Keys to Ascension

Keys to Ascension

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:47 am

This is sort of a repetition of past posts(what isn't?), but new perspectives are welcome...
I got Keys to Ascension about three weeks ago and have watched much of it, not all. I haven't gotten around to "Awaken" yet. :eek:
Saving that for when I am in the mood as it is a somewhat "sacred" song.
My favorites on it so far are "Going for the One" and "Turn of the Century".
I play it on a Daewoo CD/VCR with some large computer speakers and have sampled both the 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby. Overall the 5.1 sounds better.
Also, I am thinking of buying YesYears(about $34) or a Classic Pictures documentary on Steve Howe or Yes ("Inside the Music") or Songs from Tsongas
So, now, some reviews of Keys to Ascension and comparison of the others from YOU....
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Camerman needs rehab

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:57 pm

I don't like replying to my own posts, but I did watch "Awaken" and "Going for the One" yesterday and had to make this comment.
I can't believe the camerman was focussing on Squire (and others, mixed in with the trippy graphics-vids) during the juiciest parts of Howe's solos during both songs!!
It's like both the camerman and the artistic directors of this video didn't know Yes' songs!!!
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:57 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:I don't like replying to my own posts, but I did watch "Awaken" and "Going for the One" yesterday and had to make this comment.
I can't believe the camerman was focussing on Squire (and others, mixed in with the trippy graphics-vids) during the juiciest parts of Howe's solos during both songs!!
It's like both the camerman and the artistic directors of this video didn't know Yes' songs!!!
I haven't seen this DVD yet, but I'm sure ther were multiple camerapersons present. Blame the editor! I find this stuff happens a lot during concert DVD's. Symphonic is a great example of how to edit correctly.
Gary

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:44 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:I don't like replying to my own posts, but I did watch "Awaken" and "Going for the One" yesterday and had to make this comment.
Wait until you get to Starship Trooper! During Howe's final solo the camera is focused on Wakeman playing the 3 background chords...that and shots of the entire band from about 100yards away w/o using zoom! The entire film is very annoying this way! It seems they almost never focus the attention on whomever is playing the solo at the time.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:47 pm

Terry Shea wrote:Wait until you get to Starship Trooper! During Howe's final solo the camera is focused on Wakeman playing the 3 background chords...that and shots of the entire band from about 100yards away w/o using zoom! The entire film is very annoying this way! It seems they almost never focus the attention on whomever is playing the solo at the time.

I keep hoping they'll make a reissue of this video with proper camera angles and w/o all the special effects.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:45 am

I like what they did with the Genesis "The way we walk" DVD. You have 6 different camera angles and you can choose what you want when you want. Great concert.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:49 pm

I don't think the cameraman knows either YES music or music in general!

He seems to just shoot whichever performer randomly catches his attention, whenever, wherever on the stage!!

But anyway, last night I was watching it and really got into it, even with the incorrect camera work . The videos and images they insert into the stage shot and background are really cool and enhance the experience, and the sound isn't bad.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Forgot what I was going for the one to say.......

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:01 am

Oh, yeah, ummm..
Was watching this vid tonight and I can certainly say I dig, "The Revealing Science of God". What trips me out is the visuals, and the delicacies of the instrumental passages, not to mention the mind expanding opening chant..............................
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Whitefish » Mon May 08, 2006 11:49 pm

I watched the video last night for the second or third time. It is really great! What a setlist! [:yes] I also love the visuals! [} :) ]
Whitefish

Re: Keys to Ascension

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun May 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Watched it again last night, day after my UFO experience.

More I watch it, more I like it. Visuals are great, replete with Roger Dean album cover clips. It is the most artistically interesting Yes DVD.

Someone said there were overdubs, but I think it was just off-sync slow motion or delayed concert footage vs. the audio
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:07 pm

the wierd thing about the DVD is it doesn't seem to be mixed as well as the Cd live tracks
the Cd is spectacular as far as the live tracks Go
the Dvd has some issues
the Camera work is a little wierd
Jon Looks like a Freak
and the sound seems to Drop out at points
whereas the Cd is a Pristine mix
I agree with Greenglade here about the timing of the Cameraman
and I wonder why they didn't use the same mix that they used on CD
this would have been among the Best DVD's if the sound and camera work was better
still gotta Rank Songs From Tsongas as the best
then ABWH
nice try with Keys though
Great Cd's
Awaken is awesome and Turn of The Century and Onward also Rule the Discs
it really doesn't get better than Awaken
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 am

Just watch "Starship Trooper" Pretty ragingly good. And Howe's solo was hot.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby khalpin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 pm

2 things. Yes, there are overdubs on the CD. I actually have a non-overdubbed soundboard of one of the nights. It's not too different. Mainly backing vocals.

But the other thing is that there were three shows at SLO and the video isn't always from the same night as the audio is, actually, I don't know if they filmed every night or just one. That's my theory anyway, I don't know if it's true or not. But there are parts where I can watch Howe's hands and it just doesn't match what he's playing. Specifically America, as I learned and tabbed out that song myself a couple years ago and the video was my primary resource, so I'm quite familiar with it. I also tried to learn Revealing Science and ran into similar problems.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Postby The Ancient » Thu May 08, 2008 4:10 pm

It's all about the overdubs. They had to use alternate camera angles and special effects or the vid wouldn't match the audio. The editor should have been paid double for doing this film. I do like the way it turned out and especially like Onward and RSOG.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Return to Into the Lens