Next song, please!



Next should be...

Poll ended at Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:54 am

To Be Over
0
No votes
Changes
1
8%
And You And I
5
38%
Long Distance Runaround
0
No votes
South Side Of The Sky
6
46%
Mind Drive
1
8%
Roundabout
0
No votes
I've Seen All Good People
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 13

we need a singer

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:01 pm

Who's gonna be a the lead singer? I'd like to give it a shot. I don't have the big range that Jon has, but I believe I can sing this one.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Wood, Pennsylvania

Postby nes » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:22 pm

hmm. I'd love to participate...

I do play guitar, and can play a good bunch of the tracks you listed...

<label for="cb_optionnumber_3">And You And I</label>
<label for="cb_optionnumber_4">Long Distance Runaround</label>
<label for="cb_optionnumber_5">South Side Of The Sky</label>
<label for="cb_optionnumber_7">Roundabout</label>

I can play most of All good people, all of roundabout, all of and you and I (but I don't have a 12 string), all of LDR (through fish a'swell), and I was playing 'round with SSOTS the other day after hearing it on a boot for the first time in months and figured out most of it.

So, If I can get the chance to do any recording on my new Steve Howe Sig '175 that's being shipped to my local music store (via special order) right now, I will get right to it if you wish...

Ooh, and I voted South Side of the Sky (I would've voted To Be Over, but I don't have a lap steel (or is he playing a pedal steel?) or AYAI, but as I said, I don't have a 12 string...)
nes

Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:21 am

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:13 pm

I can handle the acoustic parts for And You And I and most of the vocal parts as well. If we have enough interest maybe we can break into 2 different projects and do 2 songs.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

And You and I

Postby Klatu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:59 pm

I'd love to do the keys!
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:43 am

Okay. We've got keyboards, 12-string acoustic guitar and vocals. We still need drums, bass, electric and steel guitar, unless I missed some posts. I think I can play the triangle part if need be too! :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby IngnoZac » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:20 am

Guitars here!! \o/

Renato
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it
Remember only the verse, songmaker`s cry, the one without tears
For I`ve given this its strength and it has become my only strength.
IngnoZac

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2502
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil.

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Terry Shea wrote:I can handle the acoustic parts for And You And I and most of the vocal parts as well. If we have enough interest maybe we can break into 2 different projects and do 2 songs.
Here's an idea that may be a little nuts...and then again maybe not. This idea kind of expounds on my previous comment. What if we were to do our own Yes tribute album with different line-ups working on different songs. That way we could involve more people and let most everyone work on the songs or songs that they really want to do. This could help alleviate the problem of having too many guitarists or other instrumentalists working on one particular track. Now to do this, we may need some people to participate on most if not all of the songs if the demand for a particular instrument exceeds the supply (sorry about the economic reference). It just seems to me like we have a lot of guitarists and vocalists who want to participate and fewer of some of the other instruments. Those who may not be so musically inclined may want to get involved designing the CD graphics, etc. I think this concept could be workable. What do you think?
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

But can we ever get it together?

Postby Klatu » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:07 am

I'm all for the idea of working on several songs in order to include as many musicians as possible, but I'm a little dubious that we can all 'get it together' enough to ever accomplish it.
I responded to a request for keyboards on a Roundabout track several months ago and it has gone nowhere. There also doesn't seem to be much movement on the And You and I cut. What's the holdup?
What we really need is someone with good techncal knowledge about the file sharing that's necessary to do this as well as a good mixing ability. Most of all we need someone with enough interest to follow through organizing the effort.
I would volunteer but I don't have any mixing skills and don't know the best way to do this technically. Just a keyboard player I'm afraid.
I'll be happy to help any way I can.
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby cary » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:36 pm

Klatu wrote:I'm all for the idea of working on several songs in order to include as many musicians as possible, but I'm a little dubious that we can all 'get it together' enough to ever accomplish it.
I responded to a request for keyboards on a Roundabout track several months ago and it has gone nowhere. There also doesn't seem to be much movement on the And You and I cut. What's the holdup?
What we really need is someone with good techncal knowledge about the file sharing that's necessary to do this as well as a good mixing ability. Most of all we need someone with enough interest to follow through organizing the effort.
I would volunteer but I don't have any mixing skills and don't know the best way to do this technically. Just a keyboard player I'm afraid.
I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Wow… interesting.
<O :p </O :p

