Piano and Pound out chords for Days
something about the Piano that spellbinds me
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm only 14, must be one of the youngest here! I can play most of Rick's stuff on the piano and organ (Including Roundabout solo).

It's hard to learn these tunes by ear, and the only official songbook available seems to be the Alfred's Classic Albums: Fragile one (which has all the exact keyboard transcriptions of Rick Wakeman). I'm aware that a Yes: Complete songbook exists though I don't own it and have heard that it's very dumbed down; just the main melodies and stuff. Does anyone know of any other Yes sheet music here? It would be much appreciated! :D
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Wakemaniac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 pm

17 years old?????!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!Fair play to you!!It is so heartwarming to know there is indeed a new generations of Yes fans!True music is forever!You are one of us! [:yes]
Wakemaniac

Postby Wakemaniac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 pm

FANTASTIC!!!14 years old.....I know your problem,for I also am a keyboardist...wish I knew where to find sheet music....Where did you find the keyboards parts on Fragile?
Thanks,Caroline [:yes] songs :)

thehallway wrote:I'm only 14, must be one of the youngest here! I can play most of Rick's stuff on the piano and organ (Including Roundabout solo).

It's hard to learn these tunes by ear, and the only official songbook available seems to be the Alfred's Classic Albums: Fragile one (which has all the exact keyboard transcriptions of Rick Wakeman). I'm aware that a Yes: Complete songbook exists though I don't own it and have heard that it's very dumbed down; just the main melodies and stuff. Does anyone know of any other Yes sheet music here? It would be much appreciated! :D
Wakemaniac

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Wonderful to see young fans here! Welcome!

Hopefully someone will stop by with some information regarding printed Yes music. You might peruse some of the other threads in this forum as well - I'm thinking I've seen this topic broached before.
tardistraveler

Postby the greenman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 pm

great to see Yes music reaching out to young folk! Welcome to this place. I suggest you contact the keyboard players/guitarists in one of the Yes tribute bands - try Max at Fragile - the UK Yes Tribute band, I'm sure he'd be keen to help young fans help to perpetuate the music.

Enjoy the journey, it'll bring you joy throughout your life, especially if you can play it & help share it with people of the next generation..

Marc
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

the greenman wrote:great to see Yes music reaching out to young folk! Welcome to this place. I suggest you contact the keyboard players/guitarists in one of the Yes tribute bands - try Max at Fragile - the UK Yes Tribute band, I'm sure he'd be keen to help young fans help to perpetuate the music.

Enjoy the journey, it'll bring you joy throughout your life, especially if you can play it & help share it with people of the next generation..

Marc

Ah yes, I've seen Fragile live at a warm up gig last month in a church. Most of the other people there were very old :eek: .

I couldn't think of a more appropiate location for 'Awaken'...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Wakemaniac wrote:FANTASTIC!!!14 years old.....I know your problem,for I also am a keyboardist...wish I knew where to find sheet music....Where did you find the keyboards parts on Fragile?
Thanks,Caroline [:yes] songs :)

The publisher 'Alfred' have released a classic albums series of songbooks, including two editions of Fragile (One with guitar tab and one for keyboards). I bought the keyboard one a few months back and it has to be own of the best songbooks I own. It has all the EXACT transcriptions (and solos) of Wakeman. Most good sheet music retailers should sell it, try sheetmusic plus: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?item=7650405&cart=1230200811194540604&cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:38 pm

thehallway wrote:Ah yes, I've seen Fragile live at a warm up gig last month in a church. Most of the other people there were very old :eek: .

I couldn't think of a more appropiate location for 'Awaken'...

that would include me then!! I was the one of those who hobbled in on the zimmer frame! Cheeky young whippersnapper ;-)

Great gig tho' wasnt it - agree re Awaken & that setting! Amazing.. If you cant get the real thing, that was pretty close! :cool:
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:35 am

thehallway wrote: I'm aware that a Yes: Complete songbook exists though I don't own it and have heard that it's very dumbed down; just the main melodies and stuff. Does anyone know of any other Yes sheet music here? It would be much appreciated! :D

It's been years (20+) since I saw the Yessong book you are referring to. Never bought it when I had the chance, but I do know my brother had at one time the sheet music (song book) for The Yes Album as well as Fragile.
I'm sure if you do a little research on the internet you can still locate one somewhere.
Just located it on Amazon however it is "currently not available"
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Turns out the book's out of print, but I managed to download a PDF copy (pretty big file), and it isn't that great. I'm still waiting for Alfred to publish more note-for-note album books.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Return to We Love When We Play