Off-topic question for website builders

Off-topic question for website builders

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:10 pm

This isn't directly related to Yestalk but....... I though some of you might know about website building....
Anybody know anything about Macromedia Dreamweaver MX?
I'd like to cull info from all sources.
I tried to upload some basic website pages made with Dreamweaver to my Geocities web host via FTP.
Everything came up as a subdirectory. The index page doesn't show up right when I go to my domain URL or it shows up as just "Index/..." and lists my parent directory files, etc.
I tried totally emptying my file manager of all previous files from a past website, or making a new folder(but it just came up as a subdirectory), etc. I was advised to leave the host directory blank on my FTP dialog window.....
I am wondering if Yahoo Geocities is always screwed up.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:04 pm

Ah, the joy of Geocities. Yeah, if you're going to pay for a domain, I really suggest paying for a host. I was using free host, Angeltowns, until it went pay- then I decided enough was enough. I've used free hosts from Angelfire to Geocities to AOL, to well... let's just say I've tried a lot. Finding good ad-free, bannerless, good bandwith hosts is pretty much impossible nowadays- most good, free hosts will get found out and so bombarded with members that their servers just can't handle it and they either have to charge or just shut down completely. So I bought an Angeltowns account- it was pretty cheap, and totally reliable and easy to use. I reccommend it, but hey! There are plenty of other great hosts out there. :)

I do know Macromedia, and have found it to be a little... wierd on a number of levels. I'll post more tonight! :D Bell's gonna ring & I gotta log off this school compy... that's what I get... :D Hehehe!
Kalingzeye

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:21 pm

Okey, I'm home from school. Anyway, about Macromedia / uploading. Is your Geocities site free? I didn't know they hosted w/ ftp. ^^; That's really wierd what it's doing... Tho as far as Geocities is concerned, it's pretty screwed up. Most of the time. :D Do you have any specific Dreamweaver questions? I've used it a number of times, and have had my share of problems (especially with tables). I prefer to use Microsoft Frontpage (from the MS Office Suite), but there are parts that both programs have that the other lacks. So it's cool to use both, and I could help you out with either if you need it. Or with websiting in general. :)

I would just steer clear of Geocities, and most free hosts all together. After years of searching for new ones, it's best to just settle down and pay- they're not all that expensive anymore!
Kalingzeye

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:28 pm

[quote="Kalingzeye"]Okey, I'm home from school. Anyway, about Macromedia / uploading. Is your Geocities site free? I didn't know they hosted w/ ftp. ^^]

Thanks Kalingseye, that's very nice.

I've since uploaded my Dreamweaver site via FTP successfully after many laborious trials, one in which I literally almost punched a hole in the monitor. I don't remember exactly how I did it now, through all that labyrinth of settings and other confusing stuff.

I have a Geocities paid website with a domain name. It's about $8 a month. It comes up now on Google on the first page for particular search words because I created a big site.

I also put similar sites up using different free hosts like 741.com, but they take years to come up on the screen and are bogged down with popups. In addition to that, they don't appear on search engines w/either exact keywords, URL words, etc., even though they have numerous pages to be spidered. So, essentially, my free host sites don't exist except via the exact URL.

The only sophisticated thing I did w/DW on Yahoo was to create a form where visitors type in text fields. And the visitors browser must be configured to send email(eg, outlook ex.). It works, as I have lots of visitors filling out a form and sending information via email. So, outlook express comes up and then they send the info they've already typed in, in an email in the body of the letter. So, it isn't a really sophisticated form..
On other companies' sites, I notice they have a similar form, but after submitting info it says "thanks for the information, or your info has been submitted" and that's all.

So far, besides that, I suppose I have my website functioning efficiently enough for my basic operation. I don't know if I need to improve it.

I might in the future put up a type of Yestalk website and a site where I can upload sample files of music to download. I suppose that would have a lot of functions and forms and stuff I haven't even heard of yet. Right now my computer is too much a piece of --- and I still have dialup, so it'll be a while. Gotta get a new computer first!!
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:18 pm

:D Glad to hear everything's working well. & glad your form works! Forms are always so annoying and buggy. :p Yeah, I remember dial-up... @ @; Gotta get rid of that, man! New compies are FUN! :o
Kalingzeye

Return to YEStalk HELP