Album/CD release date game

Re: Album/CD release date game

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:37 am

thehallway wrote:Ah, this must be King Crimson!

It's lucky I bought this month's "1969 edition" of Mojo magazine.

So the bassist in question is Peter Giles?

Right on the band, it´s Crimson alright, the album "in the court of the crimson king".The bassist isn´t Giles though, it´s Greg Lake that would soon leave Crimson to form along with palmer and...well you know them.

The Greenman, you were waiting for your turn on the game, give it a shot.
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:21 am

ok; now this could be easy or difficult! Recorded in September/October '68, this was released in November '68 (great year for music!).

It's largely a cult favourite, despite the profile of its oft curmudgeonly singer - with no significant label backing, it failed to achieve significant mainstream success for decades, and only finally went gold 33 years after its release in 2001.

Any offers..?
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Haze » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm

the greenman wrote:ok; now this could be easy or difficult! Recorded in September/October '68, this was released in November '68 (great year for music!).

It's largely a cult favourite, despite the profile of its oft curmudgeonly singer - with no significant label backing, it failed to achieve significant mainstream success for decades, and only finally went gold 33 years after its release in 2001.

Any offers..?

Okey... this is probably way off mark, but I have to try: Troggs with "Love is all around"? I think they released that one in late '68 and finally got recognition when the song was used in the movie "Notting Hill". Albeit that it was a cover version in the movie...
Haze

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 pm

er, nope.. not that one.. one of this artists other tracks (and albums) might go down well in the land of the midnight sun.. (or maybe not...)
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Haze wrote:Okey... this is probably way off mark, but I have to try: Troggs with "Love is all around"? I think they released that one in late '68 and finally got recognition when the song was used in the movie "Notting Hill". Albeit that it was a cover version in the movie...

but let me add - quite by chance, that Chief Trogg, Reg Presley, is a local lad to me here in Hampshire! Got very into crop circles did our Reg.. & of course, his pension fund got a great boost when 'Love is all around' was picked up by Wet, Wet, Wet..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 pm

let me make it easy for you - the artist who recorded this has been consistently popular down the years, but this was one of his least 'accessible' albums.

That said, it's just been re-recorded in a way which the artist says allows him to complete the vision of what he'd always intended but couldnt deliver at the time, due to time constraints..

That any better?!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am

Still no guesses? Aw, C'mon - this guy is THE Man!

you must be able to get it from that... Should be easy for Wakemaniac...
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Surely it's not wakeman
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:35 am

To be sure you are not right Hallway! May be it'll take weeks for you guys to figure this out..

(there's a couple of clues in there for you all - and really it isnt THAT obscure!)
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby fragilesi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Absolutely no idea . . .
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 am

I believe you are talking about one of the best songwriters in the world, Van 'the Man' Morrison and the album is 'Astral Weeks'.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 am

Well done Guild, absolutely spot on! No April Fools post that!

Sorry for the delay in picking this up - I've been away for work in Rome, with very limited internet access in the hotel where I was staying!

So it's over to you sir for the next!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby guilddigger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am

Oh, ok.
This is a groundbreaking album from 1966.
The last song on the album was actually the first one recorded and not, as most have believed, what the recordings led to.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Haze » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm

This is a tough one again (appreciated). So many great, "groundbreaking", albums was released in 1966: Beach Boys - Pet Sounds; Beatles - Revolver; Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage...; John Mayall - Bluesbreakers w/ Clapton; Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde; Frank Zappa - Freak Out and many more.. Checking those albums out no-one seems to fit the clue you gave. Who could it be, who could it be? Have to dwell deeper on this one...
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:59 am

You are so close buddy.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm

No other takes?
A clue?
The follow-up was even more groundbreaking and influential on the way albums was recorded from then on, all those years ago.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 am

Could this be Revolver, by the Fabs? released August 1966.. & followed by Sgt Pepper, of course..

In some ways, I find this a more innovative & satisying album than Pepper, featuring - among other things - Harrison's first foray on the Sitar..

Pepper seems to pick up some of the same concepts & just move them on a bit..where as compared to Rubber Soul, which preceeded it, this really was ground breaking!

but of course, I could be wrong in this guess! (ah! & I see Haze mentioned it anyway!)
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Haze » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:25 am

the greenman wrote:Could this be Revolver, by the Fabs? released August 1966.. & followed by Sgt Pepper, of course..

In some ways, I find this a more innovative & satisying album than Pepper, featuring - among other things - Harrison's first foray on the Sitar..

