HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I can't fucking believe it.

My mom calls me from work and she's like "Hey, you want some Renaissance tickets for your birthday?"

First, I think she has no clue what she's talking about. Second, I think she has no clue what she's talking about. I'm thinking she stumbled upon some like, Renaissance music festival or something goofy I wouldn't go to and I'm fully prepared to bring it up online and correct her.

"Yeah I get email updates for Palace Theater and something came up with them playing with....Steve Hackett?"

It's sounding pretty legit at this point. Oh and another bonus, Steve Hackett! Really?

Sure, it's the "Renaissance 2009" lineup that did a mini acoustic tour last year with Annie Haslam and Michael Dunford but I'm very pleased even if that's as close as it gets. It will be a full-band show. Just Annie with a crack backing band would do at this point, but having Michael Dunford too makes it feel extra warm and fuzzy. Plus, like it doesn't get any better, my future husband Tom Brislin from the Symphonic tour will be handling the keyboard duties. It's like a dream come true!

I never EVER thought I'd get to hear Annie perform live and they're gonna be playing some of their core standards, pretty predictable setlist but oh WELL its still gonna be awesome. From old setlists, they never looked like they ventured too far from their concert staples, but what staples! They could do an hourlong "Ashes Are Burning" and I'd be happy. Hell live its usually half that length anyways. :-p

Just so you guys know, Renaissance is on the road with Steve Hackett and it looks like some shows are split bills and some Renaissance are opening. I think the show I'm seeing (Palace Theater, Greensburg PA) they're opening but I dont care if they get up there and play a clunker from Time Line and leave at this point that's how psyched I am to see them! Might wanna see if they're gonna be around your hood!
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Re: HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Presume this is only N America? Shame because it sounds like a wonderful double-bill.

Interesting to hear Brislin's playing with them. I thought his work on the Symphonic tour was the most outstanding keyboard stuff I've heard from Yes live [much as I love his personality, that includes Rick, too]. Yes could have done a lot worse than to hang on to his services, but it seems if Wakeman makes himself available, he gets first refusal. That's a pity because the live version of Relayer benefited greatly from Brislin's contribution and I would not have been upset at all to see him get the seat permanently.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Re: HOLY SHIT! Do I really have two front row seats to see Renaissance? Pinch me.

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Presume this is only N America? Shame because it sounds like a wonderful double-bill.

Interesting to hear Brislin's playing with them. I thought his work on the Symphonic tour was the most outstanding keyboard stuff I've heard from Yes live [much as I love his personality, that includes Rick, too]. Yes could have done a lot worse than to hang on to his services, but it seems if Wakeman makes himself available, he gets first refusal. That's a pity because the live version of Relayer benefited greatly from Brislin's contribution and I would not have been upset at all to see him get the seat permanently.

Yeah he's a very dynamic player, and really added something to Gates (whilst remaining loyal to Moraz). And soloing with both hands simultaneously is just wild!

What an honour it must have been to be invited to play with your favourite band, in what I think is one of their best tours.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Dang! I'm so envious!

I saw Renaissance once back in the 70's - AWESOME show! And I adore Steve Hackett - would LOVE to see this one!

But, not in my neck of the woods . . . maybe they'll do a DVD . . . fingers crossed . . .
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey, Eric - when's the show?
tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Hey, Eric - when's the show?

Friday June 25th! Greensburg PA :-D
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm excited - looks like I'M going to get to see this in Milwaukee on 6/28! My Chicago friends are going, and we've got tix!!! I'm cleared to take off work and go up - may be staying over a few days to see Rush as well!

I've always wanted to see Hackett solo, and Renaissance is the icing on the cake! Whoo-hoo!

Eric, I'll be looking forward to your review, since you'll be seeing this first . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh wow I bet you're excited! Rush too the same weekend? Can you handle it? hahaha

Oh yes you'll be getting a review to get you extra excited for it. I can't wait to hear one of my favorite singers ever! I'll be bringing vinyl to sign.

How about I'm totally unfamiliar with pretty much all of Steve Hackett's solo career! I loved him in Genesis don't get me wrong. From what I understand as far as branch off solo careers go his is up there. I really like that "Please Dont Touch" song sounds real Trick Of The Tailish, apart from that I don't know shit. Any recommendations?
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Well, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of his solo works - they all showcase his style well, and if you like his style, you'll like his stuff for the most part, IMO.

