Beatles Remasters, Anyone?

Beatles Remasters, Anyone?

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:06 pm

I thought about putting this in the "When Rock Was Young" forum, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

With these remasters, what was old has been made NEW again!

These are phenomenal!

I finally treated myself to a few of these while in Chicago on Friday night. Prior to my trip, I hadn't had a chance to go anywhere and GET them, but after dinner, I remembered that Target had a good sale on them, so J.J. and I headed for the Target up the road.

They only had a few left. Fortunately, the few they had left were the ones I had planned to get FIRST! So, we left Target with Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, the White Album, and Abbey Road. J.J. chose to hear Sgt. Peppers first, and inserted it when we got to the car.

Jaws dropped from the first note! And THIS on the CAR stereo! So many sounds, instruments, vocals that you had just never HEARD before emerged . . . I gained a new appreciation of Mr. Kite - the opening chord was incredible . . . we drove and listened, and I found myself just getting higher and higher from the music!

I posted elsewhere that these are "musical LSD" . . . it was definitely a TRIP listening to these . . . I still can't wait to hear them on a proper system, and just immerse in the music.

It's like having NEW Beatles tunes to listen to!

I'm thrilled that these have now been preserved for the ages . . . kudos to the engineers who worked for FOUR years readying these . . . you've done the world a tremendous service!

So . . . anyone else have these yet? What do you think?
tardistraveler

Re: Beatles Remasters, Anyone?

Postby yesireebob » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 pm

I have ordered them from Amazon, wasn't sure if I was going to do this but based on all the great reviews I went for it. Very bad of me! I have done so well cutting way back on buying music, and then there's a new PT and Beatles remasters! I'll let you know what I think when I get it. Was hoping to get it before going to LA this weekend, lots of driving and listening time.
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Hope they come in time for your trip, Linda - a road trip is PERFECT for these! We listened to all four on the way home from Chicago - wish I had had all FOURTEEN!

Enjoy!
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 am

No such luck, won't even ship out until between 22nd and 29th. They actually sold out, I was on an e-mail notify list and ordered when it came back in stock, and now they are sold out again. Kinda like when they first came out!
yesireebob

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:26 pm

I'd dismissed these [because of course I've already got all the studio albums already]. But this is now tempting me. I've never owned the Past Masters' stuff (I have some of the material from diverse sources). So maybe I'll pick those up to start with. Abbey Road is calling to me after reading some for the reviews of the remasters. Must... resist.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby thehallway » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Its annoying when you own something and then a remastered edition(s) is released, but my dad still insists on getting all of these!

Sgt Pepper remains one of the most infulential albums of all time [:yes]
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Well, the only thing annoying is that they DIDN'T release them the FIRST time like this!

The difference is night and day - I don't regret buying these at all!

Made another stop at Target last week and picked up Revolver and Help! Their sale is still going on until 10/10 - buy two at the sale price of $11.99, and get a $5 Target Gift Card - not a bad deal. I may try to get a few more after payday if Target's supplies get restocked . . . they didn't have very many in stock when I got there.

I really want Past Masters too - since I DON'T have those on CD already - Target hasn't had it when I've been there, and I just haven't had time to browse other stores yet.
tardistraveler

Postby thesage » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:31 am

My understanding is that these remastered versions are just that- they go back to the original masters-typically the multi-tracks, and it usually means using EQ and up to date studio effects to clean up the sound, remove pops and hisses, etc., which will bring out more sounds and make instruments more identifiable. But its my understanding that they have recreated the same mixes- Whilst I'm sure the sound is much much better I'm less of a purest and I would have liked them to remix the tracks- many of the albums were recorded on 4 track machines and two instruments often appeared on the same track- if you watch the Anthology you can here George MArtin, Paul, George and Ringo listening to the tracks commenting that the bass and drums were on the same track. In the final mix they appear in say the left channel and a vocal on the right etc. Even on Sgt Peppers there are a few tracks where there in nothing in one channel for a time. This might have been interesting stereo effects in 1967- however I think it was more the limitations of the technology available.

The technology now exists to separate these out pretty effectively- there is a plug in called celemony which is amazing- I would have loved to have heard a new mix or a 5.1- who knows in 12 months time that probably will bring it out and people will go and spend anoth few hundred buck to hear the beatles "like you've never heard them before"
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 5.1 mixes at some point, but for now, I'm loving these!

Made a couple of more Target trips, and now have them ALL . . . this spanned 3 paydays, so I wasn't out too much each time . . . ;)

Still enjoying these just as much!
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 pm

I got the whole box set and have been listening to all these CDs repeatedly. The sound really is much better, more nuanced. But I agree a remix would have been better. The fake stereo thing does have it's limitations. Perhaps the true mono versions, remastered, are better. Can't afford THAT box set as well, however. I would point out that LOVE is a complete remix and is in 5.1, and the effect is simply breathtaking. I wish they had remixed the entire catalog. But meanwhile, I am very happy with the remasters, they are a
noticeable improvement over the original CDs.
yesireebob

Postby happytheman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:36 pm

So far I have resisted. I saw that hilarious YouTube of the guy reviewing these and it made me think eventually I'll most likely sink some $'s into buying them.
What's the video footage tacked on the end of each disc like?
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Actually, I haven't watched the videos yet . . . I've been too busy listening! :p
tardistraveler

Postby thesage » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 am

Hey Yesireebob, I don't mean using fake stereo effects which essentially just a split signal with an effect like chorus or actually panning frequencies to simulate stereo. I'm talking about separating the sounds such as bass and drums as individual audio tracks which can then be panned - you can go further- I've done it on some mono drums tracks my band recorded years ago - when the drummer hit the toms or cymbals these usually werent at the same time as the snare and kick which means if you isolate each sound on a separate track and pan according to the normal placement of the tom or cymbal you are creating a true stereo track as close as possible to what they would do in the studio with a properly miked kit. Thats the sort of thing Im taking about
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:42 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a remix for 5.1 at some point. But I'm very happy with what they did - the sound is just SOOOOO clean and clear . . . :)
tardistraveler

Return to Alternate Tunes