Well. Be as it may that I mentioned "Revolver" in passing in an earlier post. After reading Greenmans entry I've started to lean towards this one too... If it's the one, Greenman gets the point! :)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 am

You are both correct!
The point goes to the man in green, but Haze gets an honorary mention for his "not unimportant contributions".

I too find 'Revolver' a more interesting album than 'Pepper' though the latter was a step forward in recording technology. According to my sources it was recorded on four tracks with a lot of ping pong tracking.

On 'Revolver', again according to my sources, 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was the first track recorded for the album and not the conclusion of the recordings as one would think.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Honours even then! So, who's up for having a go @ the next?
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:02 pm

If no one else wants it, may I have a go?
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby Haze » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 am

Tomfoolery wrote:If no one else wants it, may I have a go?

And...? Waiting impatiently for the next challenge... ;)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Ok... here goes:

This May, 1972 debut solo album, while panned by the critics and disappointing in commercial sales, launched a solo career that's still strong now. Previous to this album, this artist was a prominent member of a VERY notable New York based band. As a solo artist, he's had very limited airplay and only a couple of "top 20" hits over the past 40 plus years, but is considered highly influential in the world of rock and roll.

As a hint, this album featured two other artists as guests that are VERY well known to those that peruse this board and others like it.

One other hint - the artist is also a Tai-Chi master.

Artist and album?
Tomfoolery

Postby thehallway » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I havn't got a clue but I need to write something here because I accidently skipped past all the posts on this page and wrote a question of my own which I will now save for after.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Haze » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:00 am

Tomfoolery wrote:This May, 1972 debut solo album, while panned by the critics and disappointing in commercial sales, launched a solo career that's still strong now. Previous to this album, this artist was a prominent member of a VERY notable New York based band. As a solo artist, he's had very limited airplay and only a couple of "top 20" hits over the past 40 plus years, but is considered highly influential in the world of rock and roll.

As a hint, this album featured two other artists as guests that are VERY well known to those that peruse this board and others like it.

One other hint - the artist is also a Tai-Chi master.

I have about ten alternatives for this one too. But this time I'm only gonna answer. Artist: Lou Reed album: Lou Reed. This first solo album from him was released in 1972. It was produced by the very well-known artists David Bowie and Mick Ronson. And Lou originates from the New York based very notable The Velvet Underground. I know he tried almost every drug known to science in the seventies, but I don't know anything about him being a master of Tai-Chi, though?! :D

Anyway, I'm probably way off again...
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:26 am

Perhaps your are not too far way off Haze.
Before I read your reply my first guess was also Lou Reed.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Haze, you're 98 % right - the artist and album IS Lou Reed "Lou Reed". However, it wasn't produced by Bowie and Ronson - that was "Transformer", his second album. "Lou Reed" was produced by Richard Robinson and Lou Reed.

The two "session" musicians that played on it that would be of interest to most all of us were Wakeman and Howe ... I didn't know that Steve Howe played on it until I did a little digging to get my facts straight for this game, though. I've known for many, many years that Rick played keys on it.

Wonderful album. I searched for it for close to 10 years before I finally found it on vinyl in the mid-80s- I paid 13 dollars for a copy that was in "fair" condition in a used record shop. The guy wanted 20 bucks until I showed him the scratches (none of which skipped, fortunately) and commented on the worn spots on the jacket, so after a bit of haggling he dropped the price for me. It's playable, but unfortunately it's by NO means a pristine copy.

Interesting story - my son was about 6 months old when I bought it and he was playing happily on the living room floor when I put it on - when the opening notes of the track "Ocean" came on, his head lifted, he remained perfectly still and he stared at the sound system for the entire time the tune played. When it was over, his head dropped down and he went back to playing with whatever toy he was playing with as if he had never been interrupted. I tease him to this day (he's 22) about him being "hypnotized" by the "Ocean", and to this day, he's a music fanatic and he enjoys Lou Reed's music.

As far as Tai-Chi, Lou Reed was written up in Black Belt magazine several years ago - it was actually the cover story for that issue.

Who's next?[size=-1]

[/size]
Tomfoolery

Postby thehallway » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

I have a fairly easy one. It's an album that was released in October 1971 (around the same time as two VERY successful albums, one of which being Fragile) although the band wasn't too familiar at this point. The album in question would be followed by one of the best selling records in the world ever.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 am

Hmm, I'm thinking that the best selling album of all time might be 'dark side of the moon' which would make this Pink Floyd's Meddle? The one with the strangely organic cover...
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Ahh you got it.

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces..."

The cover is an ear underwater I believe.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground