[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Same-Sex "UNIONS"

Same-Sex "UNIONS"

Postby ANDERSONG » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:27 am

I continually find myself thankful that I live in a country like Canada. This just happened today:

Those of you who are full of love a hope for all the different people around us, you are the ones truly blessed.
ANDERSONG

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:08 am

That's good news, Andersong! At least you guys have it somewhat easier than us. I hope it gets legalized everywhere else just as with the other places. Hopefully, one day America will see that gay marriages are not a bad concept and people grow to tolerate it, but unfortunately I'm saddened to think it just won't happen as long as Bush is still in office. We need a new president. I love my country, I just don't love our president, but that's just my opinion. Anyways, glad to hear your country is starting to come around a little bit on this "issue."
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:12 am

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

More Bush Bashing..Time to lock the thread!

Postby BE » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:56 am

BE

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:20 am

I wasn't bashing him at all. I think you misunderstood. I know that gays are the minority and everything, but it seems to me that you're bashing homosexuals. I know they are a minority. There are a lot of minorites in this country and in this world, but you just have to deal with them. They will never go away. They're not trying to push their lifestyle on us, it's just that tons of people finally started tolerating these people and stopped being so closed-minded and treating these people the way they deserve to be treated, like a human being. I'm sorry these people are not perfect. Nobody is normal. It helps to remember that. Nobody will ever be normal. Normal doesn't exist. Get used to it.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:24 am

And furthermore, I don't see why this thread needs to be locked. This is nowhere near as extreme as the "No President Left Behind" thread. It's not extreme at all. I know we all have our views on things. It's something we have to deal with, even if we don't agree with it. Nobody will ever agree, plain and simple. I have respect for people and their views, but I just don't like it when people blow them way out of proportion.

Why can't gay people be free?!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Well, I used to be a homophobe . .

Postby theproffet » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:37 am

"You like your life in a free form style, you'll take an inch, but you'd love a mile . . ."
theproffet

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:40 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby ycantibu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:57 pm

you can't drink on an eight hour flight, pass out, and then go onstage...well you can, but then you're spandau ballet. - robert smith of the cure
ycantibu

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:00 am

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:45 am

yesireebob

This thread.

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:54 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Roan's Lady » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:34 pm

In my opinion, some comments are so ridiculously ignorant that they are not worth responding to - energy-wasting on people whose views really don't warrant my energy in responding. I've got enough to do and deal with in my life off of this computer.
I know people have different takes on this. Eric, I thought you made a lot of very good points in your posts here without coming out to attack anyone personally. Maybe you see that as restraint - but I think that it elevates you above those who are quick to judge, insult, and otherwise offend.
And there will always be those people that, no matter what, cannot be convinced of anything different that what they believe. This in itself often isn't a problem. But if they can't at least acknowledge and respect other points of view, then any attempt at reasonable discussion with them is like talking to a block of cement. Futile!

Roan's Lady

You know what I was just thinking about?

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:47 pm

Republicans are on this big moral values, pro-war, anti-homosexual kick right now. Perhaps you guys should be reminded of the Pledge Of Allegiance.

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Do you see that? INDIVISIBLE. We're all in this together. We are a nation of blacks, jews, homosexuals, whites, indian, european, etc. We are a nation. Nobody is above or below anybody. No matter how small the minority of people, that group is still equal to everybody else that resides in this country. Sure, it is a democracy and majority does rule, but why does the majority want to divide us further? Liberty and justice for all!
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:33 am

I've always wondered that myself, Eric. Some people just don't get it, sadly enough. Indivisible, that's the way it should be. I just wish some people could wake up and smell the coffee.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:19 am

yesireebob

Postby ImstillYesmam » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:31 am

ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:33 am

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby CoinsAndCrosses » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:20 am

"Imperial battleship... stop the flow of time!" - The Emperor of the First Circle of the Universe -Starcrash (1979)
CoinsAndCrosses

Postby CoinsAndCrosses » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:59 am

[quote="tardistraveler"]Not that I'm advocating bestiality, but it struck me that this is the same argument that some use against GAY marriage - "everyone knows that you can't marry your own sex . . ." et al . . .

