Yestalk Theology Spillover #10,001

Yestalk Theology Spillover #10,001

Postby yesman90125 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 pm

As time has gone on we've had many theological debates, and we've had some laughs at religions and all the different practices people have.
I dont have a postion to be talking about but I thought it was time for a new thread for it.
So; what you think, what you see , what you think is interesting or funny in terms of religion, theology, superstition etc..
here's a new thread to post it

Now , Isn't that special?
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Re: Yestalk Theology Spillover #10,001

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 pm

All spirituality is good, all religion is junk.

Just want to see the pigeons scatter.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

I presume this thread can carry on where the "Holy Roller" thread left off . . . ;)

Thanks! :)
tardistraveler

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:13 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I presume this thread can carry on where the "Holy Roller" thread left off . . . ;)

Thanks! :)

yeah that's what I was thinking
time to get fresh
700 posts and 10,000 views and however many years seems like enough.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:15 pm

I hesitate to enter this thread, but it ain't as dangerous as politics at present.

I wanted to see Religilous, but it isn't showing at my local. W was pretty good. It had a bit of religion in it.

As far as religion/life philosophy goes, I think I am essentially a Darwinist, which isn't a religion of course, --I believe in the Theory of Evolution, and think religion is just a manmade philo construct, an element of political control.

I have been thru the born again scene, and left it.

I am not an atheist but basically a free thinker on religion and spirit matters.

The human animal just tried to become a god, but as history has shown, has failed miserably
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby NumberNine » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 am

religion is ok as long as

1. people are not told "your religion is better than another"
2. people are told by other people you will not come to heaven if you do/or not do this or that
3. people are forbidden to enjoy their lifes in the name of god
4. people make a deal in the name of god and earn money
5. people do not fight because of religion
6. it respects the individuality of everyone of us

you can go on counting ...
NumberNine

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:30 am

I guess whenever you start saying this is the only way then you lose me.
I see value to all religion and falt in all doctrine and dogma.
I speant most of my life as as agnostic
but I like Chris'(2210) Sig line-now I'm not sure
I've had life experiences that make me feel at the very least there is more going on then we are aware.
Evolution , while a theory, is fairly widely excepted because examples of it's likelyhood are available. Although Evolution doesn't exclude intelligent design.
Intelligent people, I dont think can dismiss religion or some kind of a God concept as impossible.
As a Child I may have had a vision of the Kindly old Gandalf figure in the sky. That has evolved for me in what I can only describe as a direct experience of the "divine".
so after that direct experience I have doubts about my Agnostic stance.
But as far as what IT is or What it does. I think that actually may be subjective. One can wonder about Re-incarnation and after life and all such as that. But the thing that seems to be my focus now is what is truth. There seems to be some truth in a "Higher Power". though my explanation of my personal experience would likely be seen as some sort of halucinatory experience. what it's done for me is given me a place of perspective of a larger sense of something going on. And a wierd kind of happiness that makes me feel mostly pretty peacefull.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:58 am

No, it can be a distinct thread. Its creator would probably like to see it carried on, so we will. By adding theology and superstition ( both good topics ), you have changed the subject matter and made it much more diverse. If I do not hear from the originator of the Holy Roller's thread soon, I'll just end it. In truth, this thread belongs in the Other Skylines forum, but when it was first started, Other Skylines did not exist. So, Unless Diane would prefer to have it, I would be glad to carry on the tradition here...even if it's morphed into something different.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:29 pm

N2 - agreed that this really belongs in Other Skylines . . . I'm going to move the thread.

This thread seems to be evolving into more of a philosophical discussion of religion and spirituality. The "Holy Roller" thread was usually a bit more lighthearted, with the bizarre and unusual things highlighted. As I come up with those items, I may start another thread in Other Skylines to pursue that tack further.
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Oops - I don't appear to have the power to move a thread.

N2 - if you would please, move this one to Other Skylines.
tardistraveler

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:02 pm

the other one was all over the place too
I figure we can post anything from Philosiphy to satire on the general topic of religion and dogma and humor or whatever-it's all good.... or god
or something

seems your having trouble with your super secret magic thred moving powers

I dropped it here because it was where the other Holy Rollers thing was.
My Bad
Kill The Messenger

Ed made a joke a while back when we hit Yestalk spillover #3 that in 20 years all the same people would still be here having the same conversation in YesTalk Theology spillover #XXXXXXX my title was a play on that joke.
I spose I could have called it Holy Crap?
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 am

Chris, you've done nothing but come up with a notable thread. It is my hope that this thread will gain as much popularity as that one did. I personally think this is a marvelous idea. I am going to move it, but wish to give Jeffrae ( remember him? ) one last chance to respond to his 'creation'. I don't think he will as he has been so transient of late. Diane, this one is yours as of Saturday. Good to see you spotted this. Soon it will be all yours. It has great potential, IMHO.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Watched that Jim Jones Jonestown thing last night.

