Another admin question: YesTalk censoring?

Another admin question: YesTalk censoring?

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:03 pm

Dear Ed:

For my own peace of mind, I need to ask you this. (smiles)

I noticed that the YesServices Newsletter was deleted from your forum. And it was recently remarked by a friend of mine that his notice about a New England YES fan club website was also deleted from YesTalk.

Is this because within those posts there were referrals to activities at YesFans.com, and is this because you consider it a "competitor forum"?

Before joining YesTalk, I did take the time to read the rules for the forum, and they said:

"Rules? We don't have any. YEStalk is an open forum, and everyone is encouraged to say whatever is on their mind. All we ask is that you have respect for the other members, treat them as if they were your own family."

...which, of course, is what YesServices has endeavored to do for the past three years -- help unify the fanbase, and provide opportunities for fans to meet one another, participate in YES-related activities, wherever they happen, without respect to forums or websites or affiliations of any kind.

If it has perhaps seemed like there are a lot of YesFans.com referrals, (for example in the pre-show party section), it is because that forum has been the one that provided the information. The newsletter distributes information acquired from ANY source, as long as the invitation is open to everyone and is not a private event.

If there had been YesTalk threads to use, they would have been listed. Same with SoundChaser.org Even the YesWorld hub, which used to be such a hotbed of activity, has pretty much ceased to be effective. Very little seems to happen there any more. The newsletter just has to go where the news is.

But this is not a recommendation that any one actually participate elsewhere as an active member. Anyone can go to an open-invitation party without joining a forum. And frankly, I find the YesFans forum crowded, poorly organized, and very over-crowded with non-YES junk that -- to me -- is of no particular interest.

But unfortunately, that seems to be the forum where fans actually plan to get together with other fans, and open the invitation to anyone from any forum, or from no forum, to join the parties.

There will never be one forum on the internet that is right for everyone. There is not one single "type" of fan. And there are over 80 YES conversation sites on the internet where fans gather to talk about the band.

But YesTalk is the ONLY one which -- for reasons I do not understand -- is deleting the YesServices Newsletter and not allowing its members to receive it, and seems to be making an effort of sorts to close its doors to "outsiders." ...at least, "outsiders" who make mention of YES activities that may be happening outside of this forum.

I hope that I am very wrong about this. I would love to be misinformed about this one. (smiles)

On the other hand, I understand completely, and acknowledge, your right and privilege as the forum owner to shut out anyone or anything that you think is not in the best interest of your members.

But if that is the case, I would like to know what aspect of the YesServices Newsletter you consider to be against the best interest of your members. The objective of the newsletter is to increase fan unity globally, to build enthusiasm and support for YES, and to help make people feel a vital part of a larger objective.

If YesTalk is not a part of that larger band-support objective, just say so and I will understand. This was just the first time I have ever encountered a forum that deleted YES news and fan news. I've seen deletion of bad language, of sexual inuendo, of wild political rantings, and so forth... all of which seemed appropriate candidates for censorship in a public forum. But discovering that a forum also withholds YES information from its YES fan members was a new thing.

I just wanted to respectfully inquire about this, because it has never been my desire to "break any rules." I do my best to always behave within the guidelines of any YES group or forum to which I belong... and I belong to over 60 of them. This situation was just a first.

If I have violated some unwritten rule, I do apologize. But my curiosity forces me to at least inquire about this. Thank you for allowing me to ask.

Have a wonderful day!

Michele
believers@unplugusa.com
YesServices
http://www.yesservices.com
Michele

Postby pixiedave » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:13 pm

Michele wrote:Dear Ed:

For my own peace of mind, I need to ask you this. (smiles)

I noticed that the YesServices Newsletter was deleted from your forum. And it was recently remarked by a friend of mine that his notice about a New England YES fan club website was also deleted from YesTalk.