My personal favorite is his first - Voyage of the Acolyte - a favorite during the 70's. I always thought of it as the best Genesis album that never was. The guitar work smacks a lot of his work on Selling England by the Pound, which is my favorite Genesis album. It's just totally soul-stirring to me.

You might also check out Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, and Guitar Noir, but seriously, anything is worth a listen - just see what's available in your local store and have a listen!

I really hope you enjoy YOUR show, Eric! :)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Interestingly, I've never been particularly moved by Genesis. I've heard Foxtrot, Selling England, etc, but I just don't really get any "feeling" from it. Obviously all prog bands are different and Yes are my favourite, but there's something about Genesis that just makes me sort of ignore them. Hackett I'm sure, is a great player though.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:45 pm

thehallway wrote:Interestingly, I've never been particularly moved by Genesis. I've heard Foxtrot, Selling England, etc, but I just don't really get any "feeling" from it. Obviously all prog bands are different and Yes are my favourite, but there's something about Genesis that just makes me sort of ignore them. Hackett I'm sure, is a great player though.

Really? Wow, I'm not gonna judge you for your opinion or anything, but I seriously think less of you now for that.

:-P Just kidding. Don't worry I've certainly had some strong opinions on music that I've been in the minority on a bunch of times. Can I ask though, have you listened to Selling England By The Pound? I understand you said you've heard it, but have you really given it a serious listen? The only reason I ask is that I personally think it's one of the most beautiful and perfectly executed prog rock records of all time, and I find it surprising a fan of Yes couldn't appreciate it. I sure listen to a lot of music and to be honest a lot of prog doesn't make the cut anymore (actually more breakbeats and trance than anything) but this one still gets regular rotation status, along with Going For The One. It's just one of those very rare 5 star albums that don't come around much.

When I first bought the album when I was a kid it kinda passed me by and I didn't really fully get into it. When I gave it another chance years later when I got more into Genesis I was totally blown away. Maybe give it another try and it just might knock ya out! :-D
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Sun May 02, 2010 4:58 pm

I've heard the album about 3 or 4 times (but I know that's nowhere near enough times to fully appreciate a prog rock album). But even in those initial listens I could never really see the potential "amazingness" as I do when I first hear a song by say, King Crimson. It might be that I'm put off by Peter Gabriel's focus on costumes and humour as opposed to musical quality (I heard that 'Epping Forest' wasted 10 minutes for the purpose of a joke). After hearing ELP's ragtime numbers, I've decided that humour doesn't really belong in music. Also, I can't help but think the progressive elements of the music are quite "forced"; like the band are trying to out-do other bands rather than create naturally long music, because the compositions are quite linear as opposed to pre-thought out. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the impression I get, like isn't there one song where the first half is lyrical and the second half just a keyboard solo? That seems a little random, and the solo isn't even very good.

I will try Genesis again, and look past my assumptions. But it's already clear to me that they are nowhere near as talented or virtuosic as Yes, or as creative as King Crimson.

I WANT to be proved wrong though! I feel left out not liking such a widely-loved album.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Your statement that "humour doesn't really belong in music" caught my attention.

Many of my favorite songs/artists have LOTS of humor in their music! I love music that can make me laugh or smile.

To me, what makes "good" music is going to totally vary from person to person. Agree that there's some level of virtuosity that I often look for, but there's also good songs with simple melodies, or that just make you laugh and feel happy, IMO.

Regarding Genesis, I find them to have some incredibly beautiful passages in their music, and yes, there IS humor in their lyrics, but to me that's part of their charm. I laugh everytime I hear "Return of the Giant Hogweed", for instance - it's just such an absurd song, but with music that really fits it well. I can just see those hogweeds ravaging the earth! LOL

"Supper's Ready" never fails to bring tears at the end of the song - it's that beautiful. And Hackett's guitar in "Firth of Fifth" is just gorgeous, IMO. The Lamb is an amazing journey with some of the best keys you'll ever hear.

But, something for everyone in this world. I love Genesis AND King Crimson, even though their styles are radically different. I find something different to appreciate about all bands that I like - with Genesis it's their humor and virtuosity. With Yes it's their magical, spiritual feel, coupled with their virtuosity. With KC it's the not exactly knowing where the music is going to go next, but it always seems appropriate when it gets there.

With other bands it might be just their sheer, raw power that entrances me. Or a powerful lyric that I relate to on a deep level.

