Is it just me...

Is it just me...

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:29 am

...or does everybody here not want to do this. This part of the forum has practically been dead for a little while. Any suggestions?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby cary » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:34 pm

Nope, it's not just you.

What this needs, is for someone to lay the ground work so that others can build upon it.

I would be totally willing to mix and lead this project. I can play any of the instruments, but don't need to. I'd be happy to just mix if necessary.

We need:

1. the song
2. a bed track for the others to build on.

With regard to the song, I lean to the older stuff myself, pre Rabin. That's just me though. Anything between Fragile all the way to Drama would suffice.

Discuss... again :)
cary

Postby cary » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:19 pm

I’ll add more.<O :p </O :p

After reading through the last year of history on this, I believe we can’t even decide on a tune.
<O :p </O :p
From an engineer’s perspective, the song cannot be picked simply because you like it. We need to be able to record it. There was a lot of discussion on ‘To be Over’. That song is beautiful, and I think it can be done, but it’s not going to be the easiest thing to get tight. The guitar part (and solo) would need to be nailed before any other stuff was put down. Who here owns a pedal steel? I really think a more structured song with solid tempo would be easier to do. I could list many and my just pick one and see if others want to join in.<O :p </O :p

To make this work, who ever is planning to contribute parts must be familier with online collaboration and recording. There are methods which need to be followed in order for the parts to line up when it comes time to mix. I have been doing this sort of collaboration for years. It works fine.
Once a song is picked, a bed track (essentially, a scratch track) needs to be developed. It could be a simple guitar / keyboard and vocal. If there are any places where there are instrumental breaks without drums, a click or something must be audible so the instruments can know when to resume playing. A long rest without a reference (click) is going to be very hard to record to.<O :p </O :p

Once a solid drums and bass track is built upon the scratch track, the rest will be easy.
cary

Return to YEStalk Virtual Band