You beet me to it Michele! I would indeed like to know why you would not allow a link to be posted to a regional fan site. We are not trying to steel members from Yestalk, we are only opening a space on the web for New England yes fans! To delete my post is a disservice to all yestalk members who are from New England and anyone else for that matter.
"You Never Blow Your Trip Forever" Daevid Allen
[:yes]
New England Yesfans Chapter #1
pixiedave

PLEASE-everyone post an ad on another BBS telling about our

Postby pixiedave » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:42 pm

This is from Afterhours 1.0 I guess it does not work in reverse?
"Please-everyone post an ad on another BBS telling about our system."
pixiedave

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:36 am

The yesservices newsletter comes to several of my email addresses, none of which I've actively subscribed to. So I must assume that you send it to everyone and anyone whose email address you get a hold of. That being the (probable) case, I don't see any reason for the ads to be getting in the way of the discussions, especially when they usually contain numerous links to other forums.

It's one thing when members who regularly contribute to the discussions make an occasional mention of something they might want to plug, but the drop-and-run technique doesn't play very well with me, so messages like those are generally deleted on sight.

I'm sure you're both making a very valuable contribution to the Yes community at large, and that doesn't really factor into any editorial decision I might make regarding advertisements.

I already do my part in helping to publicize other yes sites by hosting the yesring. In addition, I provide free banner rotation to active members to plug their sites, so I see no reason for this kind of thing to appear in the forums.

If you care to have a discussion about Yes on this site, you will find those discussions to be free of any type of interference from here.

Pixie, regarding your reference to 1980's After Hours text - back then, there was no web and no central way for people to find other bulletin boards. Every bbs (including AH) had a section for other boards to post their dialup phone number, and adding to the list was considered a good thing. The web offers numerous ways to get your site known, some cost money, some do not. Sites that encourage others to post ads usually have a section for that purpose, and most sites indicate their policy in the registration info.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Postby pixiedave » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:56 am

Ed Schaum wrote:

I already do my part in helping to publicize other yes sites by hosting the yesring. In addition, I provide free banner rotation to active members to plug their sites, so I see no reason for this kind of thing to appear in the forums.

Ed

Fair enough, but I submitted my site to the web ring, I added the code and emailed you, after a month no response. No yes or no no reply at all. I since have removed the code.
pixiedave

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:56 pm

pixiedave wrote:Fair enough, but I submitted my site to the web ring, I added the code and emailed you, after a month no response. No yes or no no reply at all. I since have removed the code.

My recollection is that you submitted a site titled something like "The Progressive Rock Web Portal". A site like that belongs in the Prog Rock webring, not the Yes WebRing.
Ed Schaum

regarding michele's post about censorship

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:49 pm

I think at yestalk we have had a tradition of really ,really ......really hating

ads and spam etc.
I guess the contraversy michelle is that your Add is about something Yes related.

I think we all have been to Yesworld
and Ed links to yesworld

and HE hosts the Yes Webring ,which would provide you with an outlet
that is also linked to from here
for your forum

I think in your case we'd like to invite you to join us and actively post
and become apart of the Yestalk community
and within your posts-provide a link to whatever it is you find interesting or informative related to Yes or anything.

since ED doesnt provide a place specificly for Advertising
and thats really been the extent of your participation
I can understand his reasoning

ultimately this is His service to US Yesfans
and if Ed feel somthing is innapropriate

we can complain-and I have, as have others -but he swings the Final Gavel

Ed has been pretty fair about the use of that Gavel

and has more experience at building a great message board than I

so I think that ED's links to places where your info can be found
Yesworld -NFTE-Yesnet
and his providing a place where you can indeed
share your vision with a wider range of Yes-Fans "The Yes Web Ring "

are certinly compensation for any unfairness or censorship
you may have felt subject to
just my two cents
as somebody who's been posting here since 1997
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby SOUTHSIDEGUY » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:11 am

Inlightening.

I think Ed is in the right. I hate "plugging and running" too.

Ed, I don't see you around the discussions lately... Is it because your hanging out in another area of the toppic threads that I haven't gotten to yet? Anyway, Talk to ya'll later.
SOUTHSIDEGUY

Veteran Member

Return to YEStalk HELP