Or their humor. I grew up listening to my dad's novelty records, and there are some hysterical songs out there. I appreciate the parody of a Weird Al or Allan Sherman. Or the absurdity of a Hayseed Dixie.

If the music is just truly bad, and I mean badly played, then a performer will lose me. But there's all kinds of music, and I'm sure the reason there's all kinds is that different people relate to different things. I'm open to many of those, and I find as I get older I just discover more and more things that I didn't pay notice to before.

The bottom line for me, is that music is FUN! It makes you happy. It sometimes makes you sad, but that's usually cathartic, so that's good too. It makes you think and explore things in your mind. It makes you relax. Sometimes it makes you horny . . . ;)

But all of these are GOOD things - find what you enjoy, and have fun with it!
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 pm

You've made a good point, and maybe humour does belong in music...

...but only if it's funny.

I mean, I'm British and whilst I find the whimsical ramblings of Peter Gabriel midly amusing, it doesn't really justify their position above the music, IMO. The band are obviously better than most, which is why they got so far, but I don't find them to be AS expressive or inventive as most bands I like. I guess I just feel that Genesis are overrated somewhat. Maybe I would label them as Easy Listening in comparison to psychedelic/prog bands, which is obviously fine and has its place, but is less significant. Less powerful.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

thehallway wrote:You've made a good point, and maybe humour does belong in music...

...but only if it's funny.

I mean, I'm British and whilst I find the whimsical ramblings of Peter Gabriel midly amusing, it doesn't really justify their position above the music, IMO. The band are obviously better than most, which is why they got so far, but I don't find them to be AS expressive or inventive as most bands I like. I guess I just feel that Genesis are overrated somewhat. Maybe I would label them as Easy Listening in comparison to psychedelic/prog bands, which is obviously fine and has its place, but is less significant. Less powerful.

See this is exactly how I feel about King Crimson (apart from the easy listening part)! Don't get me wrong, I still think Red is one of the greatest prog albums of all time, as well as ITKOTCK but overall they just don't move me like say, Genesis would. Very cold and distant approach. A lot of their atonal structureless jams kinda turn me off. Albums like Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues just breeeze right past me. Part of the reason I don't like them is their lack of humor. Deadly serious at all times. It's overbearing for me, but again is a good example of the "different stroke for different blokes!' concept. hahah

Oh and just for mentioning Tardistraveler on the Steve Hackett tip I did end up picking up Spectral Mornings and Voyage of the Acolyte. Spectral Mornings was my first and after several listens I'd have to say it's just OK. Kinda reminds me of Camel in general sound (with better guitar and cornier vocals) and gives the feeling that it's not bad, but it's not really amazing either. The only tune that really moves me is "Every Day" but the rest just kinda sounds nice while it's on but doesn't really fully capture my attention. "Red Flower..." is really pretty though. "Clocks" is ok but I (naggingly) keep expecting it to break into "Carmina Burana" and it messes with me every time hahaah. "Tigermoth" and the title track have some pretty moments but overall they don't make a huge impression. "Decomposing Man" is just stupid and sounds really out of place. Here's where the humor in music thing just doesn't sound appropriate. Overall its just passably good. Mean guitar parts though.

Now Voyage of the Acolyte is more up my alley! WOW! "Shadow Of The Hierophant" is just jaw droppingly amazing. Now THIS is what I expected from a Steve Hackett solo album. Soaring guitars, beautiful melodies, in-your-face mellotron and blazing synth leads. It sounds very Genesis like in parts. This really shows what a huge hand Steve had in shaping their sound. The above mentioned tune actually sounds much like Renaissance in the first half. Now if there's ever a candidate for a dream Annie/Steve duet this would be it. Actually they'd be stupid NOT to do it it's so obvious! Tell me that wouldn't be awesome! Ace Of Wands (which crushes you from go) up through Hands Of The Priestess 2 is class act stuff. I especially love "Tower Struck Down." Haven't dug into the middle stuff much, the track with Phil vox seems just ok as well as Steve's vocal track. Overall much better than Spectral Mornings though.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 am

I am a hugh Renaissance fan and have been so for almost 30 years- I have drawn people's attention to them on this forum on a number of occasions- I thought that Tuscany- Renaissance's 2001 comeback album (albeit without Squire-alike- Jon Camp) was a good effort- but Land of the Rising Sun- the live album from the 2001 tour showed that Annie was not quite the voice she used to be- I suggest that people watch and listen to some recent youtube vids of the current 2/5th of Renaissance playing, but remember that Annie would have to be in her late 50s or early i 60s and she isn't the singer she once was. Its important to know what you are going to hear.
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 pm

