YES-LIVE AT MONTREUX 2003

YES-LIVE AT MONTREUX 2003

Postby yesman90125 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:48 pm

The "Live At Montreux 2003" DVD has been around for awhile now.
I couldn't find any posts about it sorry if I missed something.
A few friends of mine had picked it up
and some had bought the CD version and said they really liked it.
I held off for awhile in favor of "Songs From Tsongas" "YesSymphonic" "Yesacoustic" and "Yesspeak"
I'm Sort of sorry I did because I'd beeen missing a really great DVD concert.
the Cd is especially good
the only problem I have is that simililar to my "Keys to Ascension" DVd the sound seems different from the CD and seems to Drop down in volume in places
it's abit of a distraction .
bit overal the DVD is very nice.
Siberian Khatru
Magnification
Don't Kill The Whale
In The Presence Of
We Have Heaven
South side Of The Sky
and You And I
To Be Over
Clap
Show Me
Wakeman solo
Heart Of The sunrise
Long distance runaround
The Fish
Awaken
All Good People
Roundabout
I have only had the disc for about a week
.I watched it all the way through once and have hit select songs a few times.
I think its decent and if the sound was steady it would be excellent.

I've been pre-occupied with Moody Blues and Jethro Tull lately so maybe after afew more listens I'll have another comment on the "Live At Montreux 2003 DVD".
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Re: YES-LIVE AT MONTREUX 2003

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi,
I wasn't too thrilled with the sound on Montreux, but I am with Yes The Director's Cut, which is exactly the same set but from a concert 12 days earlier. OK I was there, and I caught sight of myself on the DVD so I'm hardly impartial! Watching it last night and this morning (I only bought it this week), I was reminded of Chris getting a metal splinter in his finger from, I think, one of his bass strings. Does this happen often to bass players?

I wasn't keen on YesSpeak, I didn't like the use of a narrator for one thing, nothing against Roger Daltry, he was just speaking the words given to him, but YesYears did'n't need a narrator, and neither did YesSpeak; let the band and it's music tell the story. Yes: The Director's Cut is a far more satisfactory concert documentary, and the Glastonbury show is great too, terrific Heart of the Sunrise there.

Best wishes,
Ash
War Music, Peace Music, Love Music,
We move to it all..........
Ash

Postby Kalingzeye » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:13 am

Ooh! Yeah. This one. I really loved the cover art for it... it's really sleek and sexy, one of my favourite modern YES covers... *cough*ehem*cough* Well, the actual FOOTAGE, right... eh, it's not my favourite of all my YESdvds, but it is very good, and they play really well. Jon's voice stands out particularly as being spot-on in that one. My favourites are I think... 9012Live, ABWH, and ah... which one was it.. the semi-recent-one with the inflatable pool toy set. I can't remember what it was called, 35th anniversary or something. Reaaally like those. ♥
Kalingzeye

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:47 am

Kalingzeye wrote:Ooh! Yeah. This one. I really loved the cover art for it... it's really sleek and sexy, one of my favourite modern YES covers... *cough*ehem*cough* Well, the actual FOOTAGE, right... eh, it's not my favourite of all my YESdvds, but it is very good, and they play really well. Jon's voice stands out particularly as being spot-on in that one. My favourites are I think... 9012Live, ABWH, and ah... which one was it.. the semi-recent-one with the inflatable pool toy set. I can't remember what it was called, 35th anniversary or something. Reaaally like those. ♥

"Songs From Tsongas"
I think that might be my fav too
along with the ABWH
the [email="K@A"]K 2 A[/email] set is good but something seems to be going on with the sound on the DVD, while the CD vesion is spectacular.
same thing with Yessongs it hasn't aged well with me
but I loved it when I first got it 100 years ago.

I really like the Yes symphonic quite a bit too
I was getting into that version of Ritual the other night really heavy
digging that drum production in the middle big time
home ,Going home....I think I'll watch it again!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:02 am

Kalingzeye wrote:Ooh! Yeah. This one. I really loved the cover art for it... it's really sleek and sexy, one of my favourite modern YES covers... *cough*ehem*cough* ♥

Did you design it?
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:17 am

Terry Shea wrote:Did you design it?

lol I WISH... :p ♥ (...but I could have, haha...)
But my graphic-style art-student-ness looooooves it... As a more graphic artist myself, rather than fine art, I really enjoy YES's more minimal and pop-art type covers~ I actually don't think there's one YES cover that I don't like, they've all been pretty good... maybe the first one or two are a little off, just cuz they're old, but even the crazy ones like GFTO and Tormato I like... x_x
Kalingzeye

Postby Terry Shea » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:but even the crazy ones like GFTO and Tormato I like... x_x

Shhhh! Somebody from the band may be eavesdropping! :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 pm

My first encounter of the montreux concert was actually the song Don't Kill The Whale which featured on a classic rock dvd that came free with a Led Zeppelin magazine (Odd I know). Since then I havn't actually bought the dvd but I found South Side on youtube; I was interested to see how well they pulled it off as it was rarely played live back in the 70s.

Has anyone seen Deep Purple at montreux? That gig is particularly good.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:26 pm

yeh, I saw that Purple @ Montreux gig - Rock-on-TV channel, I think! one of the few things they have on permanent loop on that channel! LoL.

I liked purple 'back in the day', Highway Star was one of the few tracks I've been known to play live! Burn, I think was the first album I ever bought..

I didnt have high expectactions of it, cos they're kinda old these days but I thought it was excellent!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

I've now added the montreux dvd to my collection. And You And I is fantastic! However I agree with yesman90125 that the sound is a bit variable, Awaken for example seems to be uncharacteristicly quiet. The Fish was excellent as usual (with the snippets from On The Silent Wings Of Freedom) and once again proved how synchronised Alan and Chris are with eachother, but Wakeman stole the show with his solo spot, which featured an incredibly fast Jane Seymour.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 pm

I have this on Blu-ray, and they're not the most "HD-friendly" band, appearance-wise.

But this disc is absolutely terrific. Between the House of Blues DVD and the Songs from Tsongas DVD, the band in it's latter stages is more-than well represented. As warm and fuzzy as Yessongs and Live At QPR are, they can't hold a candle to today's DVDs.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Return to Into the Lens