Holy Rollers and Flying Spaghetti Monsters

Holy Rollers and Flying Spaghetti Monsters

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Starting a new thread here, in the spirit of what Jeffrae's former thread had evolved into, and not wanting to compete with the philosophical tone of Yesman's "Theology Spillover" thread.

This is a place to post the strange and bizarre, as it relates to religion.

And I'll start with this one . . . click the link to see the picture . . .

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3091297.html?menu=news.quirkies

Pensioner 'tattoos' vehicles

A Taiwanese pensioner covers every inch of his four vehicles with virtuous words from Buddhist texts.

Li Zongxiong, 71, a workshop owner, started to 'tattoo' his car, two trucks and a motorbike nine years ago.

His words virtually cover the vehicles, including the mirrors, windscreens, bodywork, doors, wheels - and even the number plates.

Li admitted his hobby had caused him trouble: "Passers-by thought I was doodling on the cars of others, and police found it hard to believe that someone would cover his own vehicle in writing," he explained.

Li, who has only an elementary school education, said most of the words were taken from Buddhist texts.

"I felt public morality was deteriorating, so I started to write some words of virtue on my vehicles," he told China News Network.

"Each day I write something down. If I spot a place where the writing has worn away, I write it again."

Li?s son, Li Jiasheng, said the family now forbids his father to buy new vehicles, since they know he will write all over them - no matter how much they cost.

But his grandson has promised that when he grows up and makes some money he will buy him a big bus to write on and indulge his hobby.

There used to be a car here in Nashville that had Christian/Jesus slogans all over it . . . this one reminded me of that. . . :)
tardistraveler

Re: Holy Rollers and Flying Spaghetti Monsters

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:31 am

I saw a guy here who tattooed his car with Mcain Palin, does that count. one thing I like about this sight are the things you learn from other people.
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Lava Lamp Shrine!

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Wonder if Nolan has had any "sightings" in his Lava Lite Lounge . . . it could be next in line for holy pilgrimages! ;)

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3161787.html?menu=news.quirkies

Mary and Jesus appear in lava lamp

An Australian man says his life has been blessed since an image of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus appeared in his lava lamp.

The man, who gives his name as John Smith of Sydney, has set up a shrine to the lava lamp in his home and on his holymarylamp.com website.

"This is a true, tangible miracle that is not just an optical illusion. It is visible in all directions and permanently frozen in this shape," he told News.com.au.

He explained on his website: "This happened about a year ago and I have kept the lamp hidden since. I now want the world to know of its existence.

"I had been going through a tough time and was paying for a sign... a divine sign from God that I was not alone and that all would work out fine," he explains on the website.

"I turned on my brand new lava lamp and watched in awe as the unmistakeable image of the Holy Mary cradling the Baby Jesus appeared. I immediately turned off the lamp and the lava has remained in this position ever since."

After the revelation of the lava lamp Mr Smith said his life turned around.

"Only a couple of weeks after Holy Mary appeared to me in the lava lamp every facet of my life began to miraculously transform," he said.

"I met the most incredible woman, my angel here on earth. Since then we have gotten engaged, phenomenal job offers have come flooding in, money keeps presenting itself and we are blessed by the warmth and love of angels constantly protecting and guiding us."

Check out the "shrine" at http://www.holymarylamp.com/
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 am

LOL! Well Nolan, your little sanctum might well be blessed! But how does the guy keep it there? Lava lamps tend to keep morphing.
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:56 am

Guess we could all converge on the Lava Lite Lounge and have meditation sessions staring at the lamps looking for some religious figure to appear . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:03 pm

I actually have this trailer on another thread, for Bollywood fans only, but the trailer to this film does include someone discovering the likeness of Ganesh in a potato, lol.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/cha...ina/large.html
yesireebob

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Here's the link, I don't think the other one works... The movie is called Chandni Chowk to China, it just opened on the 16th.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/chandnichowktochina/large.html
yesireebob

Postby ImstillYesmam » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:02 pm

I think the guy tattooing his vehicles is cool, did anyone notice how neat and straight all his writing was??? Amazing.

The lava lamp thing,,,welllllllllll,,it's a little cheesy don't ya think?
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]
ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby yesireebob » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:26 am

ImstillYesmam wrote: The lava lamp thing,,,welllllllllll,,it's a little cheesy don't ya think?