EricBliss12345 wrote:Oh and just for mentioning Tardistraveler on the Steve Hackett tip I did end up picking up Spectral Mornings and Voyage of the Acolyte. Spectral Mornings was my first and after several listens I'd have to say it's just OK. Kinda reminds me of Camel in general sound (with better guitar and cornier vocals) and gives the feeling that it's not bad, but it's not really amazing either. The only tune that really moves me is "Every Day" but the rest just kinda sounds nice while it's on but doesn't really fully capture my attention. "Red Flower..." is really pretty though. "Clocks" is ok but I (naggingly) keep expecting it to break into "Carmina Burana" and it messes with me every time hahaah. "Tigermoth" and the title track have some pretty moments but overall they don't make a huge impression. "Decomposing Man" is just stupid and sounds really out of place. Here's where the humor in music thing just doesn't sound appropriate. Overall its just passably good. Mean guitar parts though.

Now Voyage of the Acolyte is more up my alley! WOW! "Shadow Of The Hierophant" is just jaw droppingly amazing. Now THIS is what I expected from a Steve Hackett solo album. Soaring guitars, beautiful melodies, in-your-face mellotron and blazing synth leads. It sounds very Genesis like in parts. This really shows what a huge hand Steve had in shaping their sound. The above mentioned tune actually sounds much like Renaissance in the first half. Now if there's ever a candidate for a dream Annie/Steve duet this would be it. Actually they'd be stupid NOT to do it it's so obvious! Tell me that wouldn't be awesome! Ace Of Wands (which crushes you from go) up through Hands Of The Priestess 2 is class act stuff. I especially love "Tower Struck Down." Haven't dug into the middle stuff much, the track with Phil vox seems just ok as well as Steve's vocal track. Overall much better than Spectral Mornings though.

Steve traverses through many styles in his music - wasn't sure what would grab YOU so I mentioned several . . . ;)

Voyage of the Acolyte is MY personal favorite too . . . the best Genesis album that they never did . . . lol . . . actually, I think Rutherford and Banks guested on it, and yes, Hackett obviously had a great influence on Genesis during his tenure . . . their style markedly changed after his departure, moreso than when Gabriel left.

But I enjoy Hackett's other musings as well - he's a class act, in my book.

OMG - Hackett and Haslam doing Shadow of the Hierophant . . . that would be utterly incredible!

I really hope you enjoy the show, Eric!
tardistraveler

Postby yesman90125 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:19 am

tardistraveler wrote:Well, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of his solo works - they all showcase his style well, and if you like his style, you'll like his stuff for the most part, IMO.

My personal favorite is his first - Voyage of the Acolyte - a favorite during the 70's. I always thought of it as the best Genesis album that never was. The guitar work smacks a lot of his work on Selling England by the Pound, which is my favorite Genesis album. It's just totally soul-stirring to me.

You might also check out Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, and Guitar Noir, but seriously, anything is worth a listen - just see what's available in your local store and have a listen!

I really hope you enjoy YOUR show, Eric! :)

Very good chance you'll see me at that Rush show, are you going to see 'Yes/HSW' the night before?
In order to get in free (with summerfest admission) you have to come in the AM and get a hand stamp
for the show and there's some deal if you are there the night before you get a discount for the next day-
there's a shuttle bus near my house for $5 a day you can travel in and out of the city as many times as you want , the bus leaves every hour from here and from Summerfest(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE DOWNTOWN WHILE SUMMERFEST IS GOING ON!)
should be good doins: Jeff Beck, Clapton w/ Roger Daltrey, Yes, Rush, The Wailers, Colbie Caillat, Etc. Etc. it's the biggest music fest in the world, be sure to walk around a little before or after Rush- and maybe I'll see you there! perhaps for a barley pop.. Are you Bringing Kurt M. so I can smack him?
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am

thesage wrote:I am a hugh Renaissance fan and have been so for almost 30 years- I have drawn people's attention to them on this forum on a number of occasions- I thought that Tuscany- Renaissance's 2001 comeback album (albeit without Squire-alike- Jon Camp) was a good effort- but Land of the Rising Sun- the live album from the 2001 tour showed that Annie was not quite the voice she used to be- I suggest that people watch and listen to some recent youtube vids of the current 2/5th of Renaissance playing, but remember that Annie would have to be in her late 50s or early i 60s and she isn't the singer she once was. Its important to know what you are going to hear.

