What is the best YES dvd available?
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Re: Best YES dvd available

Postby yesman90125 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:22 pm

I'd say it's A draw between Songs From Tsongas and Yessymphonic
Live at montreux is ok too. and House Of blues is Pretty Good
Something is wrong with the sound on Keys To Ascension otherwise I'd probably pick that.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:26 am

yesman90125 wrote:I'd say it's A draw between Songs From Tsongas and Yessymphonic
Live at montreux is ok too. and House Of blues is Pretty Good
Something is wrong with the sound on Keys To Ascension otherwise I'd probably pick that.

Tsongas and Yessymphonic are both excellent! I think the sound on Keys is superb, but it has all those annoying special effects and bad camera shots (like focusing on everyone in the band except the person playing the solo).

The Union Japanese import is also great, but very hard to find. The sound is absolutely fantastic.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 am

Terry Shea wrote:Tsongas and Yessymphonic are both excellent! I think the sound on Keys is superb, but it has all those annoying special effects and bad camera shots (like focusing on everyone in the band except the person playing the solo).

The Union Japanese import is also great, but very hard to find. The sound is absolutely fantastic.

Maybe there's something wrong with my DVD
the sound drops in and out like a gate isnt working right
I can live with the video problems -the CD's sound great
but something seems screwy not something the band is doing it's the mix or the DVD itself
Tsongas has many Overdubs-Montreux really doesn't
But the Montreux DVD seems to suffer some of the Problems with the Gates that Keys does.
(Same engineer?)
it might detract if your an audiophile-I'd say if your looking for a clean recording and good video Quality and Camera angles its Tsongas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

We should do a poll!
I cant seem to figure that out
I'll work on it.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:08 pm

yesman90125 wrote:Maybe there's something wrong with my DVD
the sound drops in and out like a gate isnt working right
I can live with the video problems -the CD's sound great
but something seems screwy not something the band is doing it's the mix or the DVD itself
Tsongas has many Overdubs-Montreux really doesn't
But the Montreux DVD seems to suffer some of the Problems with the Gates that Keys does.
(Same engineer?)
it might detract if your an audiophile-I'd say if your looking for a clean recording and good video Quality and Camera angles its Tsongas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

We should do a poll!
I cant seem to figure that out
I'll work on it.

Yeah, it does do that in a few places, but I've noticed that on many of the DVDs. Just keep a remote in your hand and controlling the volume is no problem. :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Purely historical, I'd cast my vote for QPR.
Otherwise, (I know I'll get called out on this one) ABWH DVD. It doesn't get much better than that concert.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:21 am

happytheman wrote:Purely historical, I'd cast my vote for QPR.
Otherwise, (I know I'll get called out on this one) ABWH DVD. It doesn't get much better than that concert.

it is the best recorded concert, I havn't been able to find that on DVD anywhere but I have it on VHS
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 am

Tsongas was actually made for PBS.
HOBs is OK, not my favorite at all, Keys is more representaive of YES.
Symphonic may beat them all, then again if you haven't seen YESSONGS, u ain't a true Yes fan
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:33 am

Sonicly Yessongs hasn't worn well
in it's day it was the best though.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm

yesman90125 wrote:it is the best recorded concert, I havn't been able to find that on DVD anywhere but I have it on VHS

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7462852&style=movie
Hope this link works, CDUniverse.com
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 pm

happytheman wrote:http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7462852&style=movie
Hope this link works, CDUniverse.com

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="100%">Yes - Live At Montreux 2003 DVD is there too

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby NumberNine » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Yessymphonic and QPR!

There are overdubs on tsonga??????? i Know that keysto was dubbed but tsongas too?
NumberNine

Postby thehallway » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Yesspeak Live: The Director's Cut is the newest and one of the best Yes dvds (in terms of sound and quality). I would buy it but they show it on tv every day on sky channel 260, Rock-on tv! (UK only) :icon_appr
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:13 pm

thehallway wrote:Yesspeak Live: The Director's Cut is the newest and one of the best Yes dvds (in terms of sound and quality). I would buy it but they show it on tv every day on sky channel 260, Rock-on tv! (UK only) :icon_appr

yes they do, dont they?!! I must have sat thro it (on & off) several times (never seem to get to see the whole thing!) This is from the 2003 tour, the main concert filmed at the NIA, Birmingham UK. Sonically it's good, but visually its not that exciting - the band look bad (Jon in lilac tracksuit), stage set consisting of drapes of silver spandex (no doubt later recycled into shorts for Alan). the bit of their performance @ Glastonbury's quite fun.

I like Songs from the Tsongas m'self, and after that the Symphonic Tour - the version of Gates with the orchestra is phenomenal!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby style0 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 pm

For me it's Symphonic for music and performance, and Classic Artist for history.
Ben Franklin discovered it, but it took Bob Moog to find it's proper use.
style0

Postby tardistraveler » Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 pm

To me, Symphonic is the closest one to actually BEING at a Yes show! It captures the magic vibe . . . :cool:
tardistraveler

Postby yesguitarman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm a purest, for me it's Yessongs and QPR. That era of YES music is just magic to me. It's a shame tha Yessongs doesn't have the complete version of Starship Trooper (only the Wurm section during the end credits) and Perpetual Change. Since Bill was out of the band at that time that probably influenced the decision on what was included. I also enjoy the BBC Sounding Out and GFTO sessions bootleg DVDs from a historical perspective. Sonically, for a contemporary DVD, I'd give the nod to Live at Montreux.
yesguitarman

Postby twinarchers » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

[} :) ]
I have a question about QPR.
It used to be sold as two individule DVDs which are now out of print but Tommygun sells it along with other things on a DVD.
He has ads on Youtube and My Space.
Has anyone purchased that specific version?
They say it has remastered sound taken from a rare Japanese laser disc of the entire QPR concert.

yesguitarman wrote:I'm a purest, for me it's Yessongs and QPR. That era of YES music is just magic to me. It's a shame tha Yessongs doesn't have the complete version of Starship Trooper (only the Wurm section during the end credits) and Perpetual Change. Since Bill was out of the band at that time that probably influenced the decision on what was included. I also enjoy the BBC Sounding Out and GFTO sessions bootleg DVDs from a historical perspective. Sonically, for a contemporary DVD, I'd give the nod to Live at Montreux.
twinarchers

Postby Conall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:00 am

twinarchers wrote:[} :) ]
They say it has remastered sound taken from a rare Japanese laser disc of the entire QPR concert.

I have that rare Japanese laser disc of QPR. Unfortunately, it has the same crappy sound as all the other versions. The problem obviously originated during the recording process. I don't know anything about how that would or should be done, and obviously they (i.e., whoever was in charge of that) didn't know either back in those days! Sounded like Steve hit a loud chord and something blew up. What a great shame....
Conall

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 am

For me, YesSymphonic for two reasons: Gates Of Delirium and Ritual!

Yessongs is also a great one as well, at their absolute peak musically, especially Steve.

I have the Yesyears DVD (paid $55 for it 3 years ago!) and the Classic Artists DVD and both give such a deep history of the band even though when you watch both DVDs some of the stories told on both (the exact same stories) seem to conflict with each other. I guess that happens over time. Overall, documentary wise, I'd go with the Classic Artists DVD because it's a little more detailed and tells more of the story of the band we all know and love and also for the bonus interview snippets and videos (although they could've thrown in the "Lift Me Up" video). The pre-SLO rehearsals aren't too bad either.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Return to Into the Lens