I have to agree with you – a major miracle needs to occur.<O :p </O :p
</O :p
Last year, I had made several posts regarding getting something started. My main interest is the engineering end (mixing / mastering) and I offered to play guitar if needed. I thought this was finally going to happen when our drummer friend was all fired up to do roundabout. Once I told him I wasn’t going to provide guitar tracks for someone else to mix, he wasn’t willing to work with me.<O :p </O :p </O :p

I do understand the technical aspects of collaborating via the internet and what you need is a solid bed track to start, preferably, drums. Everyone here wants to play and that’s good. Once you get someone who is willing to provide the foundation for others to build on, then it can go from there.
cary

Active Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:23 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby Klatu » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:28 am

cary wrote:Wow… interesting.
<O :p </O :p

I have to agree with you – a major miracle needs to occur.<O :p </O :p
</O :p
. . . what you need is a solid bed track to start, preferably, drums. Everyone here wants to play and that’s good. Once you get someone who is willing to provide the foundation for others to build on, then it can go from there.


I would agree that USUALLY a drum track is a good beginning, but the drums in AND YOU AND I for example, don't come in for quite some time. A guitar part would be needed first up to the time that the drums come in.
Another way of moving forward would be to agree to use a specific version (studio, for example) and play to it keeping it separated on a track that the engineer could use to sync them up. I don't know if CD players are exact enough though for it all to end up syncing up.
Any suggestions?
This also unfortunately limits the music to the same exact time frame as the original.
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:01 am

Klatu wrote:I would agree that USUALLY a drum track is a good beginning, but the drums in AND YOU AND I for example, don't come in for quite some time. A guitar part would be needed first up to the time that the drums come in.
Another way of moving forward would be to agree to use a specific version (studio, for example) and play to it keeping it separated on a track that the engineer could use to sync them up. I don't know if CD players are exact enough though for it all to end up syncing up.
Any suggestions?
This also unfortunately limits the music to the same exact time frame as the original.

I can get the opening guitar track done shortly. I'd do it now but my 12-string needs a little work. Actually, it probably won't make any difference on the opening track so I'll try to get it done early on next week and then take it in to the tech to get it worked on. I've got some cool riffs worked out for the middle section. I still need to work on the ending. I'm trying to play pretty much what Steve's playing at the end, but with a 12-string guitar you hear all kinds of tones at once so it's difficult to figure out exactly what he's playing and I can't seem to find an accurate tab anywhere. I've found some lines to play there that will work though. I've found MSN Messenger is a good way to send WAV files, at least if you have a high speed connection. Otherwise that may be a bit of a problem.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Sat May 07, 2005 11:13 pm

Klatu wrote:I would agree that USUALLY a drum track is a good beginning, but the drums in AND YOU AND I for example, don't come in for quite some time. A guitar part would be needed first up to the time that the drums come in.
Another way of moving forward would be to agree to use a specific version (studio, for example) and play to it keeping it separated on a track that the engineer could use to sync them up. I don't know if CD players are exact enough though for it all to end up syncing up.
Any suggestions?
This also unfortunately limits the music to the same exact time frame as the original.

There is a major problem with trying to play along with the studio recording on And You And I. The speed of the recording (and thereby the pitch as well) seems to change at the 2nd intro (The Preacher The Teacher). I can play 12-string along with the recording and it sounds pretty much in tune up until that section...then suddenly every note seems to be about a quarter step off, at least through the acoustic portion of the section. Then it seems to be back in tune for the conclusion. It's really weird too because I can't detect any audible increase or decrease in tempo or any apparent pitch shifts, although there are several key changes so it's probably done at the beginning of the key change so as to mask it. At any rate, I can get through the first section (Cord Of Life) by playing along with the recording and there really isn't any 12-string in the Eclipse section. I think this song will have to be done in sections anyway just because that's pretty much how it's laid out. The tricky part will be bringing in the other instruments during The Preacher The Teacher. I guess I'll have to do some kind of click track to play to but that won't be easy either because of all the rhythm changes.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

A possible approach

Postby Klatu » Mon May 09, 2005 11:47 pm

Terry Shea wrote:There is a major problem with trying to play along with the studio recording on And You And I. The speed of the recording (and thereby the pitch as well) seems to change at the 2nd intro (The Preacher The Teacher). I can play 12-string along with the recording and it sounds pretty much in tune up until that section...then suddenly every note seems to be about a quarter step off, at least through the acoustic portion of the section. Then it seems to be back in tune for the conclusion. It's really weird too because I can't detect any audible increase or decrease in tempo or any apparent pitch shifts, although there are several key changes so it's probably done at the beginning of the key change so as to mask it. At any rate, I can get through the first section (Cord Of Life) by playing along with the recording and there really isn't any 12-string in the Eclipse section. I think this song will have to be done in sections anyway just because that's pretty much how it's laid out. The tricky part will be bringing in the other instruments during The Preacher The Teacher. I guess I'll have to do some kind of click track to play to but that won't be easy either because of all the rhythm changes.


