Genesis getting inducted into Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame

Genesis getting inducted into Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:05 am

I just found out yesterday that Genesis are going to be inducted into the RNRHOF along with Abba and many others. All I have to say is, it's about time! I know some people may not care for the Hall anyway, but most of the artists/bands in there actually have some credibility and deserve to be there. I'm wondering if Peter and Steve will join up with the band and we can actually have a reunion of the classic lineup. Their induction is long overdue, in my opinion. They have contributed a lot to music and I'm surprised that the Hall even acknowledged the prog years of Genesis as well as the pop years. I'm anxious to see who will be there and who will perform. Now, if only Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Kansas, etc. could be inducted, it would be even better. Maybe sometime in future, we can only hope.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Re: Genesis getting inducted into Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 pm

It's funny comparing Genesis with the likes of Abba . . . :p

That said, I think they are quite deserving - they were able to make the shift, as music shifted, to a more pop-oriented format that won them lots of fans. And in doing so, people who caught onto them during that era have gone back to rediscover their prog roots - witness the popularity of The Musical Box who are recreating those old Genesis theatrical shows in concert.

This could pave the way for other prog acts, perhaps.

Anyway, as a long-time fan, who more recently discovered a fondness for their later things as well, kudos to Genesis!
tardistraveler

Postby tribute1969 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 am

The biggest question mark for me will be will Peter Gabriel attend AND perform with them??

Likewise, IF and when YES ever makes it, will Jon and Rick perform with the current touring lineup. A few years back, Blondie members touring at the time of their induction refused to allow former, original members from the time period they were making it big perform at the induction ceremony creating very awkward moments....Guess that would be a good problem to ever have...Hope it happens...
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm surprised Yes aren't in it already (well surprised because of their amazing-ness but not surprised that the Hall of Fame people won't/don't recognise the importance of prog). But 40 years of strong music, from Tales to Owner of a lonely heart and everything in between, is surely worth the induction. Most people I'VE introduced to the band have at least liked one of their era's, if not become a complete fan. And the fan base is surprisingly large, it's not just "old" people who like Yes anymore. There's a new generation, as well as I'm sure, people growing up in the 80s and 90s.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Return to Alternate Tunes