Owner of a Lonely Heart (the New Rap version)

Owner of a Lonely Heart (the New Rap version)

Postby CoinsAndCrosses » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:09 pm

"Imperial battleship... stop the flow of time!" - The Emperor of the First Circle of the Universe -Starcrash (1979)
CoinsAndCrosses

Postby Sidewinder_6 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:07 am

What did they do to it!? Owner isn't my favorite song out there but it still deserves respect. Personally, I HATE rap music, so it might not be as much of a sin to everyone else but to me, it's horrible! If you'll excuse me, I have to cut off my ears now.
Sidewinder_6

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:37 pm

OUCH!

Another example of a regular song turned into a background for a terrible rap . . . :rolleyes:

At least maybe Yes will get some royalties, perhaps . . .
tardistraveler

Postby Kalingzeye » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:27 am

Oh my... what... HAPPENED?! :eek:
Kalingzeye

Owner Rap

Postby thesage » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:43 pm

I find it very difficult to accept rap as music- it is undoubtedly rythmical- but I tend to see music as requiring a certain talent to actually create melody, song and lyrics have to blend together- it takes skill to do it well- the majority of rap which I am unwittingly exposed to- I would never bother to listen to it myself- seems to sample the actual melody anothers artist- the rapper then writes rhyming lyrics- usually derogatory which is spoken- not sung-- excuse me--- how is this music- is has more to do with voice as percussion- melody it isn't!- the only thing that annoys me more than rap- is the trend to refer to djs who mix music as musicians!!!!
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:19 am

thesage wrote:...--- how is this music- is has more to do with voice as percussion- melody it isn't!-...

And, is percussion not music? No, I'm not a fan of rap, not at all, but percussion IS music. I heard once, from a percussionist, that ANYTHING is a musical instrument. All you have to do is to be able to hit it and produce a noise. Different tones produce melodies, rhythms turn those melodies to music. Voice as percussion... that's an interesting concept, and one that I like... but that phrase - "Voice as percussion" - says, loudly, MUSIC.

What music is enjoyed is entirely up to the individual listener. If it "strikes a chord", arouses emotion, makes one move in time, hasn't it accomplished what music is intended to accomplish? However, what moves me one way (if it's rap, I generally move AWAY from the sound :D ) will move another in an entirely different direction. Those that love rap (and I do know many) could very well call [:yes] noise. They don't hear the soaring beauty we hear. I don't hear it in rap. That's what makes us individuals... and I'm glad we are. :)
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby tardistraveler » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:38 am

I've always thought of rap as poetry with rhythm.

Unfortunately, much of it is BAD poetry, and the rhythm gets pretty monotonous . . . :rolleyes:
tardistraveler

Postby Joedude » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:14 am

tardistraveler wrote:I've always thought of rap as poetry with rhythm.

Unfortunately, much of it is BAD poetry, and the rhythm gets pretty monotonous . . . :rolleyes:

Not to mention they usually can't write any original music - they're always using someone elses riff. And it's usually only a specific (usually small) part that is sampled to death.

Overall, I can't say that I like it, but it does give me another way to start introducing [:yes] [:y2] to others that may not be familair with them.

I hope Trevor enjoys the royalties.
This to just remind you
[color=DarkRed]All is meant to be
[/color]
Joedude

Postby N2yes » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:46 pm

Sorry, but you folks are affording C Rap music with far more credit than it deserves. ( N2 angrily summons a cyberbolt from the interheavens and destroys thread....not really ) ; )
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: Owner of a Lonely Heart (the New Rap version)

Postby Aventure » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Uh, Oh....here we go again...Aventure will join when he is summoned by the Oracles of Hipocrisy
"...sheep remain inside their pens, though many times they've seen the way to leave..."
-peter gabriel
Aventure

Veteran Member

Postby Nina loves Yes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:59 pm

poor Jon...what have these rappers done to you? God, I can't tell you how much I hate this so-called music.
"I know she's been doing cartoons of me and Yes for ages...
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=100][color=violet]...and she's really, really good!" ~ Rick Wakeman [size=134]♥[/size]

[LEFT]visit me and my Yes boys at www.myspace.com/proganimewakey and www.youtube.com/wakeyforever[/LEFT]
[/color][/font][/size]
Nina loves Yes

Postby Kalingzeye » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:53 am

Oh, I'm sure they're getting royalties off it. ;) However maybe not that much, since I don't think this particular version hit it off too well. I dunno, I used to HATE rap. Like reaaaally loathe it. But over the years, I've actually gained a lot of respect for the art and have actually acquired a taste for it. I do like the stuff that has a lot of rhythm and actual decent rhymes, especially if it's mixed in with a catchy chorus. Though, I do really think some groups nowadays need to lay off the excessive sampling. I'm not a big listener, but I have my cravings for it every now and then.

