Tales from the Topographic Oceans and Atlantis

Tales from the Topographic Oceans and Atlantis

Postby The Light » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:05 am

Is "Tales" about the continent of Atlantis?
The Light

Postby khalpin » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:19 am

No.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:05 pm

No. It's actually based on the four Shastric scriptures that Jon Anderson discovered when he was leafing through the book "Autobiography Of A Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's the best damned album Yes ever put out as well.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby YesForSure » Mon May 08, 2006 10:50 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:No. It's actually based on the four Shastric scriptures that Jon Anderson discovered when he was leafing through the book "Autobiography Of A Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's the best damned album Yes ever put out as well.

Indeed it is my friend, Indeed it is.
Interesting, the Atlantic concept.
YesForSure

Postby the whale » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:30 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:No. It's actually based on the four Shastric scriptures that Jon Anderson discovered when he was leafing through the book "Autobiography Of A Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's the best damned album Yes ever put out as well.

I would agree!!
And all the dreams that come true... So surprising how it catches you! [:yes]
the whale

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:49 pm

You might say that "The Ancient" pays homage to the Atlanteans, as well as other ancient civilizations.
tardistraveler

Postby john mccleary » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:55 pm

I got that album when I wa 15.At that time I only listned to the bass parts ;) I dont think it has anything to do with Atlantis.
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby Sidewinder_6 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:48 am

No argument here. Admittedly it took me a while to get into the middle songs on the album (The Remembering and The Ancient) Such an important collection of progressive rock. While we're on the subject, anyone know why Rick would eat curry on stage during the tour? I know originally he wasn't pleased with the material but I don't get the curry.
Sidewinder_6

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Sidewinder_6 wrote:No argument here. Admittedly it took me a while to get into the middle songs on the album (The Remembering and The Ancient) Such an important collection of progressive rock. While we're on the subject, anyone know why Rick would eat curry on stage during the tour? I know originally he wasn't pleased with the material but I don't get the curry.

Just making a show of his boredom, I would think . . .
tardistraveler

Postby N2yes » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Yeah, Rick's attitude towards this release was not good. I think Diane has it right.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby stinky britches » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:39 pm

N2yes wrote:Yeah, Rick's attitude towards this release was not good. I think Diane has it right.
Rick has made some harsh comments about Tales over the years. For my money it's a fantastic Yes album. It took me quite a while to get to grips with it, but it was a worthwhile journey
stinky britches

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:38 am

stinky britches wrote:Rick has made some harsh comments about Tales over the years. For my money it's a fantastic Yes album. It took me quite a while to get to grips with it, but it was a worthwhile journey

To be fair to old flakey Wakey he's been totally consistent in those comments over the years, and says that while he tried REALLY HARD to leanr to like it on tour, he just couldn't.

He's always said the same things: too much padding, too much stuff worked out in the studio that should have been worked out in the rehearsal room, too much for a single album, but not enough for a double, loads of great melodies and songs (he often quotes Nous Sommes here), but a lot of stuff that made it like 'wading through a cesspool to find a lily'.

So I am happy to cut him some slack. Personally I love Tales, but if someone asked me to play Big Generator followed by Endless Dream 100-nights in a row on tour, I'd need more than a bloody curry to get me through it.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Re: Tales from the Topographic Oceans and Atlantis

Postby stinky britches » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:57 am

Dr_Yes wrote:'wading through a cesspool to find a lily'
that's a bloody great quote
stinky britches

Postby stinky britches » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:58 am

Dr_Yes wrote:if someone asked me to play Big Generator followed by Endless Dream 100-nights in a row on tour, I'd need more than a bloody curry to get me through
that's even better :D
stinky britches

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:11 am

Dr_Yes wrote: Personally I love Tales, but if someone asked me to play Big Generator followed by Endless Dream 100-nights in a row on tour, I'd need more than a bloody curry to get me through it.

Damn it. Too bad Mood and Penn aren't on this site so I could give them and you shit about this quote. :D
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:19 pm

stinky britches wrote:that's even better :D

Hee hee hee :D

One of my better moments.

Dr_Yes

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Damn it. Too bad Mood and Penn aren't on this site so I could give them and you shit about this quote. :D

C'mon Arlene bring 'em on over!

A debate on the relative (lack) of merits of BG and Talk is just what we need to spice things up a bit. In a friendly way of course :D .

Dave.

Dr_Yes

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:C'mon Arlene bring 'em on over!

A debate on the relative (lack) of merits of BG and Talk is just what we need to spice things up a bit. In a friendly way of course :D .

Dave.

C'mon Arlene?

There's a song in there somewhere. Where's me dungies? As my two-year old might say.

Dr_Yes

Return to The Playground