Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Postby N2yes » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 am

The story is that John Kay's family escaped from East Germany long before the fall of the Berlin Wall. I wonder just how much the face of rock would have changed without the presence of this band named after the famous Herman Hesse novel? "Screamin' Night Hog", "Magic Carpet Ride", "Ball Crusher', "Twisted" and "From Here to There Eventually" are but a few of the more notable numbers. Could John Kay sing? No, but did he need to? Apparently, according to record sales at the time, the answer would be an unequivocal no! What a band!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: Steppenwolf

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:11 pm

N2yes wrote:The story is that John Kay's family escaped from East Germany long before the fall of the Berlin Wall. I wonder just how much the face of rock would have changed without the presence of this band named after the famous Herman Hesse novel? "Screamin' Night Hog", "Magic Carpet Ride", "Ball Crusher', "Twisted" and "From Here to There Eventually" are but a few of the more notable numbers. Could John Kay sing? No, but did he need to? Apparently, according to record sales at the time, the answer would be an unequivocal no! What a band!

One of my favorite novels
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:01 am

John Kay lives in Nashville too...
I've seen him fly by on a Magic Carpet Ride" a few times...

Steppenwolf Live, double album....wow...
I always wanted to listen to it twice on my high school dates... :eek:
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:59 pm

tribute1969 wrote:John Kay lives in Nashville too...
I've seen him fly by on a Magic Carpet Ride" a few times...

Steppenwolf Live, double album....wow...
I always wanted to listen to it twice on my high school dates... :eek:

Have you ever heard the whole story on this album? Not really a "live" album. They simply "added" the applause from other sources. But just the same an amazing collection of songs.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby N2yes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:42 pm

Now, that is interesting!
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 pm

N2yes wrote:Now, that is interesting!

Supposedly recorded live at various concerts in 1970, this double LP (single CD) was actually a studio-created "live" album, with overdubbed crowd noise on top of what are some surprisingly lean and effective live-in-the-studio performances. It isn't half-bad musically, roughly on a par with Happening Live by the Outsiders (another fake live release) for musical value, and it is one of the choicer pop-culture documents of its era, featuring such topical songs as "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" (which opens with an offhanded spoken critique of Operation Intercept, the crackdown on marijuana smuggling instituted by the Nixon administration) and "Draft Resister," and longtime parts of their repertory such as "Tighten up Your Wig," "Corina, Corina," "Power Play," and "The Pusher." The obligatory hits, "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born to Be Wild," are also present, and it is fun listening, featuring essentially the same lineup that recorded the Monster album that preceded it. The guitars of John Kay and Larry Byrom interweave beautifully, and there isn't much excess, even allowing for the presence of a ten-minute version of "Monster." And assuming that the repertory is appealing, listeners should love the longer versions of most of the songs present here, whether they were really live or not. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby N2yes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:20 am

Some early Steppenwolf for any fans out there. Certainly one of my favs. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6aL19rympg
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young