Changes in my life and random ramblings...

Changes in my life and random ramblings...

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Well, everybody, it's great to be back here posting again after quite some time. I know it's been a while since I've contributed anything here, but I have dropped by here and there to check out the progress of this site. As the title says, I've had some changes in my life recently and I have a few other things I want to get off my chest as they're on my mind and I think it would be valid to share them with you all.

I got married over Labor Day weekend (Sept. 5) to my beautiful wife Taunya, with whom I've been in a relationship since August of 2007. She means the world to me and I love her very much. We're even considering trying to have kids within the next year. The wedding was beautiful ans the honeymoon was terrific. We went to Virginia Beach and it was pretty much the best week I could ever ask for. The weather was mostly nice, other than than some rain, it was sunny and hot! We got to see the town in all it glory. There were a lot of events going on (jazz festivals, blues festivals, a parade, unfortunately no prog festivals. LOL) and we did a HELL of a lot shopping and eating out, but was worth it. We got to walking on the beach a couple nights into our honeymoon and a funny thing happened: we were walking along and the the tide was coming in and my wife and I were wearing our "just married" flip-flops and we were nearly sucked up by the undercurrent and out of nowhere my wife's "married" flip-flop got sucked under. The ocean ate the flip-flop. Poor thing. We were on our way back to our hotel and she went barefoot. LOL We were able to laugh about it afterwards. Married life, so far, is going well for me. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Another change for me is I recently turned 29. Now, I know it might not be a big deal for some people, but it's strange for me to think that one year from now, I'm going to be 30 years old. It's a strange feeling in that, my life has gone so quickly, it's like it feels like it's been a dream. Hell, a little over a month from now, we start another new decade. Where, oh where has the time gone?! Maybe I'm a little self-concious about my age in that while I'm young, I am getting older and it feels scary at times, because I never know what's going to happen to me when I get older. I try not to worry about it too much, but it's something I just can't ignore. I don't have a steady career or the best-paying job in the world, but I'm trying to do the best that I can and sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough for anyone. Maybe I am worrying too much. It happens. Life happens.

Another change in my life is that I have given up drinking and also trying to work on quitting smoking, a habit I've had since the age of 14. I wasn't an alcoholic, but I did love to indulge beer, and plenty of it. I've gotten into trouble quite a few times because of my excessive drinking, and I admit, it was my own fault. I was a much different when I was drunk, at first I was the funny, joking around, laughing all the time drunk, and then for whatever reason, I became an asshole with a capital A-S-S-H-O-L-E. I wasn't violent at all, just a prick. I said a lot of things that I shouldn't have said to various people, including my own wife and other friends of mine, and some things that weren't mean, just very inappropriate. I just couldn't do it anymore. I love to party, but I'd rather do it with soda instead of beer, although I do love the taste of it.

I've decided to make some changes to better myself. I'm even looking for a new job. I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but when the right job comes along, I'll snatch it up. I just want to be a good person, a good husband, and eventually, a good father.

Now, that being said, it just amazes me how many people we have in this world that are evil. When I say evil, I mean people that are just full of hate, people who are greedy, ignorant, intolerant, racist, homophobic, hypocritical, overly religiously zealous, straight up mean, violent, brutal, you name it. I see so many hard-working people stuggling to make ends meet, but meanwhile professional athletes and Hollywood movie stars piss and moan because they make less than $10 millon per year. Does anyone REALLY need that much money? I don't think so. Granted, people who bust their ass deserve a decent paycheck, but tens of hundreds of millions of dollars? Give me a break!

I see parents who just leave their little 5-6-year-old kids wandering around so they can continue their shopping and whatever else and meanwhile the kid gets lost in the store and it takes over a half-hour for the poor kid to find his/her mommy or daddy because they're too busy gabbing with their friends or stuffing their faces or just plain didn't want to be bothered with the kid. Frankly, if you don't wanna watch the kid, leave him with babysitter or grandparents or whoever! Or if you can't do that, find a better time to do your shopping. It's the least you could do.

