Steven Wilson-Insurgentes

Steven Wilson-Insurgentes

Postby Relayer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:42 pm

This is the first in a series of solo albums to be released over the next 3 or 4 years by Steven Wilson.
The first tune, Harmony Korine, reminds me of Lightbulb Son era, with a massive wall of a chorus, almost symphonic in density, guitar over guitar over guitar, then as if a blast from
the past it seemingly drops out to the single riff the first track of Signify.
If I am reading this right, Steven , of course does the vocals on all songs, and this one
as well as playing electric guitars, bass, and keyboards, with the mighty Gavin Harrison on drums. this is pure bliss.
The Next track in Abandoner, starting lyrically soft as Heart Attack in a Laybye, building a dark tension ,like a feather hammer, dimensions of No-Man and Bass Commnion, wander through the build up to a massive drone guitar conclusion.
This has Steven on Vocals, Electric Piano, Bass, Electric Guitars, Glockenspiel, drum Programming by Theo Travis-wah flute, sand snowman-acoustic and processed acoustic guitars, with the omnipitent Gavin Harrison on drums.
The next tune is Salvaging, a brooding 4/4, minimal romp repleat with reverse tape effects and the acussatorial lyrical iindictment of the brkoen or soon to be broken dream and aftermath, dropping out into a beautifull movie soundtrack interlude only to be sucked back into a longer than last note in A Day of the Life of distressed tension.
This Tune has Steven on Vocals, bass , electric guitars, and keyboards, Gavin " the drum God " Harrison on drums, Dirk Serries on Guitar Drone, with String arrangement by Steven Wilson and Dave Stewart, performed by the London Session Orchestra.
The Next track, Venemo Para Las Hadas, begins innocently enough iwth guitar swells
and a lowly pulsing bass line, part Welcome to the Machine, part Still haven't found what I Looking for but never either enough to out weigh the sad lyrical lament, all sorts of gorgeous cinematic swells a few miles off in the mix, Steven has perfected the mix as a cohesive instrument of shape and color and sound and emotion, they act as one.
This tune finds Steven on Vocals, electric guitras, bass and harmonium, Jordon Rudess
on Piano, Theo Travis-clarinet, sand snowman-recorders, and the ever steady, did I say how great he is yet, Gavin Harrison
The next tune, No Twiight within the Courts of the Sun., Kind of a a free form jazz/rock
burner ever building in intensity until the massive main theme solidifies, and is fully engaged,
Then, just as swiftly, the mood falls out for the Lyrics, building again to a boil, and then seemingly falling out again, just a note, the song kind of winds down to a low series of
noodelings and effect, do not be fooled for at 8:02 into the song you will be hit square in the chest by the full force of the main theme once again, at a consideribly brutal volume shift, pleas ealos note the awesome double bass drums of the guy, who will go nameless until the next paragraph, behind the drums.
This little ditty was sperformed by Steven on Vocals, electric guitars (the first solo is Steven and it rips)pianp and celeste, Mike Outram on guitars, (hte second and most terrifiying guitar solo), Jordan Rudess on Piano, Tony Levin on Bass and some guy named Gavin Harrison on drums.
The Next Tune is titled Significant Other, an etherial airy gem, with lovely vocals, morphs into a ever massive climbling sonic cressendo, followed by a lovely little glockespiel, this time anticpating getting hammered by another false ending, but in the end feeling foolish
for even mentioning it.
This tune finds Steven on Vocals electric and acoustic guitar, electric piano and glockenspiel, Clodagh Simmonds on vocals, Tony Levin on Bass, and yet another guy named
Gavin Harrison on Drums.
The next tune is titled Only Child, while it is not the most ambitous track on the album, what was most telling was that this could have been a track from anywhere in the PTree catolog, it had all the trimings and yet was performed by Steven on electric guitars, piano, bass, synthesizer, Gavin Harrison on drums and Susana Moyaho on recorderd voice.
The next Track is titled Twilight Coda, an Instrumental begins with a gorgeous arpeggio and lilting piano interlude, building orchestral swells an cinematic climax.
This tune finds Steven on Electric and acoustic guitars and pecussion, Mike Outram on Electric Guitar, Jordan Rudess on Piano, sand snowman, what ever the hell that is, acoustic and processed acoustic guitars and percussion.
The next tune is titled Get All you Deserve, a soft intimate Piano/vocal intro/verse structure builds into an ominous swell of bass synth and vocal pads to a guitar drone
assualt just this side of chaos.
Steven handles vocals, piano, bass, mellotron, glockenspiel and something entitled total fucking noise, Dirk Serries on Drone Guitar, and Gavin Harrison on Drums.
The next track is the title song Insurgentes, beggining with a piano/vocal builds ever so lightly throughout but never overpowers the story line, almost dream like, yet haunting.
Steven handles vocals , piano, bass, harmonium, an dguitar loops, Michiyo Yagi handles
the 17 string ,yikes, string bass koto, and gives this song it otherworldly flavor.
The next track Port Rubicon, begins with a soft sine wave and a background voice, a short
silence then an orchestral dissonant stab repleat with military drum cadence, more silence, a dissjointed guitar vocal interlude, more dissonance, I found this song distrurbing.
Steven handled the harmonium, acoustic uitar, piano, and musical box, Theo travis handeled the saxophone and clarinet, Susana Moyaho handeled the recorded voice,
and the stings were performed by the the London Session Orchestra.
The next tune is entitled Puncture Wound, once again this tune could have come any number of PTree albums, but I want to correct something about waht I said earlier,
while this song and afew others are just Steven and Gavin Harrison, I think important to say this could have come from any PTRee album including Gavin, no slight to the former timekeepers, but Gavin has the abiltiy to embellish better than all but a few drummers and
even in that he equally shares the title.
Steven handles the vocals, synthesizer, electric guitars, bass, mellotron, with Gavin Harrison on drums.
The next track Collecting Space, is a sprawling intrumental, sounding so familiar but
at his early hour and just one cup of coffe in escapes me, I'm sure I know this from somewhere before, it is quite a lovely arrangement.
Steven handles acoustic and electric guitars, piano, samples, organ and mellotron, michayo yagi handles the 21 string, more yikes, koto, Tony Levin handles the bass,
and Gavin Harrison manhandles the drums.
The next tune is reprise of the tile track Insurgentes with thte added Mexico in parrens
timing in at a minute and a half longer than the previous version, this being the version\
written and recorded during th evening of february 28th in ex templo de santa teresa la antigua, Mexico City.
The final track entitled Untitled, I'm not sure if this at all form the Untitled theme that appeared on Recordings a few years ago, but this once again is vintage Steven Wilson,
these songs could have come from last week or the last decade.
While I got the deluxe 2 cd/1 dvd version of this album I will be snapping up a retail version
of this when it is released early next year, the picture book version of Insurgentes is just
to beautifull to describe, I'm going to watch the DVD now, I'll probably post on that later.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Re: Steven Wilson-Insurgentes

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:54 pm

the internet is ripe with killer reviews of this new SW release.
as usual the local stores never have anything that SW or PT ro NM or BC release.
So I have to get it online
thanks for the detailed review
this is a MUST HAVE for me.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm going to have to check this out!!
yesireebob

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:25 pm

And........ it's already sold out the day the Cd is supposed to ship.. :mad:
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:07 am

I saw that, and it's available on ebay for $399!! Think I'll wait for the release next year. But you can listen to a few of the tunes on Steven Wilson's MySpace page.
yesireebob

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:57 pm

From SW's Myspace blog:
OK, I'm actually considering this, because of the ABSURD prices people are paying for the deluxe editions on eBay. My intention was never to create such a chasm between supply / demand such that people could take such advantage of the situation like this. You might justifiably say, well why did you make such a small number if you didn't want this to happen? Hindsight is a fine thing - the simple answer to that is that they were so expensive to make that I had to err somewhere between caution and what I thought I could sell if things went fantastically well. Despite the fact there was hardly any mark up (although people *still* complained about the price, which frankly at the time I found astonishing given what was being offered) it was an expensive piece so I thought that I'd be doing well to sell 4,000 from one single point of mail order in these recessionary times. Guess I was wrong, and it seems that now people are prepared to pay more than 10 times my original price to get a copy. That's extreme, so I have to now seriously consider going back on my word of maintaining the announced limitation, to try to take the market away from the eBayers. So what do you think? I welcome your thoughts on this. It makes very little difference to me personally, but it pisses me off that fans who clearly want to own this beautiful edition didn't get a copy because people who obviously never wanted it in the first place (or somehow managed to get multiple copies) snapped them up, and are now selling them at crazy prices. And I guess I'm the only one that can fix that with a second edition.

By the way my friend Charles from Crazy Diamond is going to auction off about 20 copies over the next few weeks, and the money will go to charity. This is with my approval, in an attempt to mitigate some of the bidding going on (the theory being that the more copies on sale the more the bidding will be spread out). So if you do feel you have to have a copy and will pay anything for it, please bid for one of these copies. Thanks.

SW

PS - I hope you like the album!

PSS - Just to clarify, there will be an easily available and unlimited 2 disc release of the album in stereo/5.1 sound coming in Feb, so it's not like I only intended 4,000 people to ever be able to own Insurgentes. It's specifically the special edition book we are talking about here (and the bonus CD which is exclusive to that release). Just wanted to be absolutely clear about that - no-one has to buy the deluxe edition to get the album itself.
The retail version of "Insurgentes" can now be pre-ordered through Burning Shed. The album will be shipped 24 February 2009, however by pre-ordering you will receive a special download link to download the album in 256 KB MP3 format, so that you can already listen to the album!
yesireebob

Postby yesman90125 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 pm

STEVEN WILSON!!!!!
the guy is great-
Possibly second only to Peter Gabriel in Creativity and common sense all wrapped up in one!!

Thankfully a member from Yesfans is slowly E-mailing me MP3's of the music, but I still would have enjoyed the entire thing with the great packaging and all.
Cool Of Steven to consider making more and to Burn the E-bay losers

I remember When Lightbulb Sun went out of Print and E-bay Losers were selling it for over $300 as well.
so Steven Released a double Cd Special edition and put an end to that too

I BOW At The alter Of Steven Wilson!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Steven Wilson is THE MAN. Truly a genius on many levels. We are not worthy!
yesireebob

Postby tribute1969 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:33 am

Again, I "second THAT emotion"...

yesireebob wrote:Steven Wilson is THE MAN. Truly a genius on many levels. We are not worthy!
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Steven Wilson seems like a class act, and is a musical genius, for sure.

I really want to hear this album, but I wouldn't patronize the eBayers even if I had the money . . . I can wait a bit . . . :rolleyes:
tardistraveler

Postby Relayer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I saw this on the Insurgentes micro site this morning...

insurgentes retail edition / download on sale!
You can now pre-order the 2 disc version of Insurgentes from Burning Shed . Release date is 24th February, but if you pre-order you will receive a link to an instant mp3 download so you can listen to the music while you are waiting for your physical copy to arrive.

Ya gotta love any artist who cares about the fans this much.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do, and If I haven't said it , Happy Holidays.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:09 am

Here's a round-table review of Insurgentes on the Dutch Progressive Rock Page:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200856.php

Can't wait to get my grubbies on this disc next year!
yesireebob

Postby tribute1969 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Good info but......

I'll probably just say as on American Bandstand..
"It's Got A Good Beat and Is Easy To Dance To"...and play it constantly
until I have every note, lyric ingrained in my head and I start dreaming about it...

Can't Wait...I'm sure "I'll Give it a 98"...
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby NumberNine » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 pm

its brilliant! it is more steven willson than i could stand. there are moments on that record i just want to go to my knees for.
NumberNine

Postby psychopomp95 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 am

I'll preface this with saying I only listened to it once, but oddly enough, I wasn't too thrilled with the album. Too many songs lacked any identifiable (some may say "hooky") parts, and some suffered from what sounded to me like experimentation or dissonance just for their own sake... my favorites were "Harmony Korine" and "Get All You Deserve".

Of course, I DID only listen once so far, so I'm willing to admit a strong possibility I'll be back here in a month or two, raving about the album. ;)
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:38 am

anyway I like it though it doesn't have the usual cohesiveness that PT releases have
for those that couldn't get it you can download the thing here(if you have a bit torrent client)
I especially like the title track.
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/54069721/steven+wilson?tab=summary

I understand another release is scheduled later this year because Steven is unhappy with the scalping situation.

Certainly not worth the $365 it's fetching on E-Bay
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:16 pm

This was released yesterday, and I picked up the 2-disc version at Best Buy for $12.99. I am listening to it now, have not even gotten all the way through the disc, but I LOVE this! OMG, it's brilliant. I am listening to it on my computer as I work, can't wait to listen to the DVD-A on my surround system!
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Cool - hopefully I can purchase this soon . . . I think I've got a Best Buy reward certificate somewhere . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Still haven't listen to the surround version, I have been so busy with work lately that most of my concentarted listening is while I am driving. But I did peruse the booklet and noticed that none other than Tony Levin and Jordan Rudess appear on this amazing disc.....
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Oh, wow! That's so cool to hear!

Hmmm . . . today's payday, and I DO have that Best Buy certificate . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 am

You won't be disappointed! This weekend I will listen to the surround version..
yesireebob

Postby yesireebob » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 am

Wow, this CD is just brilliant. It is somewhere between Bass Communion and PT. It has alll the angular dissonance of King Crimson coupled with gorgeous, ethereal orchestral or piano pieces -- sometimes in the same song. The shifts can be quite jarring, but are somehow perfect. This just superb, Steve Wilson has one again demonstrated his genius. We are not worthy!
yesireebob

Postby Relayer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:24 am

I don't know how many of us here are interested in recording, or have project studios
like me, but if you are this months Electronic Musician magazine has a wonderful article on Steven and the making of Insurgentes, as well as a visit to his project studio, the atricle is also available online at the Electronic Musician website, to say the least I found it inspiring
to read how he works.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby Relayer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:31 am

Here is the link to the post above:
http://emusician.com/interviews/steven-wilson/
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the link - that was a fascinating read!

I found this album on Saturday, and absolutely LOVE it!!!

I'm happy that Steve Wilson isn't afraid to experiment - he seems to be the kind of musician who's more focused on trying things, and making good music, than worrying about what will sell, what's popular, etc. And he's developed a HUGE following of people who just enjoy hearing him DO that!
tardistraveler

Return to Alternate Tunes