Didn't someone see Mary in a hunk of cheese once???
yesireebob

Postby the greenman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Cheese, Toast, Mushrooms (cause or effect...discuss). I had my spiritual moment in Church yesterday - St Mary's, Speen, (no not Spleen), Newbury, where UK Tribute band Fragile (http://www.yestribute.com/) were doing there thang. & very good it was too!

Certainly the most fun I've had in a church for a long time!! & I speak as Son of the Manse, so I cant tell you half the things that went on, so long a go (so clear - in the memory..)
the greenman

Veteran Member

The Bible, According to Cats

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Check out the lolcat version here . . .

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I can haz lite? An lite wuz . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:42 pm

An al teh kittehs uf dat Erf beheldz an sez 'loe iz gud'. Srsly.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Mormon Outreach Expands!

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Guess they're NOW sending missionaries to Klingon! :eek:

http://stfhe.jlcarroll.net/Klingon_BoM/
tardistraveler

Hidden Bible Truths

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Here's some Bible teachings that most of us didn't know . . . you have to read between the lines for these . . . ;)

Q. What kind of man was Boaz before he married Ruth?
A. Ruthless.

Q. What do they call pastors in Germany ?
A. German Shepherds.

Q. Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?
A. Noah He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Q. Who was the greatest female financier in the Bible?
A. Pharaoh's daughter. She went down to the bank of the Nile and drew out a
Little prophet.

Q. What kind of motor vehicles are in the Bible?
A. Jehovah drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury. David's Triumph
Was heard throughout the land. Also, probably a Honda, because the apostles
Were all in one Accord.

Q.. Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible?
A. Samson. He brought the house down.

Q. What excuse did Adam give to his children as to why he no longer lived in in Eden ?
A. Your mother ate us out of house and home.

Q. Which servant of God was the most flagrant lawbreaker in the Bible?
A. Moses.. He broke all 10 commandments at once.

Q. Which area of Palestinewas especially wealthy?
A. The area around Jordan . The banks were always overflowing.

Q. Who is the greatest babysitter mentioned in the Bible?
A. David He rocked Goliath to a very deep sleep.

Q. Which Bible character had no parents?
A. Joshua, son of Nun.

Q. Why didn't they play cards on the Ark ?
A. Because Noah was standing on the deck.

PS... Did you know it's a sin for a woman to make coffee?
Yup, it's in the Bible. It says . . 'He-brews'
tardistraveler

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:02 am

im a prude
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Alternate Views?

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Mainstream religions aren't meeting your needs? Check THESE groups out . . . :)

http://www.chiprowe.com/articles/breakaway-beliefs.html

"Breakaway Beliefs

Irritated by Islam? Peeved about pedophile priests? Had enough of gay-bashing Episcopalians? Consider a new, more exciting, more interesting faith. (If you've met one Scientologist, you've met them all.) The seventh edition of the Encyclopedia of American Religions includes 250 new churches, sects, cults, temples, societies, missions and religions. We realize most people don't have time to find the needle of truth in a haystack of dogma, so we've selected a few candidates that could make you the spiritual life of any party.

Church of All Worlds
Background: Two students at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri created the church in 1962, taking its name and concepts such as grokking (the ability to fully empathize with others) from Robert Heinlein's science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. In the spirit of the times, the students also decreed that sex is a divine act. (According to one account, during a police raid of an early CAW orgy, a minister, while still fucking, asked the cops not to disturb the service.) By the late 1970s the group had begun producing "living unicorns" by operating on baby goats. The first of these animals toured with Ringling Bros. until 1988. The church has also organized an expedition to search for mermaids in New Guinea and launched initiatives such as the Street Cat Aid Team, or SCAT. Its website includes articles on responsible condom use and strategies for swinging. Spiritual guide: The church, which claims about 575 members, survives under co-founder Tim Zell, now known as Oberon Zell-Ravenhart (above left), and his wife, Morning Glory. Its chief text is Zell's Gaia Thesis, which posits that the planet and its creatures are a single organism. Downside: Somebody at the orgy has to keep an eye on the unicorn. Pickup line: Female members are greeted with "Thou art goddess."

