Live in Chile 1994

Live in Chile 1994

Postby happytheman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 am

Anyone seen this or the clips on YouTube? It's available from CDUniverse. Set list looks the same as the boot I have from Orlando. Curious if it's worth ordering, loved that line up during that tour, they were very tight and played a great mix of songs.
happytheman

Charter Member

Re: Live in Chile 1994

Postby Chris2210 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Not seen this before. I'm presuming this is the Rabin line-up. I have to say that the set-list of Live in Lugano [also new on me] appeals a bit more.

One thing that strikes me about both these set lists [particularly Chile] is that the performance includes so much [in the context of their time] new material.

I suppose not having recorded since 2001, nothing today might be said to be particularly 'new'. But it was a source of slight disappointment to me that the recent gig I attended was far too backward looking. I loved hearing the performances of Astral Traveler and Machine Messiah particularly, but the most recent thing they played was Owner of a Lonely Heart!

Look at the set list in chronological order:

1 from Time and a Word
3 longer tracks from The Yes Album
3 long tracks from Fragile [ie all of them] [+ Mood for a Day in Steve's solo!]
2 tracks from Close to the Edge
1 track from Tormato
2 tracks from Drama
1 from 90125

That's the vast majority of the material from no later than 1972!

Much as I enjoyed the gig, they could ditch the whole lot of that playlist for me to explore some of the newer catalogue that hasn't been flogged to death. OK, I suppose I can accept they have to play one or two things that will be familiar to more casual fans, but I'd like to see more commitment to other compositions - perhaps if they do record fresh material it might make their performance content fresher too. Not the odd track - but a large slice of new and less heard material.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Here's the setlist from the Santiago 1994 show, according to Forgotten Yesterdays.

Intro/Perpetual Change
The Calling
I Am Waiting
Rhythm Of Love
Real Love
Hearts
Changes
Heart Of The Sunrise
Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Rabin Piano Solo/And You And I
I've Seen All Good People
Walls
Endless Dream
Roundabout/Purple Haze

So, prior to 1983, you have Perpetual Change, HOTS, ISAGP, and Roundabout - all the rest were Rabin-era tracks, with several from the then-current album. That's how it should be, with a band that's making new music, IMO.
tardistraveler

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:56 pm

That's precisely my point, Diane. I probably need to stop there - it's starting to sound like I'm a Rabinite [especially as I rather like the Talk album]. Whoops!
Chris2210

Postby happytheman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:01 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Here's the setlist from the Santiago 1994 show, according to Forgotten Yesterdays.

Intro/Perpetual Change
The Calling
I Am Waiting
Rhythm Of Love
Real Love
Hearts
Changes
Heart Of The Sunrise
Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Rabin Piano Solo/And You And I
I've Seen All Good People
Walls
Endless Dream
Roundabout/Purple Haze

So, prior to 1983, you have Perpetual Change, HOTS, ISAGP, and Roundabout - all the rest were Rabin-era tracks, with several from the then-current album. That's how it should be, with a band that's making new music, IMO.

Agree 100%. Tours "used" to feature a good amount (if not all in the case of Close to the Edge, Relayer) of the new album. The whole point was to drive sales! Imagine that.
Throwing in Roundabout was simply a nod to fans who bought the single.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:56 am

I've seen some of that footage on YouTube as well and I really enjoyed it. Other than the Talk tour, the last tour the band actually played any significant amount of new music was during The Ladder tour:

Homeworld, It Will Be A Good Day, Lightning Strikes, Face To Face, The Messenger, Nine Voices.

If only on the Yessymphonic tour they would've played either "Spirit Of Survival," "Can You Imagine," "We Agree," or especially "Dreamtime" (my favorite on the Magnification album), they would've went down very well, I believe.

Wasn't there a radio broadcast of this particular Talk show?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah, slightly bizarre that they went to the trouble of engaging an orchestra and then only played Magnification and ITPO, the latter of which is not heavily orchestrated anyway. I would have liked to have hear them perform the entire album [there's only CYI and SaaD I'm not overly fond of and they don't last long do they?] You never know it might just have resulted in a few more sales of the album - it wouldn't take an awful lot to DOUBLE the paltry number they reputedly shifted.

Baffling to me that they could produce something so fine and then not have the confidence to play more of it.
Chris2210

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I have the Santiago Chile DVD on a boot and it's very good. I didn't much like Talk (the album), but the tour was one of the band's best IMHO.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Yeah, slightly bizarre that they went to the trouble of engaging an orchestra and then only played Magnification and ITPO, the latter of which is not heavily orchestrated anyway. I would have liked to have hear them perform the entire album [there's only CYI and SaaD I'm not overly fond of and they don't last long do they?] You never know it might just have resulted in a few more sales of the album - it wouldn't take an awful lot to DOUBLE the paltry number they reputedly shifted.

Baffling to me that they could produce something so fine and then not have the confidence to play more of it.

My thoughts too . . . I would have expected most, if not all, of the Mag album on that tour. Dreamtime would have been awesome!
tardistraveler

Return to Into the Lens