I still cannot get into the chatroom

I still cannot get into the chatroom

Postby wild_westie » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:55 am

Try as I may, I still cannot enter the chatroom. My computer locks up for a few seconds as well. I've tried, but to no avail. What must a body do? :confused:
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:13 am

I haven't forgotten you, I'm still searching for another reasonable solution...and hoping that the upgrade comes out soon, just in case that fixes it for you.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Postby doogee » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:22 pm

Ed Schaum wrote:I haven't forgotten you, I'm still searching for another reasonable solution...and hoping that the upgrade comes out soon, just in case that fixes it for you.

Ed

I hope that goes for me too Ed. :confused:
12 YEARS 44 WEEKS SMOKE FREE
doogee

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:02 pm

doogee wrote:I hope that goes for me too Ed. :confused:

Of course it does. However, your situation may be more difficult to solve.

There are many factors involved in where we go with this, and there's a history to consider also.

In general, any chat application is going to put a strain on resources. We got kind of lucky with the old one - it worked for most people and it didn't put a real big load on the server or anyone's machine. But people were getting knocked out of it, it would crash, the windows server really sucked.

I think (and I could be wrong here) that everyone tolerated the old one because you could kind of stay in there mostly, and the company was so excellent that the problems didn't really matter.

I think (and again I could be wrong) that the flash chat is working pretty nice for most people with fast machines, and it's got some doodads and pretty graphics, so people probably put up with the minor difficulties.

I might be able to figure out a way to use the old chat on this server, but it could be worse.

I haven't found a decent java chat that will work without me having root access to the server to install a full blown application.

And I refuse to use a hosted chat - I'm not going to pay someone else to serve up targeted ads to my members based on what they're chatting about.

If anybody knows of a really good chat program that will integrate with the member database of this software, I'm open to suggestions, especially if there's something really good out there.

As a last ditch effort, I heard that this worked for someone: while the chat is failing to load, keep hitting reload on your browser up to a dozen times (wait at least 20 seconds between reloads. However, it'll never work 100% if you don't get the software installed - maybe check out the macromedia site, they might have a lite version of flash for your OS.
Ed Schaum

Postby Ed Schaum » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:29 pm

Some possible good news for the (hopefully near) future:

4) 3.9 will include an HTML/Javascript version of FlashChat, just in case you have users who do not want to use the Flash interface. The HTML/Javascript version will feature NO PAGE REFRESHES... impossible, you say? Actually, there is a trick in Javascript that will allow direct, 2-way communication between Javascript and a web server without requiring HTML page refreshes. And no, it does not involve frames, iframes, or any hidden windows. It also does not involve specialized plug-ins. I think that this may be the first of its kind. It will work with most modern browsers, too, including IE, Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera.
Ed Schaum

Postby wild_westie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:56 pm

I'm getting into the chatroom now. Thank you ed!
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:30 pm

wild_westie wrote:I'm getting into the chatroom now. Thank you ed!

But...but... I didn't make any changes yet?!?!?!?!?!

Oh yeah, one other thing, I'm taking a survey and I'll need you to get naked :icon_love
Ed Schaum

Postby wild_westie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:15 pm

Ed Schaum wrote:But...but... I didn't make any changes yet?!?!?!?!?!

Oh yeah, one other thing, I'm taking a survey and I'll need you to get naked :icon_love

LOL! ;)
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:55 pm

ive noticed that sometimes you can get in no problem and sometimes

its a problem
some people in particular seem to never have a problem and some seem to never or rarely ever get in

and

can I see the results of the survey
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby wild_westie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:53 am

yesman90125 wrote:ive noticed that sometimes you can get in no problem and sometimes

its a problem
some people in particular seem to never have a problem and some seem to never or rarely ever get in

and

can I see the results of the survey

I haven't been in the chatroom for quite sometime. However, when I do check in, there isn't a soul in there.
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby YesDevotee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:58 am

Hi, I just joined this evening, and wondering if there's anything I need to download, because when I click on Yeschat, I'll see that my browser is trying to load the chat interface, but then nothing.

- John
YesDevotee

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:07 am

YesDevotee wrote:Hi, I just joined this evening, and wondering if there's anything I need to download, because when I click on Yeschat, I'll see that my browser is trying to load the chat interface, but then nothing.

- John

It only requires Flash, which most people already have installed. You might want to check to see if you have the latest Flash version, I think you need at least v7.

Hopefully that will help.
Ed Schaum

Postby YesDevotee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 am

Ed Schaum wrote:It only requires Flash, which most people already have installed. You might want to check to see if you have the latest Flash version, I think you need at least v7.

Hopefully that will help.

Alright, Ed, thanks! :)
YesDevotee

How DO you get into the chatroom?

Postby Hed G. » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Well? I seem to be at a loss...
Bruford Really Kicks Ass!
Hed G.

Postby Roan's Lady » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Hed G. wrote:Well? I seem to be at a loss...

Hi there, Hed! :)

Ed closed the chatroom temporarily, so that he can update the software.
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Return to YEStalk HELP