It's a Beautiful Day

It's a Beautiful Day

Postby N2yes » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:10 am

unusual name for a group that was way ahead of itself. Songs like "White Bird" from the self-titled lp and "Bulgaria" were very progressive at the time. Their 2nd lp, MARRYING MAIDEN was very well received in and around the San Francisco circuit. A third effort was released but so many changes had occured by that time, the band was really no longer the same. In 2000, they released another effort called WORKING THE GOLD MINE that received acclaim though some of the original members had gone on to other things. Patti Santos, that truly awesome female vocalist that can be heard so clearly in accompaniment with lead singer David La Flamme, sadly passed from this life far too early in the band's career ( 1989 ). Critics would rightfully say that pretty much ended their career. Still, La Flamme has tried to keep it alive. I bring this band to the attention of all because they were really on the progressive circuit and never received the significant acclaim they deserved.
Does anyone even remember them? Believe it or not, they were there on Cream's Goodbye tour.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: It's a Beautiful Day

Postby happytheman » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:02 pm

N2yes wrote:unusual name for a group that was way ahead of itself. Songs like "White Bird" from the self-titled lp and "Bulgaria" were very progressive at the time. Their 2nd lp, MARRYING MAIDEN was very well received in and around the San Francisco circuit. A third effort was released but so many changes had occured by that time, the band was really no longer the same. In 2000, they released another effort called WORKING THE GOLD MINE that received acclaim though some of the original members had gone on to other things. Patti Santos, that truly awesome female vocalist that can be heard so clearly in accompaniment with lead singer David La Flamme, sadly passed from this life far too early in the band's career ( 1989 ). Critics would rightfully say that pretty much ended their career. Still, La Flamme has tried to keep it alive. I bring this band to the attention of all because they were really on the progressive circuit and never received the significant acclaim they deserved.
Does anyone even remember them? Believe it or not, they were there on Cream's Goodbye tour.

I mentioned this in the Jefferson Airplane thread, for the benifit of those ... David has an "incarnaton" of the band touring this summer with the "Summer of Love" tour. They are a tight unit. Davids "new" wife sounds as good as Linda ever did with the original band. Highlights from the night was when David joined Paul Kantner and the current singer with Big Brothers Holding Company (who incidentaly sounds like a carbon copy of Janis) and David Freiberg from Quicksilvers Messengers Service for an awesome version of "While my guitar gently weeps".
I have two other releases from It's a Beautiful Day, "Choice Quality Stuff" which is super as well as "Live at Carnegie Hall" which is top notch as well. David has put out several solo albums. A bit of trivia for those interested. When it came down to picking acts for Woodstock, there was a drawing of straws for the last act to be picked. The choices were It's a Beautiful Day and Santana. Kinda makes you wonder what the extra exposure would have done for this band. I think Carlos would have cut a path either way and made it (though Woodstock didn't hurt is career!).
happytheman

Charter Member

Re: It's a Beautiful Day

Postby sound_chaser » Thu May 01, 2008 8:35 pm

The eponymous debut was a late period psychedelic classic. White Bird, of course, was the stand out, but the album hung together very well as a whole. Bombay Calling, inspired Deep Purple and they slowed down the riff to make Child In Time. The second album wasn’t quite as good, but the pastiche that was Don & Dewey was absolutely brilliant.
sound_chaser

Return to When Rock Was Young