Let's All Take a Breather . . .

Let's All Take a Breather . . .

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:12 pm

from political topics . . .

The last years in U.S. politics have been very polarizing, and that polarization keeps cropping up on threads out here.

Let's all just take a break for a little while.

There's much more in life to discuss and share. There's an abundance of musical news.

I'm hearing about lots of new things on the horizon for 2009. On the Yes-related side, looks like HSW will do some West Coast dates, and Howe will also be touring with the original Asia members. There's Squire's collaboration with Steve Hackett upcoming too. And I've been hearing some very hopeful news about Jon doing some collaborations with folks . . . :)

On other fronts, I'm hearing there will be a new Dream Theater release, Porcupine Tree will be touring, Nightwish is releasing an album in March, and Adrian Belew has U.S. dates with the Power Trio.

I'm sure others will check in with other news THEY have heard about their favorite bands . . . ;)

We're in the holidays right now, and there's stories to share about our plans. Our long-running ATM thread is always a great slice-of-life, hearing about everyone's life from the mundane to the unusual. I love hearing about Kota's school adventures, Greenglade's peacocks, Nolan's hotel encounters . . . we share concern for each other's well-being out there too, and it's good.

Let's all remember for a while all those things that bring us together, instead of the divisiveness of politics, just for a while, at least.

Love to all . . . "It will be a good day . . . "
tardistraveler

Re: Let's All Take a Breather . . .

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Agreed. I never think of politics when I am listening to CTTE anyway!!
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 am

Sorry, I thought this was the "off topic" forum. My bad. I found this post by Chris 2210 to be rather telling:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://forum.yestalk.org/showthread.php?t=6752

The reason people are viewing and not contributing to these threads is that there's little point to them. There's also no point in debating your opinions. Because they're not going to shift.

Dean refers to 'satire' but my understanding of the term doesn't encompass the ignorant and the wit-less. None of this would be so bad if these were merely boring posts that everyone could cheerfully ignore. Unfortunately to any prospective new member these are an example of what goes on here.

Petty, negative, mean-spirited, close-minded, borderline racist (in reference to the 'song' I think it's not that borderline), meandering twaddle is not going to attract many new members - certainly none we'd want. We've recently temporarily [I hope] lost one of our most valued contributors through this shit. Do you seriously think you're safe if you play some sort of spurious charade of skirting around what you perceive to be the 'rules'?

This is a social club - a place people come to exchange opinions and banter - the idea is that this should be enjoyable, otherwise there are always other clubs. Where I live if people are identified as going in to places in order to pick fights, they get barred.

The 'bouncers' have had their eyes on you two for a while and you've been asked nicely on numerous occasions. Patience is a finite resource, even in the most tolerant of circles.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who are you calling ignorant and witless Chris? Who are you calling racist? Someone was recently banned for an insult far less severe than that. Of course I don't expect you to hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to. I know better.

Unfortunately, any newcomer can see the double standard that exists here and the heavy handed, one-sided "be liberal or be gone" attitude that exists here. Your own post above clearly states that you only want certain kinds of people here. I certainly hope you're speaking just for yourself and not for Yestalk as a whole, but it certainly comes across that way.

I started that thread trying to get an honest discussion going. I even backed Obama on a few points. If people don't want to respond that's fine, but you have no right to be so insulting and condescending.

Petty, negative, mean-spirited, closed minded? You've just described yourself to a tee. The fact is you and some of the other moderators (and former moderators) can't stand and won't allow certain opinions and can't debate them on a factual and/or logical basis so you allow insults to be hurled (along with hurling insults yourself) at anyone who holds these opinions and then if there's any retaliation at all you ban or threaten to ban the retaliator instead of the perpetrator.

When is this nonsense going to end? People are quite free to ignore my thread if they wish, but it's become painfully obvious that anyone expressing a conservative opinion here is not welcome and I think the moderation team here has done a good job of intimidating anyone from expressing such an opinion. Free speech is a noble, liberal concept but apparently it's not allowed here.

