[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I can't fucking believe it.

My mom calls me from work and she's like "Hey, you want some Renaissance tickets for your birthday?"

First, I think she has no clue what she's talking about. Second, I think she has no clue what she's talking about. I'm thinking she stumbled upon some like, Renaissance music festival or something goofy I wouldn't go to and I'm fully prepared to bring it up online and correct her.

"Yeah I get email updates for Palace Theater and something came up with them playing with....Steve Hackett?"

It's sounding pretty legit at this point. Oh and another bonus, Steve Hackett! Really?

Sure, it's the "Renaissance 2009" lineup that did a mini acoustic tour last year with Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford but I'm very pleased even if that's as close as it gets. It will be a full-band show. Just Annie with a crack backing band would do at this point, but having Michael Dunford too makes it feel extra warm and fuzzy. Plus, like it doesn't get any better, my future husband Tom Brislin from the Symphonic tour will be handling the keyboard duties. It's like a dream come true!

I never EVER thought I'd get to hear Annie perform live and they're gonna be playing some of their core standards, pretty predictable setlist but oh WELL its still gonna be awesome. From old setlists, they never looked like they ventured too far from their concert staples, but what staples! They could do an hourlong "Ashes Are Burning" and I'd be happy. Hell live its usually half that length anyways. :-p

Just so you guys know, Renaissance is on the road with Steve Hackett and it looks like some shows are split bills and some Renaissance are opening. I think the show I'm seeing (Palace Theater, Greensburg PA) they're opening but I dont care if they get up there and play a clunker from Time Line and leave at this point that's how psyched I am to see them! Might wanna see if they're gonna be around your hood!
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Re: HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Presume this is only N America? Shame because it sounds like a wonderful double-bill.

Interesting to hear Brislin's playing with them. I thought his work on the Symphonic tour was the most outstanding keyboard stuff I've heard from Yes live [much as I love his personality, that includes Rick, too]. Yes could have done a lot worse than to hang on to his services, but it seems if Wakeman makes himself available, he gets first refusal. That's a pity because the live version of Relayer benefited greatly from Brislin's contribution and I would not have been upset at all to see him get the seat permanently.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Re: HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey, Eric - when's the show?
tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm

tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 pm

tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm

thehallway

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:45 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Sun May 02, 2010 4:58 pm

I've heard the album about 3 or 4 times (but I know that's nowhere near enough times to fully appreciate a prog rock album). But even in those initial listens I could never really see the potential "amazingness" as I do when I first hear a song by say, King Crimson. It might be that I'm put off by Peter Gabriel's focus on costumes and humour as opposed to musical quality (I heard that 'Epping Forest' wasted 10 minutes for the purpose of a joke). After hearing ELP's ragtime numbers, I've decided that humour doesn't really belong in music. Also, I can't help but think the progressive elements of the music are quite "forced"; like the band are trying to out-do other bands rather than create naturally long music, because the compositions are quite linear as opposed to pre-thought out. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the impression I get, like isn't there one song where the first half is lyrical and the second half just a keyboard solo? That seems a little random, and the solo isn't even very good.

I will try Genesis again, and look past my assumptions. But it's already clear to me that they are nowhere near as talented or virtuosic as Yes, or as creative as King Crimson.

I WANT to be proved wrong though! I feel left out not liking such a widely-loved album.
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 pm

tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 pm

You've made a good point, and maybe humour does belong in music...

...but only if it's funny.

I mean, I'm British and whilst I find the whimsical ramblings of Peter Gabriel midly amusing, it doesn't really justify their position above the music, IMO. The band are obviously better than most, which is why they got so far, but I don't find them to be AS expressive or inventive as most bands I like. I guess I just feel that Genesis are overrated somewhat. Maybe I would label them as Easy Listening in comparison to psychedelic/prog bands, which is obviously fine and has its place, but is less significant. Less powerful.
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 am

thesage

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 pm

tardistraveler

Postby yesman90125 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:19 am

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 17, 2010 5:40 pm

[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 am

thesage

Veteran Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 am

Don't get me wrong if I was in the neighbourhood I would be going to see them as well. Enjoy the show and if you have time post a review
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:56 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu May 20, 2010 6:27 pm

tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 pm

And that "ride" happened last week . . .

I didn't wind up staying for the whole week - just drove up Tuesday to Chicago, then Arlene and I drove to Milwaukee on Wednesday for the show. Back to Chicago Thursday morning, and I left for Nashville.

But it was a FANTASTIC ride! Had a wonderful dinner pre-show with Arlene, Kurt, James/lostinmusing, and his wife Jill. Saw Yesfriends Brent and Roland at the show.

The show was PHENOMENAL. Renaissance took the stage first, and opened with Prologue. I started tearing up, just incredulous that I was actually SEEING them again after so many years. Annie's voice is still amazingly good - all the musicianship was excellent, in my book. And they had NEW music! They played one of the new songs in their set, and at intermission they sold an EP with three new songs, which they graciously autographed.

If the show had ended then, it would have been worth the trip, but next up was Steve Hackett, who played a flawless set including Ace of Wands from Voyage of the Acolyte (YES!!!), and encored with Firth of Fifth! :eek:

I was definitely on a concert high when he finished! Totally worth going, and I'll make every effort to see either of these again if there's another tour.

So Eric - how was YOUR show???? Stop by and post when you can!
tardistraveler

Return to Alternate Tunes