I think that sums up my attitude to organized religion
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:01 pm

so, message: be wary of Lutherans bearing Kool Aide?????
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Watched that Jim Jones Jonestown thing last night.

I think that sums up my attitude to organized religion

And therein lies the problem. You can't simply take an ungodly cult that violates everything a certain religion stands for and pass it off as being a bona fide religion. You can't simply lump all religions together and condemn them all simply because you may find a particular religion (or even most religions) to be bad or distasteful. To pigeonhole all religions like that is showing extreme prejudice, akin to practicing racism.

These threads have turned into nothing but Christian (along with other religion) bashing in the past. I found them to be very offensive and very blasphemous. There's nothing funny about mocking a person's religion, and absolutely no reason to ever do so. And it seems to me the guilty parties here are usually those who claim to be "liberal" and preach "tolerance". Hypocrites!

We're all adults here. I would certainly think you could all find a better way to amuse yourselves than by mocking people's religious beliefs and offending people.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 am

I think that if the bible taught one word, love, that would cover everything else. With true love in your heart comes Patience, understanding, respect, goodwill, on and on and on. I drove a church bus for seven years, picking up the most incredible kids you would ever want to meet. It was sad to think that the reason there parents sent them, is to get rid of them. But what ever, I knew I was driving them to a place of fun, understanding and love. Churches, religions and such have there problems like every one else. I cant think of one organization, that some radical group coulnt pick apart and look bad. Im not Catholic, but I cant stand when the slime of the earth people like Bill Moore tear them up for there faults, when they have done SO much good in the world. By the way Im not Catholic, Im just a beleiver. I can think of much worse things to spend your time doing. Our morals are being torn down day by day, and now the masses have found they can vote themselve wealth from the government. We are thinking to much of ourselves, and not of others
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:56 am

It's hard to say really. I dont want to offend anyone. It does seem if you pick apart some of the religious dogma and much of the literal meaning of "The Bible" some of that stuff gets a little wierd.
People should be free to express what they think about these religions in a free society
Those who support the institutions should have every right to defend their positions.
I do also get the point that we,as a society are pretty thin skinned on most subjects and far too easily offended.
So when people look to be offensive they often look to Christianity or Traditional thinking or white Europeans as the target.
Some of that get's out of line as much as anything. On the internet, I notice an especially negative tone towards Christianity, traditional thinking and White europeans. I understand they are groups with a pretty good record of doing some horrific things. But they do get demonized a bit more than I feel is appropriate at times.
Some times a good Joke can go too far and be offensive. Often I doubt people mean to be offensive .
On the flip side everyone is a bit oversensative about Religion, Politics, Sex and sports.
People seem to just be looking for trouble in some cases when they say things.
I think it's a bit of an anti -establishment streak that runs through
Fans of Rock Music and Younger people in general.
Some of the questioning is healthy. But sometimes it turns out that things that are "establishment" are that way for a good reason.
I wish it could all boil down to everything being about LOVE but people tend to be hiding their Love and showing how mean they can be a good bit of the time. With no real point that I can see.
In many ways the human race is still on the Playground.
We dont seem to be in too big of a hurry to grow up.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:06 am

I dont think talking about things are bad, and as grownups we should be able to sort it. I have had some of the most increadible face to face yelling matchs where the F word is used liberaly, and then stop and say, ya hungry, yeah lets get a beer. My God, if the heat is too hot, STAY the heck out of the kitchen. I just dont like it when people say things to intentionally hurt people. I have had people tell me that Im being a stupid idiot, but I know its not being said to hurt me.
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:19 am

2Lizard4 wrote:I dont think talking about things are bad, and as grownups we should be able to sort it. I have had some of the most increadible face to face yelling matchs where the F word is used liberaly, and then stop and say, ya hungry, yeah lets get a beer. My God, if the heat is too hot, STAY the heck out of the kitchen. I just dont like it when people say things to intentionally hurt people. I have had people tell me that Im being a stupid idiot, but I know its not being said to hurt me.

Yeah it is. There was no other purpose for these threads. They were intended to belittle our long held beliefs and mock and scorn anyone who takes their religion seriously. I doubt that was Yesman's intention when he started this thread, but that's exactly how the other threads turned out. And his opening statement was:

"As time has gone on we've had many theological debates, and we've had some laughs at religions and all the different practices people have."

