Songs from Tsongas DVD

Postby Kalingzeye » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm

I just FINALLY ordered this yesterday! Oh I'm so excited... I can't wait! :D So glad to have Mind Drive immortalized on DVD... whew! It's about time I put that Christmas gift certificate to good use... ( b^-^)b
Kalingzeye

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Third watching. Think I have seen most of both dvd's.

Jon seems on the point of breaking out in laughter while singing "Starship Trooper" like on a '74 Tales Tour bootleg.
Could it be the influence of "Wakeup"(Wakeman) nearby?
He almost makes Rick start laughing after his piano intro to "The Meeting" also.
And, on the Keys to Ascension video he introduced "Rick Wakeup" right before Wakeman starts the intricate piano prelude to "Awaken", then Rick starts laughing while playing..

Don't really dig the acoustic set(does Howe's guitar need to be turned down even more?!), but "Show Me" is good.
Rythm of Love- sounds better w/Rabin playing.

Can anyone imagine Jon walking around the audience during "Awaken"? That would be cool if he did a mosh pit stage dive and then everyone carried him above their heads. :eek:

Overall, Howe's guitar is more powerful than on Symphonic. The show has a grittier and more "live" feel.
Squire rips again on the "Ritual" solo. It's more "watery" than on Symphonic. He looks either tired or that tall red cup he samples after the song ended had some strong beer in it.

What I'd like to see is "The Fish"(shindeleria praemataurus) as it was played on the Yessongs album. It wasn't in the film, and I've never seen it performed lived except maybe at the Universal Amphitheater concert of '02, but if I don't remember it..,,

An extra treat was "Every Little Thing" which I vaguely remember from one of their first albums.
Haven't watched AYOI, Trooper, YIND, TOTC in their entirety yet....
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

fifth watching

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Getting more into this DVD. Saw it last night. "Mind Drive part 3" was cool and Wakeman plays so fast! Then YIND, which I thought was the closest to the Yessongs version I've heard, except the middle part which is always different...
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby child-of-the-light » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:34 am

Is it just me or does Every Little Thing SUCK? Jon screws up the words and the entire beat just falls apart. Starship trooper wasnt as good as symphonic.
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

Veteran Member

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:47 pm

child-of-the-light wrote:Is it just me or does Every Little Thing SUCK? Jon screws up the words and the entire beat just falls apart. Starship trooper wasnt as good as symphonic.

I don't even know why they decided to do Every Little Thing on this tour. It certainly isn't an encore type piece. I believe they added Starship Trooper just for this show which may explain why it sounds rather abbreviated and not very polished. They had been playing Soon as the final encore earlier in the tour. Again, not a very good encore piece.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:47 pm

I still contend after repeated watching's of this video that they should have filmed "earlier" in the tour. The band is obviously tired from the long tour. At times they simply appear "lifeless". Tis' a shame cause for the most part a great song list to work with.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 pm

Watching this today.
I am growing to like "Rythm of Love"- man, what if he tripped while walking through the audience?

Howe does some pretty good guitar work at the end of this song.

I'm sure I saw SMatt from Yesfans in the front row in tie-dye and glasses..
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:17 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Watching this today.
I am growing to like "Rythm of Love"- man, what if he tripped while walking through the audience?

Well, someone would catch him, of course. :)
I got to shake his hand during his walk at the Philly and the NYC show. Very nice! Someone made a tape of the NYC show and my arm is in there, reaching out to him. I'm famous now. ;)
Roan's Lady

Re: Songs from Tsongas DVD

Postby twinarchers » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:58 pm

:confused: I find it interesting that there are not more posts on this great DVD. I have to admit that the mix could be a little better with the guitar volulme turned up for a harder rock sound but this was not done by Yes but by that public television show Soundstage. The band should be thrilled they did such a terrific job visually because it is first rate. I think it will be their ultimate concert DVD in the end.
I dont know the history of this but if it were not for Soundstage what would we have gotten for the 35th tour?? Maybe Yes orchestrated the show with Soundstage I dont know?
I will be getting Montreux and Symphonic so I dont know how those are but this one has that great stage by Dean so that makes it more interesting visually. House of Blues and Directors cut is on my list too but that is for the future and to show Yes management there is still a market out there and hopefully they will keep em coming!!
twinarchers

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:26 pm

I don't have an official copy of this yet - think I've got a VHS tape that I taped when they showed this on public TV . . . I'll have to add this to my collection as cash permits . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:18 am

I'll have to dig this out and watch it again. It's been QUITE a while. I loved most of the show. The sound was mostly okay, but it's definite that Steve should've been mixed louder. It was okay, but not the best. Maybe watching it again will make me change my mind a little more.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby coalescestudionyc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:59 pm

For the first time in about a year, I watched the first disc last night and I still say this is the best Yes DVD available. I love the stage, the scope, the song selection and especially the line-up. It's a shame that schedules/personalities/whatever didn't permit this lineup to record any new material, but at least this glorious tour was committed to DVD.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 pm

And, it rankles me that I could have been AT that show, but couldn't afford to make the road trip to get there...

I have to agree with you... the DVD is wonderful...
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 pm

I watched this again a few nights ago and two things that are still strange to me is how they broke up "Mind Drive" when they could've (imho, should've) just played it in its entirety and also only playing just a teeny little footnote of "Footprints" instead of doing the whole thing. Just minor gripes, really. I'm liking it more as I watch it.

I'm just waiting for the DVD of this past tour to come out and to watch on the screen as Steve Howe is actually kicking ass, putting some dirt in his guitar, smiling, and jumping and moving all around. It'll definitely be a sight to see! :cool:
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, I never quite understood breaking Mind Drive into two parts . . .
tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

On the first page I posted in this it was 2005. Now on the second page its 2010? WTF??? hahaha

I still think this is the best live document of the band, this and QPR. It's funny I recently let a buddy of mine borrow it and he loved it. I think my copy's totally ruined too, like most all of my cds.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Wakemaniac » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 am

yesman90125 wrote:I got the DVD for christmas and it arrived yesterday

it is a phenomonal DVD

Go buy this NOW!!!!!!!!!!

its in my hot little hands
finnally! :D

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!
Caroline [:yes]songs
Wakemaniac