I can understand legal restrictions against marrying people who are close relatives, due to the risk of genetic malformations in the children. But, I'm sure there ARE people out there who fool around with their family, whether it's legally sanctioned or not. Ditto animals.

If gay unions are sanctioned, does that open another can of worms? What about multiple-partner relationships?[quote]

I believe the "can of worms" thing is why a lot of people are against gay marriage. I've read comments on this thread about how we shoudn' t tell people who they can love etc and that gay people just want the same marriage rights/benefits etc that straight people have. But not restricting marriage to one man, one women will open a huge can of worms for our legal system. It will definitely be a field day for lawyers. If you say one gay man can marry another gay man because they love each other then what argument can you use to say two brothers can't marry each other. Who even says two men must be gay to marry each other? Who says a father can't marry his own daughter, they really could love each other couldn't they? Who even says love must be involved for marriage to occur? What argument is there against one man simultaneously marrying two, three or any number of women? Who says three men can't be married to six women? Or any combination of men, women, relatives, ages etc. Some will say relatives can't marry each other because they could have genetically malformed children. Who says that having children is a requirement of marriage? A lot of groups have watched the debate over gay marriage with interest knowing that it could indeed give them the foot in the door, so to speak, that they need to promote/legitimize their lifestyle choices. NAMBLA(North American Man/Boy Love Association), polygamist groups,those in polyamorous groups and others. Many of the legal barriers that keep these groups on the fringe of society will be demolished if gay marriage is legalized. I think this was in the back of minds of many voters this election. Is heterosexual divorce rampant? Sadly, yes. But, many still believe that marriage consisting of one man and one women is still the best standard for society and they'll vote against any threat, real or perceived, that challenges it.
I don't see how a state or country that says two gay men can marry can put restrictions on the marriage of say two sisters, a father and a son, an uncle and a niece, four men and seven women, one woman and seven men etc. Would we not be making moral choices for these people and restricting who they can love/marry etc. It would seem that if gay marriage is approved then wouldn't it be equally wrong to put other limitations on marriage... just playing devil's advocate here.
I just think this would create chaos across the board...chris
"Imperial battleship... stop the flow of time!" - The Emperor of the First Circle of the Universe -Starcrash (1979)
CoinsAndCrosses

Postby Roan's Lady » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:34 pm

Roan's Lady

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:31 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:00 am

It is not just a matter of who you have sex with; it is a question of identity. People are born SEXUAL and can have sex with darn near anything that moves under the right circumstances, whether straight or gay. However, that does not resolve the issue of sexual identity, which I believe is inborn. Growing up, we had family friends whose youngest son was never like his brothers; since babyhood, he always gravitated toward the girl stuff, his friends were girls, and when he came out as an adult, no one was surpised. His parents were not pleased, but they could not deny what they already knew to true his whole life. I know gay men who tried having heterosexual relationships, even marriage with kids, in an effort to fit in with family/religious expectations. But in the end, to quote Popeye, they have to say "I yam what I yam." It's not like choosing a career, which you are later free to abandon if the going gets too tough. You cannot change or run from who are are. It is not a choice. Just because someone is capable of heterosexual sex does not make them a heterosexual, anymore than someone who experiments with homosexual sex is ipso facto a homosexual. And I have always found it fascinating how otherwise vehemently homophobic men are nonetheless very turned on by two women getting it on. A rather constant theme in men's magazine and porno films, in fact. Hmm. So homosexual sex is ok for the tittilation of heterosexuals, but not between consenting homosexual adults? And I emphasize adults, because clearly, sex with children is just wrong no matter what your orientation. And it is demeaning to lump homosexuality in with pedophilia, bestiality, or any number of predatory sexual disorders that have nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the perpetrator. Historically, homosexuality has been with us as long as marriage between men and women. It is about time that it be recognized as being just as legitimate. And to say that marriage is only for procreation is silly; people who are infertile or are too old to have children get married all the time.
yesireebob

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Some thoughts and responses:

Postby BE » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:25 pm

BE

Veteran Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:32 am

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:32 am