Yup, it's just like racism. They Mock and laugh at what they perceive to be different and don't understand. It's all ignorance and prejudice. There is absolutely no positive reason for such threads.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 am

I know this may sound corny, but didnt jesus look past things and take people for what they are, un perfect, the whole reason he was here is because we can not. I am with you, I can not believe yesman started this to hurt other people, infact I think yesman is a little twisted and not right in the head, I think you should be easy on that poor challanged confused man. But the way the thread has gone is just the way it is, and you have the right to come and stand up for our God, as he would want you too. And do as I do, pray for yesman, the poor ol sod.
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:41 am

Yesman:

* goes to sit in the Yescorner*
until his name is called by teacher

if my first post starting the thread was mistaken TERRY then I hope my previous post clears up the mistake
if not feel free to browse the Yestalk vaults for Yestalk theology Spillover #1
where I have written in length about my beliefs and SUPPORT of Religion!!!
Though I will admit I find my Truths in Krishna but that doesn't exclude Jesus
nor would I suggest that
what I poke fun at is some of the rather unstable ways in which people sometimes express their beliefs. not exclusivly Christianity
as was noted there is a "Church Of Spongebob" and a "church Of Peter Gabriel" and all kinds of whacked out things that people seem to believe.

however if I did choose to belittle your worship of Jesus I reserve my right to do so (which I dont) and I support your right to be offended
and be pissed if I were to mock your "God". while exercising my right to piss you off.

ok now I'm off to the corner.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:46 am

I think this thread certainly has a place on the board. Opinions and free expression are all covered by the First Amendment the last time I checked. Just like politics, as long it does not devolve into personal attacks it can be an interesting and engaging topic. Anyone who finds it offensive can certainly choose not to view or participate.
yesireebob

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:24 am

I cant help myself
so I cant stay in the corner
but I will tell you in brief what I think about the subject of "GOD":

"When we see the beauty of our own being we are seeing the beauty of the Being that is the One of which we are all a part. And when we turn towards that One, love is the natural reaction of the heart.

God is an endless ocean of love truth and presence. First we may hear the distant roar of the crashing waves of the ocean and we're drawn to that sound. As we get closer, we can smell the ocean air and taste the sweet moisture. When we reach the beach and see the ocean for the first time, we're transfixed by the vastness and Beauty. We run and we dive in and enjoy the freedom that comes from this ecstasy. Finally we merge with that ocean of love and somehow find ourselves back on the shore, returning to ourselves so that we can share the experience with others.

Those that have returned have given us these Names of "God". These Names are the sound of the surf of that Ocean of Love. They hold the power to help us find our way back to that ocean. We don't have to create anything; we don't have to manufacture any emotions or feelings. We can't make it happen. It already is. All we have to do is Remember. Everyone has their own path to this beach, to the Ocean, but we all wind up in the same place. There is only one...One. "
~Krishna Das

'And when he sees me in all and sees all in me,
Then I never leave him and he never leaves me.
And he, who in this oneness of love
Loves me in whatever he sees,
Wherever this man may live,
In truth, he lives in me...'
~Lord Krishna
Bhagavad Gita, VI:30,31
</TEXTFORMAT>
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:50 am

I love little baby ducks, driving pikup trucks
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 am

yesman90125 wrote:I cant help myself
so I cant stay in the corner
but I will tell you in brief what I think about the subject of "GOD":

"When we see the beauty of our own being we are seeing the beauty of the Being that is the One of which we are all a part. And when we turn towards that One, love is the natural reaction of the heart.

God is an endless ocean of love truth and presence. First we may hear the distant roar of the crashing waves of the ocean and we're drawn to that sound. As we get closer, we can smell the ocean air and taste the sweet moisture. When we reach the beach and see the ocean for the first time, we're transfixed by the vastness and Beauty. We run and we dive in and enjoy the freedom that comes from this ecstasy. Finally we merge with that ocean of love and somehow find ourselves back on the shore, returning to ourselves so that we can share the experience with others.

Those that have returned have given us these Names of "God". These Names are the sound of the surf of that Ocean of Love. They hold the power to help us find our way back to that ocean. We don't have to create anything; we don't have to manufacture any emotions or feelings. We can't make it happen. It already is. All we have to do is Remember. Everyone has their own path to this beach, to the Ocean, but we all wind up in the same place. There is only one...One. "
~Krishna Das

'And when he sees me in all and sees all in me,
Then I never leave him and he never leaves me.
And he, who in this oneness of love
Loves me in whatever he sees,
Wherever this man may live,
In truth, he lives in me...'
~Lord Krishna
Bhagavad Gita, VI:30,31
</TEXTFORMAT>

