Best CDs of 2009

Best CDs of 2009

Postby yesireebob » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Here we go again, here's my round-up:

The Incident, Porcupine Tree. Brilliant, one of their best ever. Far and away the best of the year.
Not sure if this CD was released in 2008 or 2009, but Steve Wilson's Insurgentes also tops my list.
And then there's the rest:

Doves, Kingdom of Rust
IQ, Frequency
The Gathering, The West Pole. Despite Anneke's absence, I love this disc.
Muse, The Resistance. Ok, not as good as the last two, but a whole lot of fun nonetheless.
Dream Theater, Blacks Clouds and Silver Linings.
OSI, Blood
Guilt Machine, On This Perfect Day. Yet another Ayreon project, but with a different vibe.
Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream. One of his best in years.
Soundtrack of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Saw this show in London, great show, great disc, both SO much fun!

Biggest Disappointment:
The Dead Weather, Hore Hound. Thought I would love this but I don't. In fact I don't even like it very much.

And you?
yesireebob

Re: Best CDs of 2009

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Of your list, Linda, I've heard/have The Incident, Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Frequency, and Horehound.

The Dead Weather/Horehound - I'll go ahead and address this one - I really enjoy it (ducks and runs) . . . guess there's just something for everyone in this world - there's a lot of sexual tension in their music which I find intriguing.

The Incident - PT is one of those bands that there IS no BAD music from, at least, I haven't heard it yet. I enjoy all of their catalog. And this is certainly one of the strongest albums of 2009, but ranked among all of PT's catalog, I'd have to place it somewhere in the middle, I think. There seem to be those people who really enjoy their "middle period" with it's spacier tone, and then those people who really enjoy their later things with the harder edge, and I'm definitely one of those. Deadwing so far is my favorite PT album, and I'm always hoping for more along those lines . . . ;)

Black Clouds and Silver Linings - I like this one better than their previous, Systematic Chaos, overall. The Count of Tuscany is worth the whole album, and I'd love to hear it LIVE! I also really like A Nightmare to Remember and A Rite of Passage. The Shattered Fortress is a good culmination to the "12-step saga" - looking forward to hearing all of those played as a suite in concert. Not my favorite DT album, but not the least favorite either - a worthy addition to their catalog.

Frequency - wonderful music with a "Yessy" feel to it - I've enjoyed it a lot, and hope to extend my IQ catalog in the near future.

There's a few others on your list I would probably enjoy hearing as well. :)

As far as my personal list goes, I would definitely put in a vote for Transatlantic/The Whirlwind - I'm really enjoying that one!

Two other of my favorite performers also had new releases this year. Adrian Belew's "e", with his "Power Trio", is full of those things he does so well . . . lots of Crimsonesque feel to it as well. And Super Furry Animals released Dark Days Light Years - very cool music which I like a bit better than their previous release Hey Venus, although I haven't found anything they do that I DISlike . . . ;)

Not prog - but another one I've enjoyed this year is Franz Ferdinand/Tonight - my son turned me on to them - good strong pop with a lot of 60's influence.
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18 am

A little late on this, but here's my list:

1. Dream Theater - Black Clouds And Silver Linings
2. Them Crooked Vultures
3. Muse - The Resistance
4. Black Sabbath - The Devil You Know (Yes, I know the band is known as Heaven And Hell, but, really, it IS Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio.)
5. Queensryche - American Soldier
6. Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
7. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
8. Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
9. Skillet - Awake
10. Creed - Full Circle
11. Bon Jovi - The Circle (They got the Country out of their systems.)
12. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Night Castle (EXCELLENT ALBUM!)

That's all I have to contribute. There wasn't a whole lot of music that came out last year that I liked, but these ones I mentioned are pretty decent.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I've missed most of this seemingly wonderful music. I've spent the whole of the last three years or so buying albums form the 70s! :o

Muse's latest I have heard though and liked a lot (very Queen-esque!)

And I can't cope with Bon Jovi personally.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Return to Alternate Tunes