O.K.
How would you feel about doing a 'rough' guitar recording along with a click track. If you produced a rough version mixed together with a click track (for each individual section), that would give the other players something to sync up to. Then the individual instruments could be played to that (but recorded separately) and sent back to you for remixing.
Maybe the first few measures of the click track could remain on the instrument recordings in order for you to sync them up. I would suggest leaving the click track on one side of a stereo recording, but I really want to produce full stereo mixes of all of the keyboard parts that I record.
I'm open to suggestions.
-Steve
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 pm

Klatu wrote:O.K.
How would you feel about doing a 'rough' guitar recording along with a click track. If you produced a rough version mixed together with a click track (for each individual section), that would give the other players something to sync up to. Then the individual instruments could be played to that (but recorded separately) and sent back to you for remixing.
Maybe the first few measures of the click track could remain on the instrument recordings in order for you to sync them up. I would suggest leaving the click track on one side of a stereo recording, but I really want to produce full stereo mixes of all of the keyboard parts that I record.
I'm open to suggestions.
-Steve

I'll try to get started on it next week. I just brought my 12-string to the shop today-it needs quite a bit of work done, but I should be able to get started on it on Monday (hopefully). I think it would be best if I just played along with the recording for the Cord Of Life section, that part won't be a problem. I'll play the opening harmonics close to what Steve is playing and then I'll just play along with the recording after the opening solo. I won't play exactly what Steve is playing during the verse, but the timing will be the same so it should be easy to sync up to it. Someone else will have to lead the project through Eclipse since there isn't any (audible) acoustic guitar in it. I could probably strum chords to it except as already stated, the recording is so out of tune with my guitars I can't even figure out what's going on there so I think it would be best not to play any acoustic guitar during Eclipse, just like it is on the recording. I'd probably have to lead the project through The Preacher The Teacher and The Apocalypse too, but once again the acoustic guitar cuts out midway through The Preacher The Teacher so someone else will have to drive it the rest of the way. I think the best way to approach it though is a section at a time, so I guess we don't have to worry about The Preacher The Teacher until we get there. :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby IngnoZac » Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 am

so... isnt South Side on the top? :S
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it
Remember only the verse, songmaker`s cry, the one without tears
For I`ve given this its strength and it has become my only strength.
IngnoZac

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2502
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil.

Postby Klatu » Tue May 31, 2005 9:17 pm

Terry Shea wrote:I'll try to get started on it next week. I just brought my 12-string to the shop today-it needs quite a bit of work done, but I should be able to get started on it on Monday (hopefully). I think it would be best if I just played along with the recording for the Cord Of Life section, that part won't be a problem. I'll play the opening harmonics close to what Steve is playing and then I'll just play along with the recording after the opening solo. I won't play exactly what Steve is playing during the verse, but the timing will be the same so it should be easy to sync up to it. Someone else will have to lead the project through Eclipse since there isn't any (audible) acoustic guitar in it. I could probably strum chords to it except as already stated, the recording is so out of tune with my guitars I can't even figure out what's going on there so I think it would be best not to play any acoustic guitar during Eclipse, just like it is on the recording. I'd probably have to lead the project through The Preacher The Teacher and The Apocalypse too, but once again the acoustic guitar cuts out midway through The Preacher The Teacher so someone else will have to drive it the rest of the way. I think the best way to approach it though is a section at a time, so I guess we don't have to worry about The Preacher The Teacher until we get there. :)


Terry,
Have you had any progress? I know it can't be easy. I'm just anxous to do some work on it. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help get started.
-Steve W.
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:10 am

Klatu wrote:Terry,
Have you had any progress? I know it can't be easy. I'm just anxous to do some work on it. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help get started.
-Steve W.