(Any of you guys familiar with the Gym Class Heroes "Cupid's Chokehold"? Shit like that makes me so mad. I mean, it's one thing to take a sample of a song- just a little PIECE- and make it into your own thing. I can actually appreciate that. But GCH basically took the whole hook from Supertramp's "Breakfast In America", didn't change a thing, rerecorded it and put it in their song. Which, other than the stuff they took from Supertramp, SUCKED and would never have made it big. Then I have to deal with the people my age, GCH's target audience, who don't know it's not their own chorus at ALL. It pisses me off to have to tell everyone it's NOT their song. Then they're like "What?" and feel all lied to. I think uncreative bullcrap like that should be stopped at some point... :mad: )
Kalingzeye

Postby Hed G. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:I think uncreative bullcrap like that should be stopped at some point... :mad: )

I agree with you totally!
It's time the legislative system decreed that wholesale sampling of someone else's music is a capital offence. I would personally like to throw the switch when they fry Sean Coombs/Puff Daddy/p. Diddy/whatever-the-phuck-he-calls-himself.
Bruford Really Kicks Ass!
Hed G.

Postby yesman90125 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 pm

well music by definition has to have melody so the pumping rhythems of rap while they may be the flavor of the day because they are so simple to create dont really count in my mind as actual music this is all cyclical and good music will be back the times allready are a changin'
now you will pretty much be able to download any song you want for free and through computers they will be able to see whats most popular I have to think that while there is some sexy appeal to some of the rnb and rap music of today most people will gravitate toward actual talented musicians even if they have to give their stuff away or sell it cheap.
just to let you know the video is allready taken down by you tube.
so it didn't go anywhere
some of us may be old enough to remember the yes remixes in the 80s because 90125 was so popular it was attempted to turn it into dance music so they did this in the 80s and that could be half the reason so many older fans are annoyed by the rabin era yes
Remember the 80's Yes remixes of owner , leave it, changes , it can happen, they tried again with less success on big generator with love will find a way and the rhythem of love. but some rnb stations played the Yes remixes pretty often in the early 80's it was a horrible time in music
they even tried to redew the beatles and motzart into "Remixes"
those producers should be lined up and shot like the bottom feeders they are.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:26 am

Oh god they've ruined this song. I really do despise rap artists (that is, if you can call them artists, which personally I don't think is an accurate title). It's talentless drivvle! Thankfully here in the UK people who can actually play instruments are beginning to come back into fashion. I wonder if the progressive rock movement will ever make a comeback...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 am

thehallway wrote:I wonder if the progressive rock movement will ever make a comeback...

I do think it's beginning to.. There are digital channels, publications, & you here more about 'prog' than you used to even a year/18m ago - it's no longer the genre that dare not speak it's name!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Wakemaniac » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:41 pm

[quote="Nina loves Yes"]poor Jon...what have these rappers done to you? God, I can't tell you how much I hate this so-called music.[/

I am a hundred percent with you Nina!!I HATE rap !How DARE they destroy Jon's song!!!
Caroline [:yes]songs
Wakemaniac

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Wakemaniac wrote:
Nina loves Yes wrote:poor Jon...what have these rappers done to you? God, I can't tell you how much I hate this so-called music.[/

I am a hundred percent with you Nina!!I HATE rap !How DARE they destroy Jon's song!!!

Ah... Trevor's song. It's interesting that the more complex Yes doesn't seem to be of much interest to the rappers/samplers.

On the wider issue there are good and bad examples of all types of music and that includes Rap. I loved You Wear the Crown and White Lines from the eighties and my appreciation [of them] has grown since. That's possibly because Rap has tended to have more than its fair share of adherents from the unoriginal, the talentless and the negative. Most of it is shit, but the same goes for most musical genres. Lowest common denominator material is the stuff that tends to rise to the surface [unfortunately mostly in the form of scum as opposed to cream]. Doesn't mean it's all like that.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Chris2210 wrote:
Wakemaniac wrote: ... Lowest common denominator material is the stuff that tends to rise to the surface [unfortunately mostly in the form of scum as opposed to cream]. Doesn't mean it's all like that.

AMEN, Chris...
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Return to Into the Lens