Humble Pie

Humble Pie

Postby N2yes » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Steve Marriott knew he had it in him, but after leaving the Small Faces, he needed that kick the Small Faces couldn't provide him with. To the rescue came the likes of Jerry Shirley on drums, Greg Ridley on bass and to augment Marriott's sound on guitar, a young Peter Frampton joins the band ( he wa actually the co-founder ) Years later, Dave "Clem" Clempson would replace him. What a true powerhouse these guys proved to be. When they did ROCKIN' the FILLMORE, that's just what they did with numbers like "I Walk on Gilded splinters" and "I Don't Need No Doctor".

Numerous releases include;

AS SAFE AS YESTERDAY IS

TOWN AND COUNTRY

HUMBLE PIE

ROCK ON

PERFORMANCE ROCKIN THE FILLMORE

SMOKIN

EAT IT

THUNDERBOX

STREET RATS

ON TO VICTORY

GO FOR THE THROAT

BEST OF HUMBLE PIE

A&M

CLASSICS LIVE VOL 1

A&M

EARLY YEARs

GRIFFIN

THE BEST OF HUMBLE PIE

GRIFFIN

HOT ‘N’ NASTY: THE ANTHOLOGY

And, in 1994. A&M released

KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR PRESENTS: IN CONCERT HUMBLE PIE

20TH CENTURY MASTERS: THE MILLENNIUM COLLECTION

And, in 2000, A&M released

LIVE AT THE WHISKEY A-GO-G0 ‘69

There were numerous other releases, but nothing really to write home about. Long before, Frampton had left as Performance: ROCKIN' THE FILLMORE was ascending the charts. Marriott endeavored to carry on and Humble pie actually remained a viable entity in the rock circuit for years to come, though the band had officially broken up in 1975. However, after Smokin' ( 1972 ) and "Thirty Days in the Hole" were released, things started on a downhill slide for Marriott and crew. A house fire in Essex tragically ended the career of Steve Marriott.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: Humble Pie

Postby Haze » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:55 pm

The former Small Faces guitarist/singer Steve Marriott was, for me, the driving force behind Humble Pie. Although N2 got the listing right - may I put a personal emphasis on the first seven Humble Pie albums - I'm inclined to promote some of his work after the Humble Pie era too: His solo album "Marriott" isn't that bad, but more than that the concerts with his eighties band The Packet of Three are really back there with the old glory! There is an official video recording from a concert in England with this band... I don't know if it's released on DVD? Anyone who knows?

And yes; he died tragically from smoking in bed at his home in 1991, at the age of 44.
Haze

Charter Member

Postby N2yes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:30 am

You know, Haze, I had the rare privilidge to see this band way back ( can't even remember...sad isn't it? ) and Clempson had already taken over for Frampton and they rocked the house! It is a concert I will not soon forget! Marriott was such a dynamic front man! University of Richmond in Virginia....seems like eons ago!
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:33 am

Oh, and regarding the DVD release, check out the website for additional info;

http://www.humble-pie.net/.. is essentially, a tribute to Steve Marriott. Just checked out that link...some sort of unusual asterisk in front of the http, so it is apparently not easy to get to. Just hit the browser and type in Humble Pie and it will bring you to, "Steve Marriott-Humble Pie--Keeping the Memory of Marriott Alive. That should do it.

Haze, I was so intrigued by your question regarding the concert, I went back and checked that site out pretty thoroughly to no avail. All sorts of clips of him in the Small Faces, Humble pie action, close-ups of Marriott ( kinda small ), a brief little diddy by Frampton on his regard for the late Marriott. Will keep looking.
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby stinky britches » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:43 am

Rockin' The Fillmore kicks arse!!!

I rate this one as an essential rock album
stinky britches

Postby tribute1969 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:16 am

Saw HP with PFrampton and Black Oak Arkansas on same night...
Greensboro, NC
I remember have some pie that was just dandy after the show too....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:00 am

I’ve only ever had Performance: Rockin’ The Fillmore…but what a live album it is! In fact, I’m going to play the side long, I Walk On Guilded Splinters, right now. As far as I know, none of their studio albums matched up to this, but I have always fancied, say, Rock On. Any views?
sound_chaser

Postby N2yes » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:38 am

For this band, far too many to mention. ; )
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young