Album/CD release date game

Re: Album/CD release date game

Postby Haze » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:57 am

Okey. A new and unbelievably simple one:

This album was released in the fall of 1974. It was actually the third one from this band! Although the first two aren't bad this was the one that put them on the musical map Big Time! Due to the huge success of this album they could ignore any economical crisis and later eat breakfast in America or Paris just the same...

Which band and which album?
Haze

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Supertramp, Crime of the Century

Another third album released July 1, 1997, by an experimental band who has influenced prog music greatly but shuns the prog label. In fact, the band had a "hit" on their first album, much to their dismay, and retreated from rather than embraced their fame. This album is considered a masterpiece and a classic by many, and although this band has an impressive catalog this album is their defining work. (I'm sure they would hate being so defined.)
yesireebob

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:14 am

yesireebob wrote:Supertramp, Crime of the Century

Another third album released July 1, 1997, by an experimental band who has influenced prog music greatly but shuns the prog label. In fact, the band had a "hit" on their first album, much to their dismay, and retreated from rather than embraced their fame. This album is considered a masterpiece and a classic by many, and although this band has an impressive catalog this album is their defining work. (I'm sure they would hate being so defined.)

OK Computer by Radiohead.

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Haze » Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 am

A slightly harder one than the last I posted:

This indeed progressive English band existed during a ten year period (1970 - 1980). The album I'm looking for was released in september 1977. It was the last one, from the band, to get a chart rating in the US. And it marked a change in musical direction from previous albums. This time you could hear both pop and punk songs on the album! To give you one additional clue; I could tell you that one brother is the reason there's never been a reunion.
Haze

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Could it be Gentle Giant's The Missing Piece?
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Good call, Hallway.. interestingly, if it is, there's a 'reunion' of sorts going on at the moment.. check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeOP1JLz3Wc

Think they played Sweden recently, perhaps thats whats in Haze's mind!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Haze » Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 am

thehallway wrote:Could it be Gentle Giant's The Missing Piece?

You answered correctly, sir! So I guess it's your turn now..

And yes, I was slightly inspired by the "talk" of a gig here in Sweden. Never heard from anyone who visited the supposed gig though... Really enjoyed the link to youtube, great to hear them as skilled and impressive as always!
Haze

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Sat May 02, 2009 11:38 am

Rememberer, over on Yesfans, posted this link which he said was a torrent of the Gotheburg gig. I havent listened so I dont know it it is..

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=246889

I never really got into this band before - now I wonder why - they're excellent!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Ok here goes.

1982. November.

Put together by the guitarist and released as a sort of 'extra ending' to the band's already finished career, compiled of mostly studio outakes and sessions.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 am

Could it be Led Zep's "Coda"?
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Tue May 05, 2009 9:32 am

Indeed. I knew it would be an easy one.

By the way I'm bewildered by the fact that the servers at my school havn't filtered out this forum. I guess filtering out the word "Yes" might trigger some technical disaster to occur as its such a common word.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Haze » Tue May 05, 2009 10:08 pm

guilddigger wrote:Could it be Led Zep's "Coda"?

S**t! I would've guessed the same if I hadn't missed it. Come on then, Guild, give us another one? :)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am

This group's debute album from 1971 has a few Yes connections.
It was recorded in the same studio as 'The Yes Album' and the singer was very much involved in another Yes album.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:00 am

hmm 'sgot me puzzled.. I was thinking Badger when I first read it (tho not sure about singer) but that was '73 (great cover...). Think we might need some more clues!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby guilddigger » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am

Here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul.
No that's not the one!

The band we're looking for broke up in 1973, right before their third album was released.
Clapton has on numerous occasions stated that their guitar player, who has had great success in his genre ever since, is THE best guitar player in the world.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 am

Got you stumped huh?

OK another clue then.

These guys were 'country boys at heart' and the guitarist A L certainly is one.
In fact, he is one of the best. Emmylou Harris has said that, when God asks her what she is proud of she will say 'I played rythm guitar in a band with A L'.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Haze » Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

guilddigger wrote:These guys were 'country boys at heart' and the guitarist A L certainly is one. In fact, he is one of the best. Emmylou Harris has said that, when God asks her what she is proud of she will say 'I played rythm guitar in a band with A L'.

Finally! Something to work with.. Well, the completion backward principle: A L has to be Albert Lee? Because I know he worked with Emmylou at some point. I also know that Albert Lee played in a band called "Heads, Hands & Feet" in the early seventies and they only released three albums between '71 and '73 (one extra in the nineties, mind you). The Yes connection has to be that the singer from HH&F produced the YES album TaaW and that Eddie Offord were involved in the making of the second HH&F album. Am I close? Didn't know that E.C. held A.L. that high though?
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 am

Finally!
You are so right.
Well done.