I used to be very impressed with all this kind of stuff myself. But then I think I came to the realisation that it’s all just words, opinions, myths and stories being presented as someone’s version of the truth. I no longer sit around thinking about God, religion, or the meaning of life: I just get on with my life the best I can and hope that’s good enough. I read an interesting thing once, that the root word of God, is good and I found that pretty impressive. I try to do things for the best, by my own instinct, without worrying how this may impact on my spiritual state: I’m sure I’ll find out on Judgement Day if I was right or wrong. :)
sound_chaser

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:33 pm

sound_chaser wrote:I used to be very impressed with all this kind of stuff myself. But then I think I came to the realisation that it’s all just words, opinions, myths and stories being presented as someone’s version of the truth. I no longer sit around thinking about God, religion, or the meaning of life: I just get on with my life the best I can and hope that’s good enough. I read an interesting thing once, that the root word of God, is good and I found that pretty impressive. I try to do things for the best, by my own instinct, without worrying how this may impact on my spiritual state: I’m sure I’ll find out on Judgement Day if I was right or wrong. :)

You actually are doing as the quote suggests
"We can't make it happen. It already is."
so I suggest your on the right track
C
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 pm

I just get up every morning, and try to give the best I can to the world. Some times this means my actions are not approved by all, like a child not understanding why a parent does what they.

This voice
this voice
singing as one
Nine voices
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 am

yesman90125 wrote:Yesman:

* goes to sit in the Yescorner*
until his name is called by teacher

if my first post starting the thread was mistaken TERRY then I hope my previous post clears up the mistake
if not feel free to browse the Yestalk vaults for Yestalk theology Spillover #1
where I have written in length about my beliefs and SUPPORT of Religion!!!
Though I will admit I find my Truths in Krishna but that doesn't exclude Jesus
nor would I suggest that
what I poke fun at is some of the rather unstable ways in which people sometimes express their beliefs. not exclusivly Christianity
as was noted there is a "Church Of Spongebob" and a "church Of Peter Gabriel" and all kinds of whacked out things that people seem to believe.

however if I did choose to belittle your worship of Jesus I reserve my right to do so (which I dont) and I support your right to be offended
and be pissed if I were to mock your "God". while exercising my right to piss you off.

ok now I'm off to the corner.

You see, that's just my point. I agree that there are a lot of whacked out religions, but mocking people and their beliefs isn't going to change anything...except it might make people defensive and cause them to bury themselves further into their "whacked out religion" because these "non-believers" are mocking them and showing hatred and intolerance toward their beliefs. Like I said, some of these other threads got downright nasty and I'm ashamed to say that I got caught up in the mockery of a particular religion myself (actually it was an offshoot sect of Christianity). Again, I don't think you were actually trying to start a fight here or anything, but why start a thread that will no doubt end up offending someone at some point and cause hurt feelings or worse? No matter what our beliefs are I think we all agree that we should be spreading love, not hatred and intolerance.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:46 am

I have only met 2 people in my life that have earned the hounor of being called a christian aS the dictionary defines. They held to there beliefes wheter they where are popular are not, But at the same time, I never knew them over 30 years to ever say a bad word towards anyone. Evn though there beliefs may have conflicted with the way I lived my life, I thank God every day for the lighthouse they where for me, if not for them, my life may have been different. They may not have been the most intellegent men I have know, but they have been the most secure
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 am

Terry Shea wrote:You see, that's just my point. I agree that there are a lot of whacked out religions, but mocking people and their beliefs isn't going to change anything...except it might make people defensive and cause them to bury themselves further into their "whacked out religion" because these "non-believers" are mocking them and showing hatred and intolerance toward their beliefs. Like I said, some of these other threads got downright nasty and I'm ashamed to say that I got caught up in the mockery of a particular religion myself (actually it was an offshoot sect of Christianity). Again, I don't think you were actually trying to start a fight here or anything, but why start a thread that will no doubt end up offending someone at some point and cause hurt feelings or worse? No matter what our beliefs are I think we all agree that we should be spreading love, not hatred and intolerance.

well, I'm glad you dont think I'm trying to spread hatred. Though one must admit that Politically The Western world has done exactly that to the Muslim world for some time.
it's an adult conversation. if one is offended, one can support the reasons they might be offended. or Change the channel.

your encouraging me to start a thread about Bowling or Gay Sex (or perhaps a combination of both)
just because I like it when the water is wavey
if you like calm blue oceans, then dont swim in the river.
I like things ramped up a little in a respectfull way.
this is a pretty small and respectfull group. I would imagine people will be able to play in the deep end of the sandbox and still share their toys.

Anyway my main reason was to restart the Holy rollers thread with a slightly different tone.
hopefully a more respectfull tone
off to a great start isn't it?
but that's up to the folks.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Next

Return to Other Skylines