Anyone Read Music Books?

Anyone Read Music Books?

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:30 am

Here are two I recently read..

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-New-Look-Gregory-Walter/dp/1594111340

There's a $5000 reward if you win "The Great American Tush" contest.
There is a concert goer featured several times in the book who is yet to be identified....If you can "prove" who's tush it is, you win $5000....

and this one full of great road trip antics ideas from
our favorite keyboardist..Rick Wakeman..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grumpy-Old-Rockstar-Wonderous-Stories/dp/1848090048

I'm trying the fart baggie trick "Soon"....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Re: Anyone Read Music Books?

Postby the greenman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Geoff Docherty's 'The Promoters Tale' is quite an interesting tale of life how it was for a promoter in the North East of England in the 60s & 70s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Promoters-Tale-Rock-Sharp-End/dp/071199434X
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm

I liked Genesis I Know What I Like, published in '80.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 am

I liked the book published last year, Grumpy Old Rock Star.
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

I just received Peter Banks' book Beyond and Before at Christmas - haven't dug into it yet, but I'm sure it's an interesting perspective on Yes.
tardistraveler

Postby the greenman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

you'll have to post a review when you have! or at least some interesting snippets.

I'm just reading 'The Beatles ' the dream is over' (off the record 2) it's a kind of digest of various interviews/webcasts done with & by the individual ex Fabs from '71 to 2002, so it covers some interesting times..

You cant read it all in one - more for dipping in & out of, when the mood suits..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 am

Last music book I read was David Quantick's The White Album which is a witty and insightful look at the period and events around, as well as the music of the Fab's eponymous album. Quantick's favourite, but certainly not mine - for instance his opinion on O-Bla-Di-O-Bla-Da "If you do not like this song, you are an enemy of life and joy - you may be Lou Reed". Well I'm not Lou Reed, but he goes on to say "You may also be a Beatle", since apparently, McCartney aside, by the time they came to cut the number they all hated it.

It didn't take me that long... On the other hand I can hardly condemn McCartney as he also contributes 'Blackbird' - which for my dosh is possibly the finest 'simple' song of its era.

All that aside, I'd heartily recommend this book to any fan of the Beatles music or even student of the history of the era.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm

I remember the 'let it be' film & I think it was John saying 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer, eh? Really scraping the barrel now..'

& I always liked the way that the day after Paul is seen taking control & lecturing George about how he wants a particular bit played (to which George says 'I'll play what you want me to play, or I wont play at all, I dont care..' in his scousy accent), he comes in with 'I, Me Me, Mine'.

Funny with all the re-masters & re-issues, the let it be film remains untouched.

ah Pauly, we love you really!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:33 pm

the greenman wrote:I remember the 'let it be' film & I think it was John saying 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer, eh? Really scraping the barrel now..'

I think Abbey Road is possibly the finest rock album ever. I even used to like Maxwell's Silver Hammer for something like the first half dozen or so times I heard it. But that's the problem with one-joke songs after a while you're just left with the music and if the music is as banal as this...

So even though I haven't changed my opinion on the album - it's in spite of that and of course Octopus's Garden. Oh and I ain't over-keen on Come Together either (I think it's a bit of a pot-boiler). The rest is blindingly brilliant...
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I quite like the 'growliness' of Come Together - 'here cum ol' flat top' etc.. to my mind there are some 'raw' elements in those last Beatle albums that paved the way for the birth of 'heavy metal'. Still that's way off topic..

I have a copy of Leggy Mountbatten's 'Cellarful of Goys' by my bed, no I mean the real - and stunningly thin - biog by Epstein of his life with the Fabs.. It's a curiousity read..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:38 am

I read cereal boxes
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

the greenman wrote:I have a copy of Leggy Mountbatten's 'Cellarful of Goys' by my bed, no I mean the real - and stunningly thin - biog by Epstein of his life with the Fabs.. It's a curiousity read..

I was bought the documentary of the Prefab Four for Christmas. The song pastiches are very effective and the cameo by Harrison is interesting, but a few good jokes aside [like the one you reference] it doesn't really bare much repeated viewing. Won't be saying that to the other 'arf of course...
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Chris2210 wrote:I was bought the documentary of the Prefab Four for Christmas. The song pastiches are very effective and the cameo by Harrison is interesting, but a few good jokes aside [like the one you reference] it doesn't really bare much repeated viewing. Won't be saying that to the other 'arf of course...

It's a nice one to have in the collection tho.. I bought Rutles Archaeology, which was released around the time of 'Anthology' by that little known liverpool band.

As well as some more great pastiches (largely written by Neil Innes) it had 'Get Up & Go' which was left off 'all you need is cash' because - allegedly - Lennon thought it was a bit too close to 'Get Back'...

I remember playing the original to a French exchange student my brother had staying & telling him it was the Beatles.. I dont think he spotted the difference..

I missed out recently when Innes toured 'the Rutles' a couple of years back - didnt even know it was happening. Darn!

if you go here: http://www.innesbookofrecords.com/

you can hear Ron Nasty's last ever song... Allegedly!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 pm

tribute1969 wrote:Here are two I recently read..

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-New-Look-Gregory-Walter/dp/1594111340

There's a $5000 reward if you win "The Great American Tush" contest.
There is a concert goer featured several times in the book who is yet to be identified....If you can "prove" who's tush it is, you win $5000....

and this one full of great road trip antics ideas from
our favorite keyboardist..Rick Wakeman..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grumpy-Old-Rockstar-Wonderous-Stories/dp/1848090048

I'm trying the fart baggie trick "Soon"....

No, I never , never read music books , absolutely never..what, you think I'm into music?

I was totally into I Know What I Like, story of Genesis and Hammer of the Gods, and often check out books from library on favorite bands. There is a biography of Segovia I really like. Never read any Yes biographies though.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:14 pm

I've read quite a few lately . . . during the Woodstock 40th anniversary, I read Michael Lang's take on the thing, and also Young Men with Unlimited Capital, from the perspective of the folks who actually fronted the cash for the thing. Fascinating reads - but no matter whose perspective you read, you're still left with the feeling that the event was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Read a couple of Doors bios - one by John Densmore, one by Danny Sugerman . . . those rekindled my interest in the band, and I went searching for their stuff on CD that I used to have on albums.

Currently reading a Beatles thing that I don't remember the name of, but it gives a LOT of insight to their early days, and my nephew gave me a book about the Police for Christmas that's mainly pics (some very good ones), with a little bio and some quotes thrown in.

So yes, I do read music books! :)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:48 pm

I've got a few Led Zep/Floyd books, and I've read Chris Welch's bio on Yes. I mostly read magazines though; theres one that started about a year ago over here which was a substrate of 'Classic Rock' magazine, called 'Classic Rock Presents Prog'. It's a good mag but Dream Theatre take up a lot of the space, and win all of the polls. I guess thats cos they're one of the few remaining "well-known" prog acts other than unsigned bands or bands that ought to be unsigned...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

tardistraveler wrote:and my nephew gave me a book about the Police for Christmas that's mainly pics (some very good ones), with a little bio and some quotes thrown in.

I have that very same book, Diane. The Police 1978-1983. A lot of really great pictures from the band at their prime. In a way it's rather misleading because there's nothing from 1983, the Synchronicity period, but still a great book nonetheless. Stewart Copeland's new book is great, too.

Music books are pretty much nearly the only ones I read. I have Close To The Edge by Chris Welch, the original and the updated version that came out last year or so and it's the best on Yes, IMO. I also have the Perpetual Change book which has a lot of great pictures and some very obscure ones, especially the one with Eddie Jobson from before the 90125 tour, before Tony Kaye came back. There's one that I have that called "I Hate New Music: A Classic Rock Manifesto." It's a book that some people either love or hate. I love it, even though it's just an opinion-based book, it's an interesting read. Another good one is "Bang Your Head: The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal." Also, check out "Rush: Contents Under Pressure."

As for magazines, I do love the Classic Rock Presents... PROG, but I have a gripe in that I only have the first two issues of it. The Borders bookstore in Hagerstown, MD, about 20 minutes away from where I live, no longer carries it. I wanted to get the third issue because it was mostly dedicated to Rush and it had 5-6 different jackets from different album covers. I don't know how to even go about getting the mag, but the ones I do have are really great and the CD's that come with them are very decent. I occassionally read Rolling Stone, Metal Edge (even though they could definitely use a spell checker in that one), Classic Rock (it seems that the best music magazines are imports), Mojo occassionally, and Hit Parader.

That's about it for me. I love reading comedy books, too. I have George Carlin's "Braindroppings," "Napalm And Silly Putty," and his posthumous "Last Words." I still need to get "When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops?"
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Speaking of magazines, does anyone know what's happened with Progression magazine?

I used to subscribe to it - that lapsed, and I went to their web site last year to resubscribe - haven't gotten anything yet, although the web site appeared to be active, with new mags coming out.

I need to go there and see what's the deal . . .

And one of the Australian Yesfans, Brian Draper, is putting the finishing touches on a new book about Yes in Australia - supposed to have a lot of cool pics. Once it's on the market, I'll post about it here . . .
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Is it supposed another bio or is it just about Yes performing in Australia?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:Is it supposed another bio or is it just about Yes performing in Australia?

Here's what Brian said about it over on Yesfans

"I am in the late stages of publishing a book about the two Yes tours of Australia - should be available this year.

The book will cover their CTTE tour in 1973 and the Full Circle 2003 tour. It includes contemporary reviews, fans reminiscences and excerpts from interviews with the band. It also cover the formation of YesFANZ and the role it played in getting Yes & Roger Dean to Australia in 2003.

It will be around 200 pages text with 20 pages of photos.

I will be self publishing so the number produced will influence price.

At present I envisage a price of $Aud15-20 ($US 12.25-16.30) +pph"

Here's the link to the thread over on YF if anyone wants to read about it. Sounds like Brian is taking a lot of care with this one.

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?t=54643
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Is it possible to fill 200 pages with details on just two tours?
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm

"Australia we're leaving you behind."
I'm sure there is lots to tell, even from only two tours!

If you are into Neil Young I can recommend 'Shakey', a very in-depth biography that when it was published Young threatened to sue the author, even though he seems to have let him get very close during the interviews.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Relayer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 pm

I am quite fond of the writings of Neil Peart, in particular "Ghost Rider" and "Roadshow",
also there is one book in particular that I think every musician/artist/.....well anyone who
who enjoys expressing themselves should check out called "The Inner Game of Music" by
Barry Green.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Was watching the Who marathon Sunday on VH1 Classic - someone mentioned Townshend's biography "Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend" - I'll bet that's an interesting read . . .
tardistraveler

Postby acanais45 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:50 am

Chris2210 wrote:Last music book I read was David Quantick's The White Album which is a witty and insightful look at the period and events around, as well as the music of the Fab's eponymous album. Quantick's favourite, but certainly not mine - for instance his opinion on O-Bla-Di-O-Bla-Da "If you do not like this song mutuelles TNS, you are an enemy of life and joy - you may be Lou Reed". Well I'm not Lou Reed, but he goes on to say "You may also be a Beatle", since apparently, McCartney aside, by the time they came to cut the number they all hated it.

It didn't take me that long... On the other hand I can hardly condemn McCartney as he also contributes 'Blackbird' - which for my dosh is possibly the finest 'simple' song of its era.

All that aside, I'd heartily recommend this book to any fan of the Beatles music or even student of the history of the era.

Everyone can pretend to be a singer, but it is in the soul. It's a gift ! I do not know if you agree with my theory.
acanais45

Return to Other Skylines