A L is indeed Albert Lee. The band is Heads, Hands & Feet and the debute (double) album was self titled.
Singer Tony Colton produced TAAW' (strangely enough with headphones on and kept saying "turn the bass up" and is therefore somewhat responsible for Mr Squire's succesful bass sound).

Here is a clip from 1971 at The Old Grey Whistle Test.
That's Ray Smith playing guitar while Albert Lee plays Dobro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfsZBOEJ58g&feature=related

But here is 'Mr Telecaster' himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk&feature=related

Now you give us something to sweat over!
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Tue May 12, 2009 12:50 pm

well done, Guild! Good challenge - certainly stumped my 'little grey cells'!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Wed May 13, 2009 5:53 pm

That one had been bothering me for days. Thank god someone else got it; I never would have arrived at that answer.

Nice one Guild
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Haze » Wed May 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Okey, it's my turn again. Something easier than Guilds, I guess, this time...

It's three-folded. I'm looking for this artists name and his third solo album name, as well as the year that was released? And I will not give any more clues than these:

1. His first band shared the name (almost) with a english progressive band from the same time.
2. His first band had their first hit single with a version of (my other fav band) Jethro Tulls "Locomotive Breath"!
3. He's been working with musicians like Ray Davies, Simon Phillips, Manfred Mann, Jack Bruce and many more. But he has YES in his veins!
3. You're more likely to "see" his music!
Haze

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 am

Good one!
The Internet is a fantastic source for research.
I think I know the answer, but I'll let someone else have a go first.
Time zones and these things, you know...
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Haze wrote:Okey, it's my turn again. Something easier than Guilds, I guess, this time...

It's three-folded. I'm looking for this artists name and his third solo album name, as well as the year that was released? And I will not give any more clues than these:

1. His first band shared the name (almost) with a english progressive band from the same time.
2. His first band had their first hit single with a version of (my other fav band) Jethro Tulls "Locomotive Breath"!
3. He's been working with musicians like Ray Davies, Simon Phillips, Manfred Mann, Jack Bruce and many more. But he has YES in his veins!
3. You're more likely to "see" his music!

I'm guessing that clue no.3 is a reference to film soundtracks? If so, the only person I can think of who's YES-related is Trevor Rabin. But without cheating I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about any of his solo albums. I've noticed some of his film work though, I believe he scored Armageddon, Remember the Titans, and National Treasure. More recently I was surprised to see his name in the credits of Snakes on a Plane.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Haze » Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 am

thehallway wrote:I'm guessing that clue no.3 is a reference to film soundtracks? If so, the only person I can think of who's YES-related is Trevor Rabin. But without cheating I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about any of his solo albums. I've noticed some of his film work though, I believe he scored Armageddon, Remember the Titans, and National Treasure. More recently I was surprised to see his name in the credits of Snakes on a Plane.

Your reply is registered. I will, however, wait another day to reveal the right answer just to see if someone else want to try.. And I do appreciate that you're keeping to the code: Not necessarily using the internet to find answers! ;)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby Haze » Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Okey, enough suspence! :) As it seems to be no-one else who wanna try... Of course thehallway is right: It's Trevor Rabin! And the album I sought was "Wolf" from 1981. An album that turned my guitarplaying around towards more technical grounds. I still think it's a great album. I also think Mr Rabin was an important part of YES! He arguably rejuvenited the sound in a way no new member had since... Well, actually since Steve Howe joined..
Haze

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Sun May 17, 2009 11:04 am

Good one, Haze! Much as like/love/adore the Howe era guitar sound, I like the 'refresh' that Rabin bought. Never really figured out why there was so much emnity from Howe towards him in terms of style. Being 'ousted' I can understand peeved him, but he seemed more upset about the fundamental difference in Style. Rabin could mix it up & play many different styles it seems to me & added some fresh production styles (along with Horne)
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Mon May 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Here's one for you.

Your only clue: Nelson, Otis, Lucky, Lefty and Charlie T. Jr.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Tue May 19, 2009 6:48 pm

might that be the Travelling Wilbury's Volume 1..? (& that's without cheating!) GReat, fun project which allowed some major stars to get back to what they really love, without the 'hassle', but it kind of morphed into that later on, sadly..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Correct!

I can't remember which one was which, but Lefty must have been Roy Orbison (I'm sure he was a left-handed guitarist). R.I.P Roy!
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Anyone care to resurrect this?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground