[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - The Beach Boys

The Beach Boys

The Beach Boys

Postby N2yes » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 am

Never a big fan of theirs, but I cannot deny what is the truth. All-American material with vocals and harmonies that were just amazing. Their pop leanings really didin't do it for me, but God they could sing!!!!!!!!!! To boot, I have to admit, some of their tunes were pretty 'catchy'. I am not going to immortalize them but if any of you are fans, please don't hesitate and post your feelings of a positive vibe.
These guys rode the wave of early American rock n' roll and I will not deny them that credit which they righteously deserve.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: The Beach Boys

Postby happytheman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:30 pm

happytheman

Charter Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sat May 17, 2008 7:43 pm

sound_chaser

Postby sound_chaser » Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am

This is how highly I rate Pet Sounds: In my collection, I have literally hundreds and hundreds of albums, in the form of CD, vinyl, cassette and mini-disc. And through friends and the radio, I have heard hundreds more. But of all those albums, most don’t match up to the sheer excellence of Pet Sounds. Quite a few are not too far off. And a rarefied few are as good. But, and I can’t stress this highly enough, I don’t own and have never heard an album that is better. If you’re interested in collecting the landmark albums and don’t own this, then do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy. Live with it for a while…and then bathe in its luxurious aural glow!
sound_chaser

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm

When I first became 'musically aware' (in the sense of searching out music of my own volition, around puberty), The Beatles and The Beach Boys were both 'those old bands'. The reputation of the latter at that time (early 70's) was that they were washed up and a little naff. Their seeming naivete and simplicity (which belied so much) put them out of time.

But my older brother had '20 Golden Greats' and I would spin that myself from time to time. I always loved (and still do) Breakaway, which in my view is an under-celebrated gem. It has those qualities which for me will always make the best of The Beach Boys (particularly Brian Wilson's compositions) amongst those songs I adore as much as any songs from the modern era. It has that incredible beauty of harmony, combined with a wistful longiness that is sad and sublime. There's a deeply spirtual quality about it and it moves me profoundly. There is something about the theme and mood of The Beach Boys which seems to evoke a pure and innocent era that probably never existed in reality. But we could all wish that it did.

As for finding an album that is better than Pet Sounds... I'd cite Smile. Had that been actually released in 1967, I think the history of rock music may have had a subtly different shape. Great, great, great music.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:08 pm

sound_chaser

Return to When Rock Was Young