I see people who people just because of their sexual orientation or religion or even political leanings. Pathetic! Is this really necessary?! Who cares if people are gay? Leave them alone! What they do and who they are is none of your business. They're just people like you and me.

If there are two things that are really destroying us as a people, they are religion and politics. They are making this world a very uncomfortable place and they're even worse when they're put together. It's just too many people that hate people because of their own insecurities and they take their politics and religion WAY too seriously. There are good and bad things to both sides, regardless of what anyone else says. Shit, why can't we just live and let live?! There are people who preach about tolerating people and loving people, but yet they hate those people because they're gay or Muslim or Jewish or Atheist or Democrat or Republican or just plain different from you.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, this whole thing with the world ending in 2012? It's all bullshit. Always has been. Sure the movie looks interesting, but the overall concept is just laughable, to me, anyway.

I just want to help make this world be a better place, that's not too much to ask, is it? I know this is a long post and if anyone has read this, well, I'm proud of you. It's good to be back here and I'll try to contribute as much as I can, definitely more than before. Some people have time for this, some don't. Life happens. Thanks for reading. :icon_sbig
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Re: Changes in my life and random ramblings...

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I read every word, I agree with pretty much all of it, congratulations, I wish I'd known you were in VA Beach (I live only about 15 - 20 minutes from the actual beach and my oldest son is head cook in a little restaurant down on the beach - Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar), I was probably at one of those festivals you mentioned, and welcome back!!!!!!!!!
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Really glad to see you, Josh, and that you've got positive changes going on!

Regarding 2012 - this article sheds some light about why the Mayan calendar ends then.

http://astrocenter.astrology.msn.com/msn/ArticleAstrologyHomeV2.aspx?sd=20091110>1=21001

Whether or not you believe in astrology, apparently a unique astronomical occurrence will happen 12/21/2012, making the end of a cycle. So, the Mayan calendar running out at that point is the equivalent of my solar year calendar for 2009 running out on 12/31/2009, and no one makes a big to-do about that! LOL I'll just have a NEW one next year . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Really glad to see you, Josh, and that you've got positive changes going on!

Regarding 2012 - this article sheds some light about why the Mayan calendar ends then.

http://astrocenter.astrology.msn.com/msn/ArticleAstrologyHomeV2.aspx?sd=20091110>1=21001

Whether or not you believe in astrology, apparently a unique astronomical occurrence will happen 12/21/2012, making the end of a cycle. So, the Mayan calendar running out at that point is the equivalent of my solar year calendar for 2009 running out on 12/31/2009, and no one makes a big to-do about that! LOL I'll just have a NEW one next year . . . ;)

Yeah, it's the precession [a major astronomical shift/balance-point]- this sort of thing apparently only happens every 26,000 years or so! Being referred to in this instance as 'Eschaton' is often read in astrological circles as the end of time in the sense that it relates to an entirely new era of enlightenment and the blossoming of a spiritual age.

My own best bet as to what will happen on that date is... nothing much. I can see the film of it now: plot revolves around me going to Tescos to pick up some sprouts for the Christmas lunch. The surprise twist ending is that although I've gone through all sorts of trials and tribulations in the seasonal rush to purchase the aforesaid greens, no-one in attendance on the day actually likes brussels. I know it doesn't sound too promising but a reasonable director could probably do more with it than the latest Emerich mindless fodder.

Nice to hear your news Josh - and your life reappraisal sounds promising - as does your general outlook. I did read it all and it sounds like pretty sound philosophy to me. Unfortunately we have to have politics [I think it was Rouseau who said something along the lines of: "breathing is a political action"], but when it becomes a dogma, it's like any other form of prejudice. I think it's the same if you strip the humanity out of anything - it's an excuse for idle people not to have to think and not to have to empathise.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby thehallway » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:50 pm

That article was good. I feel enlightened already!

I don't actually know ANYONE who does believe that the world will end in 2012, but people love to gossip about it anyway. As with most controversial issues, you always get the cynics who say it's bollocks, and the 'spirituals' who come up with some vaguely plausible and generally confusing solution. I don't think anyone actually fears the end of the world.

The end of the world as we know it perhaps...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

thehallway wrote:The end of the world as we know it perhaps...

. . . and I feel fine . . . ;)

And Chris, if you had to film MY life as of that date, I'd probably be at work, preparing for a weekend of Christmas last-minute errands . . .

What an exciting film! See me checking e-mail, and going to my weekly meeting with our telephone billing group! Maybe working on a data flow diagram . . . ooh . . . :p
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:I read every word, I agree with pretty much all of it, congratulations, I wish I'd known you were in VA Beach (I live only about 15 - 20 minutes from the actual beach and my oldest son is head cook in a little restaurant down on the beach - Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar), I was probably at one of those festivals you mentioned, and welcome back!!!!!!!!!

I saw that place, but unfortunately I didn't get to go. Maybe next time. It was so beautiful there, my wife and I didn't want to leave.

Thinking of 2012, if anything does happen, then it'll happen, but I think it was just some made-up hype to scare people.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Well hello there sir! I too haven't been active here much at all the last 5 years or so despite a couple random pop-ins. Good to hear things are going well for ya man everything's lookin' aces for ya so far!

Dude AMEN on the being flabbergasted at 30 thing. I can relate this coming June I'll be officially old too hahah j/k. I'm kinda excited for it though.

TOTAL ECHOES on the drinking. Same things been happenin' to me dude. It was fine for a while but the slop kept getting worse or it would just make me fall asleep hahaha. PATCH dude if u wanna quit smokin', and st johns wort. Switch to tea only if youre a coffee drinker and only water or juice besides that! It works. ;-)
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Whoa, ERIC!! Howdy do, Sir! I've missed your input here and your irreverent wit... I hope you make your drop-ins more frequent again!
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 am

I tried the patch but it tore the skin off my lips. LOL All kidding aside, 30 doesn't look too bad, just another milestone in this thing called life and I'm only 4 months behind you. The drinking thing hasn't completely gone away. It did for a while, but I only drink in small doses. I've learned to discipline myself in regards to drinking. It's great to see people getting along in here. :)

One thing I have become addicted to is the show NCIS. I can't enough of it. Everything about it, the action, the drama, the suspense, and the humor, just perfect. It's also good to have Mr. Shoop in charge. LOL Who here remembers the movie "Summer School?"
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 pm

EricBliss12345 wrote:Well hello there sir! I too haven't been active here much at all the last 5 years or so despite a couple random pop-ins. Good to hear things are going well for ya man everything's lookin' aces for ya so far!

Dude AMEN on the being flabbergasted at 30 thing. I can relate this coming June I'll be officially old too hahah j/k. I'm kinda excited for it though.

TOTAL ECHOES on the drinking. Same things been happenin' to me dude. It was fine for a while but the slop kept getting worse or it would just make me fall asleep hahaha. PATCH dude if u wanna quit smokin', and st johns wort. Switch to tea only if youre a coffee drinker and only water or juice besides that! It works. ;-)

"When you're 30, you're through . . . " - tagline from the movie "Wild in the Streets" back in the 60's . . . ;)

Guess I've been "through" for about 25 years now!

I can relate about giving up the vices - by the time I was 30 I was using no drugs, and was only an occasional drinker. I recently gave up caffeine again - had stayed off of it for about 10 years, then relapsed a few years back. I've been caffeine-free for about a year now!

Never was a smoker, so I didn't have to kick that one, anyway.

Guess my worst vice these days is the occasional sweet treat . . . :p
tardistraveler

Return to Other Skylines