The Doobie Bothers (without Michael McDonald )

The Doobie Bothers (without Michael McDonald )

Postby N2yes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:03 pm

Poor Tom. Couldn't quite kick the habit. Still, this band was yet another super-influential group with a ton of hits, all not meant to be. From the first self-titled lp to WHAT WERE ONCE VICES ARE NOW HABITS, these guys played their hearts out. It was pretty much all original stuff thanks to the crack line-up of Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmonds. Song after song after song seemed to drift into the popular mainstream even if they didn't really want it to. "Eyes of Silver" from WHAT WERE ONE VICES ARE NOW HABITS is certainly on of my favs! This goes without mention the myriad of other truly great songs like, "Listen to the Music", "Cottonmouth" and "Rockin' Down the Highway"---all from Toulouse Street. "Clear as the Driven Snow" from THE CAPTAIN and ME, along with "Long Train Runnin'", "China Grove" and the rockinest cut of all, "Evil Woman". What a great effort! From What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits emeged such tunes as,"Daughters of the Sea", "the more gentle and with incredibly mass appeal, "Another Park Another Sunday", "Spirit" and "You Just Can't stop it". Even "Blackwater", a rather loose but different sound helped propel them to fame. Regardless of Patrick simmionds input, the show was all about Johnston and his ability to both play and sing that really did the trick for them.
With Johnston constantly in rehab, the popularity of the band forced them to keep on keeping on regardless and lo and behold, enter Michael McDonald form Steely Dan and a few others who drastically altered their style. Several subsequent albums were released, none even touching on the magic they had with Johnston at the helm and before too long, this band, with so much promise, fell out of the proverbial herd. That's okay, though for they surely made their mark, a lasting one indeed!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: The Doobie Bothers (without Michael McDonald )

Postby frankh » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:30 am

Yep.

Actually, they were just in town, and I missed 'em...

Been thinking of The Doobies alot, lately, for some odd reason...

Listen To The Music was one of the great "feel good" tunes of all time.Always managed to get me smilin'.

Jesus Is Just Alright With Me.What a great song!

Although not always enamored with their work, they are the kind of band that we don't really see anymore- pop sensibilities with artistic abilities.And, they could rock!
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 am

N2yes wrote:Poor Tom. Couldn't quite kick the habit. Still, this band was yet another super-influential group with a ton of hits, all not meant to be. From the first self-titled lp to WHAT WERE ONCE VICES ARE NOW HABITS, these guys played their hearts out. It was pretty much all original stuff thanks to the crack line-up of Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmonds. Song after song after song seemed to drift into the popular mainstream even if they didn't really want it to. "Eyes of Silver" from WHAT WERE ONE VICES ARE NOW HABITS is certainly on of my favs! This goes without mention the myriad of other truly great songs like, "Listen to the Music", "Cottonmouth" and "Rockin' Down the Highway"---all from Toulouse Street. "Clear as the Driven Snow" from THE CAPTAIN and ME, along with "Long Train Runnin'", "China Grove" and the rockinest cut of all, "Evil Woman". What a great effort! From What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits emeged such tunes as,"Daughters of the Sea", "the more gentle and with incredibly mass appeal, "Another Park Another Sunday", "Spirit" and "You Just Can't stop it". Even "Blackwater", a rather loose but different sound helped propel them to fame. Regardless of Patrick simmionds input, the show was all about Johnston and his ability to both play and sing that really did the trick for them.
With Johnston constantly in rehab, the popularity of the band forced them to keep on keeping on regardless and lo and behold, enter Michael McDonald form Steely Dan and a few others who drastically altered their style. Several subsequent albums were released, none even touching on the magic they had with Johnston at the helm and before too long, this band, with so much promise, fell out of the proverbial herd. That's okay, though for they surely made their mark, a lasting one indeed!

I'm showing my TV sensibilities with this observation but what the heck. Who remembers the TV show with the kid named "RERUN" who took a tape recorder into the Doobie Brothers concert and taped it. Only to get "busted" by the band for bootlegging their music. It was a pretty lame TV show overall and I don't know why I just happen to be watching this particular episode. But there was great cut or two that the band played (live or lipsync?)
On a personal note one of the bands that used to play for school dances always opened with China Grove.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:11 am

Now here's another band that I've always liked, without actually hearing any of their albums. Interesting to read N2's summary and thanks for bumping them back up my wants list. I've got to mention Michael McDonald though, as I always loved his vocal on What A Fool Believes. I know others find him cheesy, but I have to say, his backing vocals for Steely Dan were just amazing. I even bought his greatest hits album, Sweet Freedom, on vinyl back in the day.
sound_chaser

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:20 pm

happytheman wrote:I'm showing my TV sensibilities with this observation but what the heck. Who remembers the TV show with the kid named "RERUN" who took a tape recorder into the Doobie Brothers concert and taped it. Only to get "busted" by the band for bootlegging their music. It was a pretty lame TV show overall and I don't know why I just happen to be watching this particular episode. But there was great cut or two that the band played (live or lipsync?)
On a personal note one of the bands that used to play for school dances always opened with China Grove.

"Rerun"? Wasn't he in "What's Happening?"

I didn't see that episode, but I can relate to sneaking in that tape recorder . . . ;)

I enjoyed the early Doobie's music . . . "Jesus Is Just Allright" is about the only Christian-themed rock song I like . . . lol . . . it made Jesus seem like a pretty accessible dude . . .
tardistraveler

Return to When Rock Was Young