Yeah, people are really going to want to come here when they see that others get banned and threatened and insulted for voicing certain opinions, get threads locked simply because the moderator disagrees with the opinion, and sees moderators and other high profile members here pissing off ex-Yes members for no apparent reason. Let people have an opinion and voice it, for God's sake! Let people have rational discussions and speak freely. If things start getting nasty, then moderate and ban the perpetrator(s) if need be.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:04 am

From the forum header:
Other Skylines
Feel like discussing other things with your YEStalk friends? Speak your mind in our off-topic YEStalk section.

Uh, yeah! :)
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:35 am

Terry, you just don't get it. If you find this site and its mods so troublesome, perhaps you can find another forum more to your liking. You are not doing any favors to this one.
yesireebob

Postby N2yes » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Terry, I must interject. The only people who have been banned from this site are those who did, in fact, break the rules by hurling insults and senseless name-calling. This will not be tolerated here. You are exceptionally free-minded, but sometimes you have demonstrated a penchant for being very condescending and if you were called on it, realize there's a degree of truth to it. Doesn't make you a bad person, but add a little polish to your retorts and you'll never have a problem. I'm no liberal by any means, if anything, very conservative, but here, most are more liberally minded. We must accept these divergent viewpoints as we all share that one thing in common...freedom of the right to express your viewpoint, but I ask that you do so with no less passion but with a more refined approach, being cognizant of the possible negative perceptions your words may carry. That's all. Carry on. Thanks
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:21 pm

N2yes wrote:Terry, I must interject. The only people who have been banned from this site are those who did, in fact, break the rules by hurling insults and senseless name-calling. This will not be tolerated here. You are exceptionally free-minded, but sometimes you have demonstrated a penchant for being very condescending and if you were called on it, realize there's a degree of truth to it. Doesn't make you a bad person, but add a little polish to your retorts and you'll never have a problem. I'm no liberal by any means, if anything, very conservative, but here, most are more liberally minded. We must accept these divergent viewpoints as we all share that one thing in common...freedom of the right to express your viewpoint, but I ask that you do so with no less passion but with a more refined approach, being cognizant of the possible negative perceptions your words may carry. That's all. Carry on. Thanks

I do accept their viewpoints. They won't accept mine. They locked my thread for no reason. I and others have been insulted and slandered, by a moderator even, and nothing is done about it.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Terry Shea wrote:I do accept their viewpoints. They won't accept mine. They locked my thread for no reason. I and others have been insulted and slandered, by a moderator even, and nothing is done about it.

Terry, I'm coming from a point of no bias at all with the following question, but I am curious to read your answer:

What do you like about Yestalk?
Roan's Lady

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Since I'm the one who locked the threads, I'll respond.

When a thread totally degenerates into name-calling, put-downs, finger-pointing, arguments, then I will close it. Such actions add nothing to the site, and discourage new members from staying around.

All I'm asking is for people to share their opinions respectfully, being cognizant that others will not necessarily share your opinions. Intelligent, respectful sharing of opinions is welcome. But a number of the threads lately have degenerated into . . .

"You're a poo-poo head."

"No, I'm not, YOU'RE a poo-poo head."

"No, you're the poo-poo head, and I can prove it. Back in Post 276, you admitted to being a poo-poo head."

"Did not."

"Did too."

I'm oversimplfying things here, of course, but many of the recent threads have read just about this inane.

If you post respectfully, the mods will have no problem with that. If there is behavior out here that you take issue with, then please notify the mods, and handle things in PM's.
tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Thank you Diane, for stepping up and making some tough calls.

I would add that regardless of who starts anything, anyone who choses to respond with further poo-hurling is equally responsible for the resulting stench. Sometimes it's best just to reflect on what the poster is saying about himself or herself, and not respond at all. And, try not to read too much into any given comment. Just like e-mail, you are seeing someone in a very flat dimension and don't have the benefit of body language or eye contact. It is easy to take things very personally when no personal emnity was intended.