I looked some shit up and she sounds plenty fine to me I did hear some mistakes in spots but overall its still good. I found one funny vid where she announces Black Flame as being from Novella hahaha. Other than that not bad at all I'm sure it will be great to actually hear it there. They keyboard work is pretty spot on too. Thanks for mentioning the youtube vids Im a lot more excited now.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Great group , Renaissance. I used to have some of their LP's when I was a teenager
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 am

EricBliss12345 wrote:I looked some shit up and she sounds plenty fine to me I did hear some mistakes in spots but overall its still good. I found one funny vid where she announces Black Flame as being from Novella hahaha. Other than that not bad at all I'm sure it will be great to actually hear it there. They keyboard work is pretty spot on too. Thanks for mentioning the youtube vids Im a lot more excited now.

The keyboard work is spot on - you would expect t wit Brislin- he did a superb job with Yes- they are all very fine musicians - personally I hear too many mistakes and flats pus a lack of vocal strength for my liking but she is doing a great job given she is in her late 50s early 60s
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm

thesage wrote:The keyboard work is spot on - you would expect t wit Brislin- he did a superb job with Yes- they are all very fine musicians - personally I hear too many mistakes and flats pus a lack of vocal strength for my liking but she is doing a great job given she is in her late 50s early 60s

Considering that I never thought Id EVER have a chance to hear Renaissance music live I'm happy with whatever mistakes she makes. :-)
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thesage » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 am

Don't get me wrong if I was in the neighbourhood I would be going to see them as well. Enjoy the show and if you have time post a review
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:56 pm

thesage wrote:Don't get me wrong if I was in the neighbourhood I would be going to see them as well. Enjoy the show and if you have time post a review

Oh I'll have time! :-D
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu May 20, 2010 6:27 pm

yesman90125 wrote:Very good chance you'll see me at that Rush show, are you going to see 'Yes/HSW' the night before?
In order to get in free (with summerfest admission) you have to come in the AM and get a hand stamp
for the show and there's some deal if you are there the night before you get a discount for the next day-
there's a shuttle bus near my house for $5 a day you can travel in and out of the city as many times as you want , the bus leaves every hour from here and from Summerfest(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE DOWNTOWN WHILE SUMMERFEST IS GOING ON!)
should be good doins: Jeff Beck, Clapton w/ Roger Daltrey, Yes, Rush, The Wailers, Colbie Caillat, Etc. Etc. it's the biggest music fest in the world, be sure to walk around a little before or after Rush- and maybe I'll see you there! perhaps for a barley pop.. Are you Bringing Kurt M. so I can smack him?

I don't know all our plans yet - Arlene is coordinating things. I know we have tix for the Renaissance/Hackett show, and I know Arlene and hubby at least are planning to come back up for Rush, but I don't know yet if I'll stay long enough to do that. And I don't know who all's coming for Hackett/Renaissance either - not yet.

I don't think there's plans to come up special for Yes - didn't know they were in the mix that week. All of us have seen this particular lineup already, so we haven't been following it closely.

I'll let you know as I know more about our plans. I'm just coming up to Chicago, and I'm along for the ride with whatever they want to do . . . :)
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 pm

And that "ride" happened last week . . .

I didn't wind up staying for the whole week - just drove up Tuesday to Chicago, then Arlene and I drove to Milwaukee on Wednesday for the show. Back to Chicago Thursday morning, and I left for Nashville.

But it was a FANTASTIC ride! Had a wonderful dinner pre-show with Arlene, Kurt, James/lostinmusing, and his wife Jill. Saw Yesfriends Brent and Roland at the show.

The show was PHENOMENAL. Renaissance took the stage first, and opened with Prologue. I started tearing up, just incredulous that I was actually SEEING them again after so many years. Annie's voice is still amazingly good - all the musicianship was excellent, in my book. And they had NEW music! They played one of the new songs in their set, and at intermission they sold an EP with three new songs, which they graciously autographed.

If the show had ended then, it would have been worth the trip, but next up was Steve Hackett, who played a flawless set including Ace of Wands from Voyage of the Acolyte (YES!!!), and encored with Firth of Fifth! :eek:

I was definitely on a concert high when he finished! Totally worth going, and I'll make every effort to see either of these again if there's another tour.

So Eric - how was YOUR show???? Stop by and post when you can!
tardistraveler

Return to Alternate Tunes