Traditionalist Catholics
Background: Traditionalists believe that the modern Catholic church has become too modern. Adherents at 600 chapels worldwide celebrate mass in Latin, push the theory that every pope since 1958 has been a poseur and reject the reforms of Vatican II that, among other things, exonerated Jews for the death of Jesus. Not surprisingly, the Vatican does not approve. Spiritual guide: Traditionalists came under intense scrutiny when believer Mel Gibson released his $25 million, self-financed Latin and Aramaic epic, The Passion, depicting the last bloody hours of Jesus's life. "A lot of unusual things have been happening," Gibson told an interviewer on the set. "Good things, like people being healed of diseases." The actor has also given $2.8 million to the Holy Family congregation, which is building a 9,300-square-foot traditionalist chapel near Malibu for Gibson and its 70 other members. One passionate if extreme traditionalist thinker is Hutton Gibson, Mel's dad and the author of Is the Pope Catholic? The elder Gibson considers the current pope a "Koran kisser," says Vatican II was "a Masonic plot backed by Jews," asserts that the planes that flew into the World Trade Center were flown not by terrorists but by remote control and denies that the Holocaust ever occurred ("There were more Jews after the war than before"). Downside: Hard to follow all-Latin sermons, especially the punch lines. Pickup line: Wanna see my Passion? (Caveat: This will work only if the movie makes it to DVD.)

Church of Satan
Background: The good news is you don't have to believe in Satan symbol of man as a carnal beast whose needs must be fulfilled. Every satanist is encouraged to follow his or her own set of rules, and self-preservation is considered the most powerful instinct, followed by sex. Drugs are discouraged for being escapist. The church's guiding principles include indulgence, kindness and vengeance. Spiritual guide: On April 30, 1966 founder Anton LaVey shaved his head and proclaimed the start of the satanic era. He gained notoriety performing weddings and funerals and worshipping at his Black House in San Francisco with a nude woman on the altar. A 1991 investigation found that much of LaVey's wild biography — including his stint at as a circus lion tamer — had been invented. John Raymond, who played the groom in a staged satanic wedding, wrote that LaVey had "found a gig that privately amused him." A $100 lifetime membership, available online, gets you an embossed membership card and a freak-out from your mom. The breakaway First Church of Satan raises funds by selling Dark Passion, a jazz vocals CD. Downside: Goat-head tattoo. Pickup line: Behold, I have a tongue like a serpent.

The Peyote Way Church of God
Background: The Mescalero Apaches introduced the use of peyote for enlightenment to the U.S. sometime prior to 1870. It spread rapidly among Native American tribes until the U.S. government began a crackdown in 1918 that continues to this day. A Peyote Way founder writes, "When we eat the peyote we experience time and eternity, and it is from that vantage that, the next day, we can live our life in a very positive and nontrivial way, realizing that this day could be the last and everyone around us is our brother and sister and we need each other." Spiritual guide: In 1965 the government decreed that only people who are at least 25 percent Indian could become members of the peyote-eating Native American Church, which had been tolerated since 1918 as an "Indian version of Christianity." The restriction led to the 1977 creation of the Peyote Way, whose 250 members welcome everyone; the state of Arizona allows them to distribute the drug on their 160-acre compound. For $200 visitors can partake in a 24-hour fast followed by an eight- to 12-hour meditation. The church suggests taking along spiritual reading material, a pad and pen, a lighter or matches, a hat, a sleeping bag and a flashlight. The peyote is consumed as a tea or in small buttons. Downside: Sitting on a sleeping bag in the wilderness outside a remote religious compound may not be the best place to have a bad trip. Pickup line: Can I see you on the other side?

Pentecostal Snake Handlers
Background: Snake handlers, who operate under the umbrella Church of God with Signs Following, believe that the Bible commands the most godly to handle deadly serpents. (The less godly can watch.) Snake handlers entertain 50 to 100 congregations stretching from central Florida to West Virginia to Ohio. They also believe that the godly speak in tongues, cast out demons, drink poison, apply fire to the skin and heal the sick people who've been bitten by pissed-off snakes. Spiritual guide: According to church lore, snake handling began about 1909 in Cleveland, Tennessee. That's where George Hensley was preaching on Mark 16 ("They shall take up serpents") when parishioners dumped a box of rattlers at his feet. He picked them up and kept talking. Hensley's luck ran out in Florida in 1955, when he was bitten by a diamondback. At least 77 other believers have reportedly died from bites. Downside: Because snake handling is rooted in the Pentecostal faith, church leaders ban jewelry, booze, tobacco, caffeine and modern medicine. Some churches allow visits to the doctor, but only if you're dying. Pickup line: Wanna see me handle my snake?

The Aetherius Society
Background: According to this Hollywood-based society, Earth is involved in a cosmic war with evil magicians who hope to enslave mankind. Its members channel humanity's concerns to the Great White Brotherhood, which includes Jesus (now living on Venus) and Buddha. Spiritual guide: While practicing yoga in his London apartment in 1954, founder George King (left) heard a voice proclaim, "Prepare yourself. You are to become the voice of Interplanetary Parliament." The following year King announced that Master Aetherius of Venus had named him as the planet's primary terrestrial mental channel. In short order he visited 18 mountains (including Mount Baldy and Castle Peak) to charge them with power. Until his death in 1997, King channeled some 600 messages from the Cosmic Masters, many of which are posted online as audio files. He also wrote numerous books, including You Too Can Heal and Contacts With the Gods From Space. Downside: Ever seen the movie Independence Day? Pickup line: Nice peaks.

Universal Life Church
Background: The ULC is the best known of the mail-order churches that will ordain anyone who asks. Once a person's name is added to its online database, he or she can legally perform baptisms, weddings and funerals in most states. The church offers other benefits, such as a $5 minister-on-call windshield card so you can snag prime parking spots at nursing homes and prisons. Although the ULC cites the Bible to justify its unorthodox position — "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you" — it has no central beliefs. "We believe only in that which is right, and everyone has the right to determine what is right for themselves." The church trinity is freedom, food and sexuality. Spiritual guide: Kirby Hensley and his wife, Lida, founded the Modesto, California-based church in 1962. The IRS viewed it as a tax dodge, but the Hensleys said they believed that all religious and political forces would someday unite under the ULC banner. (Courts ultimately ruled in the ULC's favor.) To speed the unification process, Kirby Hensley formed the People's Peace Prosperity Party and ran for governor of California and president of the U.S. Ever the progressive, in 1971 he officiated at the wedding of two women. Downside: None, really, unless you get the IRS involved. Pickup line: You'll have sex only if I marry you? Okay, stand right here."
tardistraveler

May the Force Be With You . . .

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Wonder if the police force issues lightsabers?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3294720.html?menu=news.quirkies

A Scottish police officer has confessed to following the Jedi faith beloved of Star Wars film fans.

Pam Fleming, a 45-year-old beat officer in Glasgow for Strathclyde Police, said that she thought all police officers "should be Jedis," when interviewed by Jane's Police Review.

"For me, it is not a joke," she said. "Being a Jedi is a way of life. I love the Star Wars films and the concept of being a Jedi, that the faith is not divisive."

Ms Fleming said she knew of other Jedis in Strathclyde Police - the force apparently has eight in total, according to a recent survey.

She told The Sun she uses Jedi mind tricks to get the truth out of suspects during interviews.

However, Ms Fleming said she does not use her powers to influence what suspects say or do.

"I have even started calling my probationer as a joke my Padawan (Jedi apprentice)," she said, "although I am not sure he likes that."

According to Britain's Office for National Statistics, a total of 390,000 people in England and Wales listed their religion as Jedi in the most recent census in 2001.
tardistraveler

Re: May the Force Be With You . . .

Postby the greenman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:32 pm

tardistraveler wrote:
According to Britain's Office for National Statistics, a total of 390,000 people in England and Wales listed their religion as Jedi in the most recent census in 2001.

there was a bit of a campaign to get people to do that - kind of a rebellion against the norm! And a bit of fun!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Fri May 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Here's the latest "Virgin Mary" sighting . . . :rolleyes:

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=16491060

Guess the restaurant can start the Church of the Holy Griddle?
tardistraveler

Postby tribute1969 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:59 pm

I miss the Nun Bun ...
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 pm

tribute1969 wrote:I miss the Nun Bun ...

Wonder if it ever turned up anywhere?

Guess someone is using it for their own private worship ceremonies . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Thu May 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Or maybe someone is eating it with Marmite . . . ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8071865.stm

Family see Jesus image in Marmite

It may not be immediately obvious to everyone, but one family are convinced they can see the face of Jesus on the lid of a jar of Marmite.

Claire Allen, 36, said she was the first to notice the image on the underside of the lid as she was putting the yeast spread on her son's toast.

Her husband Gareth, 37, said he could not believe his eyes when he saw it.

Mr Allen, of Ystrad, Rhondda, said: "The kids are still eating it, but we kept the lid."

He explained: "Claire saw it first and called her dad to come and take a photo of it.

"When I first looked at it I wasn't sure, but when I moved it away from me it started coming out. I thought yeah, she's right - that's the image of Jesus.

People might think I'm nuts, but I like to think it's Jesus looking out for us

Mrs Allen said her 14-year-old son Jamie had also remarked on the likeness.

She told the South Wales Echo: "Straight away Jamie said 'that looks like God', and my other boys (Robbie, four, and Tomas, 11) even said they could see a face.

"People might think I'm nuts, but I like to think it's Jesus looking out for us.

"We've had a tough couple of months; my mum's been really ill and it's comforting to think that if he is there, he's watching over us."
tardistraveler

Jesus of the Week!

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 pm

For those who need their weekly dose . . . ;)

http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/jesii/230/

This week it's Chocolate Jesus . . .
tardistraveler

Pressing Engagement?

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Guess Jesus had a "pressing engagement" . . . lol

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3582369.html?menu=news.quirkies

Jesus appears on iron

A US woman was stunned when she spotted Jesus - on her iron.

Mary Jo Coady, 44, of Methuen, Massachusetts, spotted the image while doing a load of ironing.

She says the stunning resemblance to Jesus Christ has reassured her that "life is going to be good".

The 44-year-old Catholic said the image looks just like Jesus and proves "he's listening".

She said she won't be using the iron any more and plans to purchase a new one.

According to the Boston Globe, she shared the photo on Facebook, and was reassured by friends that they, too, saw Jesus on the iron.

"So I said, 'OK, I'm not crazy'," Mrs Coady said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tardistraveler

Smells Like Jesus?

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Well, this just might, depending on how you interpret Psalm 45 . . . ;)

http://www.hisessence.com/

And why am I the only one posting here? :(

Surely some of you know of some weirdness in the world of religion??
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I heard about the 8-limbed indian girl who's parents believed her to be a God, and consequently charged people to come and see her...

But apart from that it's always the usual- 'I was healed at Lourdes', etc.

Not that I'm dismissing the authenticity of these stories by any means. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and miracles do happen, because people can decide themselves what a miracle is and isn't. To an atheist, a Christian message in a piece of fruit is coincidence, to a Christian it's meaningful act of God. I could say that yesterday's snow (which falls rarely in Britain and even less frequently on the south coast) was a miracle if it affected me personally enough in a way that was beyond coincidence. Especially if I had prayed to a respective God for it the previous night.

I think this is probably why we have religious people and non-religious people on Earth. Different opinions based on the same facts.

Wow that was a tediously philosophical post! :confused:
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Looks like the market has fallen out of Jesus-image artifacts!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3680501.html?menu=news.quirkies
(Click the link to see the picture)

'Jesus' door fails to sell

A bid to sell bathroom door, said to have the face of Jesus, for charity failed to attract a single bid.

An eBay user noticed the image on his bathroom door and decided to auction it to help victims of the Haiti earthquake.

The seller, known as 'hecox', from Wichita, US, pledged 50% of proceeds from the sale to the needy.

"I noticed the face as I was coming out of the bathroom. I was intrigued to take pictures of it," the seller says in the item description.

"There has to be a good light on the door to fully appreciate the face. Indeed, it does look like the face of Jesus. In no way at all did I make this image on the door."

Images of deities on ordinary objects have sold for small fortunes on eBay - but not this time.

Comments from eBay users ranged from "it looks like an owl" to "is it a priest?"

And the auction ended with not a single bid beyond the seller's opening asking price of 99 US cents.
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Someone posted this link today over on YF - it's pretty cool - a number of quizzes and games where you can "Create Your Own God", see how "moral" you are . . . stuff like that.

Have fun!

http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Someone posted this link today over on YF - it's pretty cool - a number of quizzes and games where you can "Create Your Own God", see how "moral" you are . . . stuff like that.

Have fun!

http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/

That Battleground God game was very good. It analyses your beliefs to see if they a) logically contradict themselves /your own morals, b) don't adhere to the general moral/spiritual orientation of MOST people. I got a medal of distinction!

The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting very few bullets suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.
A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. The bitten bullets occurred because you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, because you bit only two bullets and avoided direct hits completely you still qualify for our second highest award. A good achievement!
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah, on the "morals" quiz, I was told I was consistently moral - I didn't contradict myself, so that's good!
tardistraveler

Next

Return to Other Skylines