With that, let's REALLY take a breather and get back to the business of what we are here for -- good will and good cheer amongst people with exceptional and exemplary taste in music!
yesireebob

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:28 am

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:22 pm

tribute1969 wrote:and get's some bar-b-que

Get Real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CirPSsXU8&feature=related

I can't watch this at work, unfortunately . . . you're not suggesting we barbecue Greenglade's peacocks, are you??? ;)
tardistraveler

Postby Terry Shea » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Since I'm the one who locked the threads, I'll respond.

When a thread totally degenerates into name-calling, put-downs, finger-pointing, arguments, then I will close it. Such actions add nothing to the site, and discourage new members from staying around.

All I'm asking is for people to share their opinions respectfully, being cognizant that others will not necessarily share your opinions. Intelligent, respectful sharing of opinions is welcome. But a number of the threads lately have degenerated into . . .

"You're a poo-poo head."

"No, I'm not, YOU'RE a poo-poo head."

"No, you're the poo-poo head, and I can prove it. Back in Post 276, you admitted to being a poo-poo head."

"Did not."

"Did too."

I'm oversimplfying things here, of course, but many of the recent threads have read just about this inane.

If you post respectfully, the mods will have no problem with that. If there is behavior out here that you take issue with, then please notify the mods, and handle things in PM's.

So basically anyone can get someone else's thread(s) locked by simply being annoying or off topic, eh? That makes a lot of sense. Don't punish the offender(s), punish the thread originator. It's kind of like shooting the messenger.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Terry Shea » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 pm

N2yes wrote:Terry, I must interject. The only people who have been banned from this site are those who did, in fact, break the rules by hurling insults and senseless name-calling. This will not be tolerated here. You are exceptionally free-minded, but sometimes you have demonstrated a penchant for being very condescending and if you were called on it, realize there's a degree of truth to it. Doesn't make you a bad person, but add a little polish to your retorts and you'll never have a problem. I'm no liberal by any means, if anything, very conservative, but here, most are more liberally minded. We must accept these divergent viewpoints as we all share that one thing in common...freedom of the right to express your viewpoint, but I ask that you do so with no less passion but with a more refined approach, being cognizant of the possible negative perceptions your words may carry. That's all. Carry on. Thanks

Well maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where Yesman did anywhere near the insulting that Greenglade did, and Greenglade clearly went way beyond being insulting. He clearly slandered me and others, and for the life of me I can't understand how a site can allow that to happen.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:51 pm

YES and few yesmen too..
"Tastes Like Chicken"....

tardistraveler wrote:I can't watch this at work, unfortunately . . . you're not suggesting we barbecue Greenglade's peacocks, are you??? ;)
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:54 pm

BIG "ice storm" delays school opening 2 hours this morning... :rolleyes:
I've seen heavier frost but better to be safe than sorry!

Going over to YesFans to see if they like bar b que too.....
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby Roan's Lady » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I can't watch this at work, unfortunately . . . you're not suggesting we barbecue Greenglade's peacocks, are you??? ;)

By "peacocks", you mean..."peacocks"...right?? ;)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:15 am

Terry Shea wrote:Well maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where Yesman did anywhere near the insulting that Greenglade did, and Greenglade clearly went way beyond being insulting. He clearly slandered me and others, and for the life of me I can't understand how a site can allow that to happen.

"Slander" and "libel" are subcategories of "defamation, " a tort. Slander is spoken, as in saying, "so-and-so is are a poo-head," while libel is defamation in print, pictures, or any other visual means, such as writing the same words or perhaps showing a picture of the person with a piece of poo in place of his or her her head. Electronic communications have complicated the distinction, but on an internet forum it's probably libel rather than slander. In order to win a defamation suit, you have to show publication of a falsehood and actual damages resulting from such publication. Opinions, political invective and hyperbole are not defamatory; as with certain body orifices everyone has one and everyone thinks theirs doesn't stink. There is a First Amendment right to free speech. But false assertions that state or imply a factual accusation of poopy things the person did may be actionable if this content is published to others and results in the person suffering actual damages, such as loss of job prospects or other losses that can be measured monetarily. Note, posting in an internet forum where most people do not go by their real name is probably not going to amount to "publication" since you don't even know the alleged poo-head's identity. In any event, the issue is whether an ordinary reader would believe the allegedly defamatory statement to be a factual assertion, or just opinion or hyperbole. Truth is always a defense to such such a suit and thus such suits always result in even more dirt being dug up to prove that the person in question is, in fact, a poo-head who did those and perhaps even poopier things. One of the conundrums in bring such a suit is that even if the content is clearly untrue and defamatory, bringing suit only serves to underscore the defamatory content and publish it even further. In other words, more "you are a poo-head," "am not, YOU are a poo-head," but in a higher-profile public record guaranteed to make everyone wish they'd never been born. So there ya go.

In the criminal context, free speech does not include "fighting words" that could cause a n immediate breach of the peace. In other words, if the words "you are a poo-head" would incite the average person to retaliate or otherwise immediately respond in such a manner as to disturb the peace of others, then criminal penalties may apply.

Please try to understand the difference between free expression of opinion and "fighting words." The former is to be encouraged, lively debate is a GOOD thing. But when it gets personal, when it gets ugly, when it makes the board sound like a kindergarten playground or a fight club, this is bad. Time-outs ensue. As childish as some of this gets, maybe we should call them "time-outs" rather than banning.

So, again, let's take a breather.
yesireebob

Postby tribute1969 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:48 am

Maybe start a Forum called..
"Those Are Fighting Words!"
or "Fight Club"....no rules...and no spilling over into
the regular forums...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 am

When an attorney says "poo-head" at least three times in one communique, I sit up and take notice. ;)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby yesireebob » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:20 am

DISCLAIMER

The aforementioned comminque was an intended in jest. The term "poo-head" is an abstract, theoretical term coined in previous posts in the instant thread, and is not intended to refer to any actual particular person or entity. Nothing in the aforementioned comminque is intended to constitute an offer of representation or actual representation on behalf of any and all interested alleged poo-heads. Nor does said comminque constitute legal advice upon which any interested alleged poo-head should rely. Any interested alleged poo-heads who desire actual legal advice and/or representatin are advised to consult with an attorney in their own jurisdiction.

;)
yesireebob

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:44 am

yesireebob wrote:DISCLAIMER

The aforementioned comminque was an intended in jest. The term "poo-head" is an abstract, theoretical term coined in previous posts in the instant thread, and is not intended to refer to any actual particular person or entity. Nothing in the aforementioned comminque is intended to constitute an offer of representation or actual representation on behalf of any and all interested alleged poo-heads. Nor does said comminque constitute legal advice upon which any interested alleged poo-head should rely. Any interested alleged poo-heads who desire actual legal advice and/or representatin are advised to consult with an attorney in their own jurisdiction.

;)

Ah, HUMOR!! Ar Ar
(Mork, to Mindy, somewhere in the '70's)
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:43 pm

yesireebob wrote:DISCLAIMER

;)

Is "poo-headedness" a legal specialty? ;)
tardistraveler

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:57 pm

I think this has gone way too far when apparently the banned member gets into my Youtube profile and posts a political comment. My god, online stalking?
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:44 pm

THIS may be next....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTbLx19GpDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLvu-Zg-mE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8S2Je4x52Y&feature=related

Good God...Let's all just go listen to some great music!

"Peace On Earth (and YesTalk) and Good Will Towards Man"....
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Greenglade's Frog wrote:I think this has gone way too far when apparently the banned member gets into my Youtube profile and posts a political comment. My god, online stalking?

Apparently? So do you not actually know if it was him or not? Was it in a place that allows for public comments? If so then I believe he had every right to post something there, and your above comment on this site would be irrelevant to this forum and may be another case of you libeling someone IMO (referring to him as a stalker). I don't know, I haven't seen your page or the comment, but it looks to me like you're just trying to stir up trouble again. If you're having a problem with him or someone else over there I would suggest you take it up with the powers that be at Youtube. They may be able to do something about it, but I don't think anyone here can.
My music myspace page:
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
yesireebob

Return to Other Skylines