Yeah, I should have it finished by the end of the week. It's basically done (Chord Of Life) it just needs a little touching up and I need to redo the last few lines. The line Steve plays to "And You And I reach out..." is really a problem for me. For some reason I can't quite figure out what that last chord is before the guitar drops out and the rest of the line goes a capella. I've checked Ed's tab and a yes songbook and neither one are accurate there. I guess I'm not the only one who can't figure it out. I'll put something there but it's probably going to be an individual note or an octave. Some of the transitions sound a little funny too, but I think they'll be okay after the other instruments are added. The only other real problem I'm having is trying to get the harmonic section to not have such a heavy pick sound to it. I had to strike the strings a lot harder than I wanted to to make them audible. I added some reverb and it seems to have helped somewhat so maybe it will be okay.

Sorry this is taking longer than I thought it would. I thought I could breeze through it one sitting but that hasn't been the case. I've been very busy at work the last few weeks and it seems like when I do get time to work on it I'm usually too tired. I may be able to finish it tomorrow as I only have to work 8 hours tomorrow.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby Klatu » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Terry Shea wrote:Yeah, I should have it finished by the end of the week. It's basically done (Chord Of Life) it just needs a little touching up and I need to redo the last few lines. The line Steve plays to "And You And I reach out..." is really a problem for me. For some reason I can't quite figure out what that last chord is before the guitar drops out and the rest of the line goes a capella. I've checked Ed's tab and a yes songbook and neither one are accurate there. I guess I'm not the only one who can't figure it out. I'll put something there but it's probably going to be an individual note or an octave. Some of the transitions sound a little funny too, but I think they'll be okay after the other instruments are added. The only other real problem I'm having is trying to get the harmonic section to not have such a heavy pick sound to it. I had to strike the strings a lot harder than I wanted to to make them audible. I added some reverb and it seems to have helped somewhat so maybe it will be okay.

Sorry this is taking longer than I thought it would. I thought I could breeze through it one sitting but that hasn't been the case. I've been very busy at work the last few weeks and it seems like when I do get time to work on it I'm usually too tired. I may be able to finish it tomorrow as I only have to work 8 hours tomorrow.


Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not meaning to rush you, I was just wondering how it was going. Although my theory isn't good enough to tell you the proper name of that chord you're looking for, I believe the individual notes (bottom to top) are: E G A D
Cheers!
-Steve
Klatu

Active Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:31 am
Location: USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Klatu wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not meaning to rush you, I was just wondering how it was going. Although my theory isn't good enough to tell you the proper name of that chord you're looking for, I believe the individual notes (bottom to top) are: E G A D
Cheers!
-Steve

That would be 4 open strings. I'm looking at some combination of E, D flat and A flat but I can't quite get the intervals to sound right. That's the problem with listening to 12-string guitar-the octave strings can really throw you for a loop. It sounds like he plays the same chord twice and adds a bass note the second time (or maybe changes the original bass note) but no matter what I do to the interval it just doesn't quite sound right. But I do have something there that seems to work and I didn't really duplicate verbatim anything Steve played in that section anyway so perhaps it's just as well. I'm going to redo the opening harmonics and perhaps another section as well along with trying to make better transitions from one section to the next. It's a little difficult to sort out the transitions because the acoustic will be playing by itself one moment and buried in the mix the next, so I guess in the long run the transitions aren't that important as long as the guitar still gets buried in the mix in the same places, but they sound a little funny w/o the other instrument there now. I almost wonder if that's why the guitar is buried in the mix in those places.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:33 pm

Klatu wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not meaning to rush you, I was just wondering how it was going. Although my theory isn't good enough to tell you the proper name of that chord you're looking for, I believe the individual notes (bottom to top) are: E G A D
Cheers!
-Steve

Oh, I think you're talking about the very last chord in that section. Yes, that one is E,G and D. I was referring to the two chords before that.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Postby Terry Shea » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 pm

Klatu wrote:Terry,
Have you had any progress? I know it can't be easy. I'm just anxous to do some work on it. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help get started.
-Steve W.

Please check your private messages Steve. I've finished Cord Of Life and would like to send it on to you. Thank you.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Still need drums, bass, electric and steel guitar

Postby Terry Shea » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 pm

We've got the acoustic guitar and keyboard parts for the Cord Of Life section of And You And I nearly finished. We still need the other instruments. Actually we just need drums and bass for this secton.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA.

Previous

Return to YEStalk Virtual Band

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron