The Beatles

The Beatles

Postby N2yes » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 am

So you think I was going to leave these guys out, eh? Not a chance. Still, there is so much to say, where do I begin? I do know that George Harrison was my personal fav and his passing really affected me. Yet, it was the unmistakable songwriting duo of Lennon and McCartney that created this musical phenomenon. So many lps and so many singles to mention..."Taxman", "Come Together', "Hey Jude", "Penny Lane", "Back in the U.S.S.R."...and the list goes on.
Was it destiny that brought them together? Surely it was more than just the tumbling of dice. I think this is what has always intrigued me. Such notoriety for human beings no less human than you are I and still look at what they achieved. I think I''ll keep this one to a minimum thinking others may wish to chime in. But hey, I've been kinda hoping for that already. Tells your take on the fab four. ( is that cliche' now a days? ) ; )
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: The Beatles

Postby happytheman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:21 pm

N2yes wrote:So you think I was going to leave these guys out, eh? Not a chance. Still, there is so much to say, where do I begin? I do know that George Harrison was my personal fav and his passing really affected me. Yet, it was the unmistakable songwriting duo of Lennon and McCartney that created this musical phenomenon. So many lps and so many singles to mention..."Taxman", "Come Together', "Hey Jude", "Penny Lane", "Back in the U.S.S.R."...and the list goes on.
Was it destiny that brought them together? Surely it was more than just the tumbling of dice. I think this is what has always intrigued me. Such notoriety for human beings no less human than you are I and still look at what they achieved. I think I''ll keep this one to a minimum thinking others may wish to chime in. But hey, I've been kinda hoping for that already. Tells your take on the fab four. ( is that cliche' now a days? ) ; )

John has always been my fav. However I too am continually fascinated with every book I read every interview I come across as to just how the coming together of these 4 individuals changed so much of what I know in my life time. I know John always downplayed the whole Beatlemania etc. with quotes like "We were just a band that got very, very big."
Not too long ago I read somewhere that Dylan was quoted as saying that Paul McCartney was the one person that he truly look to as an inspiration over all other musicians in his life time. That's pretty powerful stuff coming from a songwriter of Dylans calibur.
The Beatles in my opinion were the Best by a long shot when you look at the whole music scene from when they entered it till the present day. No one has come close to touching the impact that they have had. Anyone who has not seen the Anthology DVD set owes it to themselves to watch it. Incredible collection. Again, this should set the standard for all the "other" DVD's out there covering the history of any particular band.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby elminster06 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:02 am

I've learn to listen to music with the beatles, before them only commercial radio and new kids on the block. lol. what a shame.they are really one if not the greatest band of our era.

The greatest thing about The Beatles his how inovative they were.
They going always further in their style trying new sound, new instrument, and well there were time at the beggining they were composing song just to play a new chord they learned. And its the only band i know that they were changing style and at the same time staying true to themselve.

god bless the beatles.
elminster06

Postby N2yes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:33 am

Welcome to YEStalk, Elminster 06! We're glad to have join us. Appreciate your input!
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:10 am

I am suprised that this one fell so far to the end I was about to start a Beatles thread then I found this

I loved john and George so much but pauls undeniable ability to write wonderfull songs did kind of put him in the spotlight as a solo artist
sort of the common man of the beatles as John and George were seen as being a bit "FAR OUT" thats one of the things i love about those 2
its too bad that they were only together for 10 years "Imagine" what boundries of progressive psycedlic rock and pop and experimental stuff they all could have come up with had they remained together
I think had john lived and george lived a little longer that there wouldve been some sort of project featuring all 4 of them .I love all the music and all the personalities involved . they were my first musical obsession
way back in ......19.................76 lol
but even though they were allready broken up for 6 or 7 years by that time they were still like today , played all the time although a little more variety was played back then like with all the big named bands of the 60s and 70s I miss those 2 guys alot the world was a better place with John Lennon and George Harrison in it!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:57 pm

The Beatles were my musical obsession as a teenager and George Harrison is the sole reason I wanted to play guitar. In most of my gigs I play at least one of his songs as a tribute and thank-you to him. He was and still is my inspiration in so many ways.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:01 am

A walk down Penny...er, i mean memory lane. Should bring back a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOsi6gPvDs
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:18 pm

For my first post as moderator of this forum, I’m going to nail my colours to the mast right away and say that, for me, nothing and nobody comes before The Beatles: they are the be all and end all. I kind of see rock music as everything before The Beatles and everything after: that’s how highly I rate them. I feel very lucky to have lived through the era, even if I was a toddler when they hit the big time with Please Please Me. And the trajectory they made from Love Me Do in 1962, to Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day In The Life in 1967 is without parallel and astonishes me still when I think about it. I live and breathe The Beatles and I look forward to many lively discussions about them particularly over the weeks, months and years to come.
sound_chaser

Postby ImstillYesmam » Sun May 04, 2008 5:27 am

I don't know if I can articulate how I feel about the Beatles. Their whole body of work has never been nor will ever be equaled. John was always me favorite (I think everyone has a fav. beatle, don't they?) his death was as stunning to me as it was for everyone else I think. George's dying was just so damn sad. I have to be honest and admit that I don't know WHAT to make of Paul McCartney any more. And RINGO!! I see Ringo every time he tours and can't help but love him, he always brings great guests with him, sings the old songs, some Beatle stuff and some of his solo stuff and he always is entertaining!!

The world is a much better place of the Beatles having been in it.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]
ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sun May 04, 2008 8:45 am

ImstillYesmam wrote:I don't know if I can articulate how I feel about the Beatles. Their whole body of work has never been nor will ever be equaled. John was always me favorite (I think everyone has a fav. beatle, don't they?) his death was as stunning to me as it was for everyone else I think. George's dying was just so damn sad. I have to be honest and admit that I don't know WHAT to make of Paul McCartney any more. And RINGO!! I see Ringo every time he tours and can't help but love him, he always brings great guests with him, sings the old songs, some Beatle stuff and some of his solo stuff and he always is entertaining!!

The world is a much better place of the Beatles having been in it.

I think, in the past, I would probably have gone for Paul, because he had a more natural gift for melody, whereas John’s strongpoint was to be found in his lyrics...and I’ve always been more of a melody man. But, for a long time now, I’ve seen all four of them as equals that cannot be seperated. As for not knowing what to make of Paul now, well I can see where you’re coming from, because his solo career has been so chequered. And yet, he does have a rich body of work and amongst all of those albums, there are some real gems that shine as brightly as anything he did in his Fab Four days.

Here are five Macca albums that really should be in any rock fans collection, because they are so special: Ram, Band On The Run, Flowers In The Dirt, Flaming Pie and Chaos & Creation In The Backyard. The last one, particularly, didn’t seem to do so well and yet, it really is an absolute gem, with McCartney at his most brutally honest: the songs are so great that I really can’t praise them highly enough.

The most recent album: Memory Almost Full, was hailed as a return to form, but I don’t see why? What it is, is a return to the thumbs aloft, hide-behind-a-mask persona that McCartney has always done so well. I’ll tell you what though: it isn’t a patch on Chaos & Creation, which is a classic album if ever I heard one…it just needs a few plays to get under your skin.
sound_chaser

Postby john mccleary » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:18 pm

As a bass player my older brother turned me on to Paul.As a young man I thought he was really good.But when I heard Chris and Getty that was it.I do like the White album and Abbey road the best.Just a thought. :) [:yes] .
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:09 pm

I can't write a simple response to this - The Beatles are so big as a phenomenon that you have to break it down in some way.

I really don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the body of work from those eight or so years overshadows everything else is in some way - and I'd include in that Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Elvis Presley, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra. Not that I'm saying that the music itself was leagues better than that of many others; but it's so difficult to separate the Band, the music, the era and social and culutral sea-change of those times that was bound up in, encapsulated and reflected by the 'Fab Four'. Four working class (or at least lower-middle class, dependng on your perspective), who emerged from a time when people like that could not aspire to any great significance; and yet they became not just symbols, but active articulators of the transformation of society from a more rigid social order to the magnificent possibilities the sixties seemed to open up.

So that is without mentioning the music... (and clearly that's at the heart of what the Beatles are). How do you begin to even scratch the surface of all that?
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Chris2210 wrote: How do you begin to even scratch the surface of all that?

Anywhere you want to start, I’m game. But as an idea, how about the phenomenal period of growth from the onset of Beatlemania from She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand, through A Hard Days Night, Beatles For Sale and Help and up to Rubber Soul? What an exciting period that was. I remember seeing the Royal Variety performance, as well as seeing them on Morecombe & Wise and it’s been fantastic seeing those performances again on the Anthology series. And the Shea stadium show was exceptional as well wasn’t it, if only to see sheer madness of it all. And doesn’t A Hard Days Night stand up incredibly well as a document of the times? Fantastic stuff! Here I am, getting carried away again. Look, you choose and I’ll follow.
sound_chaser

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm

as pleasant as the earliar work was,and i love it all
pretty much everything after rubber soul blew me away
now i just take it for granted
but when you think about it it's pretty incedible
i can see what chris is saying where do you start
without almost talking about each song individually and the leaps and bounds of which the fabs grew even on into many of the solo records
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:22 pm

Speaking of the Beatles for Fathers Day my oldest daughter gave me "The Beatles complete discography". What a wonderful gem. Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know about the 4 lads from Liverpool.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:02 am

Speaking of the Beatles, my sister and I watched Across The Universe yesterday. Eh. It was quite the visual experience, but I'd have to say without the Beatles songs backing it up the whole way, the movie itself really lacked substance. x_x I was sad, too, I was hoping it would be really spectacular. Or something. The songs didn't even fit that well, and were a little weirdly placed IMO. Then again, it gave me yet another great and interesting perspective on the Beatles catalog... it's amazing what different directions can be taken on all of those individual songs. That being said, I much prefer that older Beatles musical, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" from 1978... loved that one. :p
Kalingzeye

Postby yesman90125 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 am

Kalingzeye wrote:Speaking of the Beatles, my sister and I watched Across The Universe yesterday. Eh. It was quite the visual experience, but I'd have to say without the Beatles songs backing it up the whole way, the movie itself really lacked substance. x_x I was sad, too, I was hoping it would be really spectacular. Or something. The songs didn't even fit that well, and were a little weirdly placed IMO. Then again, it gave me yet another great and interesting perspective on the Beatles catalog... it's amazing what different directions can be taken on all of those individual songs. That being said, I much prefer that older Beatles musical, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" from 1978... loved that one. :p

oh yeah with frampton and the bee-gees right
yeah some of those versions were popular at the time
i seem to remeber elton john's version of lucy in the sky with diamonds getting a fair bit of airplay back then
as well as aerosmith doing come together
i havn't watched that movie in like forever
but i do seem to remember not understanding it very well
i've heard different things about the across the universe movie some rave about it and some don't get it
i appreciate hearing your perspective
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:41 am

Yeah, I dunno. Liked what they did with the songs, but it didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

And HECK yes. That old(ish) movie was played a lot on Comcast's free movie networks... like this past year or so... and I've watched it a few times. At first I didn't get it either, but after watching it all the way through I really started liking it. It was a bit more representative of the Beatles' work, I felt, too, although a little more abstract. Perhaps that's why it seemed to fit more? Plus it had SO many people I love in it, lol~~~ Frampton, the BeeGees, Steve Martin, Earth Wind & Fire, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper... plus sooooo many more suprise cameos. Loved it for that... :D I guess I found that movie to be more like an homage to the Beatles than anything else, while Across The Universe felt like it was trying to be ambitious, but it just wasn't quite enough. Great music, though~ ;)
Kalingzeye

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 am

What's with this Across the Universe thing...a documentary, or something? I remember when the Sgt. Pepper film came out, but it was slammed so badly, that I've never got around to watching it. I'll have to keep an eye out for both those things. Lucy In The Sky did very well for Elton in the UK as well, as did his version of Pinball Wizard, that he did for the film of The Who's Tommy.
sound_chaser

Postby Kalingzeye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm

sound_chaser wrote:What's with this Across the Universe thing...a documentary, or something? I remember when the Sgt. Pepper film came out, but it was slammed so badly, that I've never got around to watching it. I'll have to keep an eye out for both those things. Lucy In The Sky did very well for Elton in the UK as well, as did his version of Pinball Wizard, that he did for the film of The Who's Tommy.

Oh, you didn't hear much about it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Across_the_Universe_(film)
Came out last year-ish, and made a lot of news (in the US at least).
It was just a musical some people made up using all Beatles music.
Very, very visual film. Sorta reminiscent of Moulin Rouge, etc.
But didn't really have to do with the Beatles other than the songs.
But if you're a big fan, it's probably at least worth renting or downloading~ :p

Did that Sgt. Pepper film get bashed? :D Lol, I can probably understand that. It was weird (but I do like weird, haha). I mainly liked it because of all the cameos, though, lol~ It's fun to point out all the random old-school celebs n stuff.
Kalingzeye

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Anywhere you want to start, I’m game. But as an idea, how about the phenomenal period of growth from the onset of Beatlemania from She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand, through A Hard Days Night, Beatles For Sale and Help and up to Rubber Soul? What an exciting period that was. I remember seeing the Royal Variety performance, as well as seeing them on Morecombe & Wise and it’s been fantastic seeing those performances again on the Anthology series. And the Shea stadium show was exceptional as well wasn’t it, if only to see sheer madness of it all. And doesn’t A Hard Days Night stand up incredibly well as a document of the times? Fantastic stuff! Here I am, getting carried away again. Look, you choose and I’ll follow.

I used to think the early Beatles was fairly unremarkable stuff - more notable as a starting point for what they became than for what it was of itself. My perspective on that has changed as I've got older and come to appreciate the merits of simpler musical forms.

There was a documentary series by Howard Goodall (a well respected British musicologist for those who don't know the name) that was absolutely fabulous in its insights on the musical development of the fabs. It seems even from their earliest days they were experimenting with form and approach. Each of the numbers it was pushing the envelope in one way or another, whether it be in novelty of chord progression, viewpoint of the song, harmonic mixtures and so on. By the time they had got to the soundscapes of Revolver and Sgt Pepper they were at the bleeding edge of music in general. They were amongst the first to utilise the cross cultural reference to Indian music in particular and they were borrowing the idea of tape loops from people like Stockhausen as well as playing with a fair old dollop of dissonance. Goodall characterises their development and inventiveness as 'dazzling'.

But you could look even further back and just examine the Beatles as a performing group. I had an argument a while back with a morrissey fan (from another forum) who didn't have much respect for the Beatles. One of the major planks of his argument was that they were not a 'live act' (in that they didn't tour after 65 and there aren't any official live albums). But on the contrary, well before they had a recording contract they had built up a formidable reputation on the strength of their live performances - honed of course on the punishing schedules of a house band in the Hamburg clubs. Hear any of the bootleg from that time and even through the ropey sound you can hear how incredibly tight they were.

Whilst perhaps none of them were virtuoso standard (although as an incredibly capable musician McCartney was able to exert a colossal influence on generations of serious bass players), they were all very accomplished - and I think Harrison in particular is seriously underrated as a guitarist.

Vocally, whilst none of them were exceptional singers, they could all 'carry a tune' and combined to produce very impressive vocal arrangements - unmatched in their subsequent solo work, IMO.

I'd definitely recommend the Goodall documentary to anyone interested in music or social history. Enough for now.
Chris2210

Postby sound_chaser » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 am

Chris, I realised that I hadn’t replied to the above post and the main reason for that, was that I hadn’t seen the Howard Goodall series you spoke of…much to my regret, I might add. But looking at this post again, I had the bright idea of looking on Youtube. And sure enough, all six parts of it were there. Obviously, I have always been aware of the classical music connections with Beatles music, but I just wasn’t able to talk about it intellectually. But that’s never been a problem, because The Beatles weren’t either. I remembered a famous quote from Lennon saying that Aeolian cadences sounded like exotic birds to him. I looked on the internet and found this information:

“In many ways the songs of the Beatles are exemplary for the musical innovations the British beat explosion wrought onto the domain of popular music in the sixties. With their music the British groups forged a highly original combination out of the erstwhile separate elements of other musical styles, which quickly evolved to become a full-blown style of its own: the music we nowadays know as pop or rock music. The Beatles stood at the front-lines of this artistic movement and their songs offer worthwhile material for those who want to know more about the musical characteristics of rock music. And, there's help for those who want to study these songs. Since 1989 everyone can look for assistance on the internet in the Notes on ... Series, written by the American musicologist Alan W. Pollack on each and every Beatles' song.

Chains of pan-diatonic clusters. Think yourself back to the city of London at the end of the year 1963 and meanwhile keep in mind that the virus of Beatlemania at that moment still was restricted to the British Isles and beat music was seen as music for adolescent boys and girls. Then and there only a few adults took the sound of the four Beatles seriously. Yet there were some who did and among them there was at least one real musicologist. If you had been there on the right day and you had bought the distinguished British paper The Times, out of the first hand you could have read an extensive musicological article devoted to the Beatles. This early assessment was full of praise for their musical accomplishments, but also phrased in a kind of learned musicological language that contrasted sharply with the self-concept of the rising youth culture. Read the next quote to know what the author heard in songs, most young people in those days just danced or sat down to listen to.

"Their noisy items are the ones that arouse teenagers' excitement. Glutinous crooning is generally out of fashion these days, and even a song about "Misery" sounds fundamentally quite cheerful; the slow, sad song about "That Boy", which figures prominently in Beatle programmes, is expressively unusual for its lugubrious music, but harmonically it is one of their most intriguing, with its chains of pan-diatonic clusters, and the sentiment is acceptable because voiced cleanly and crisply. But harmonic interest is typical of their quicker songs too, and one gets the impression that they think simultaneously of harmony and melody, so firmly are the major tonic sevenths and ninths built into their tunes, and the flat submediant key switches, so natural is the Aeolian cadence at the end of "Not a Second Time" (the chord progression which ends Mahler's "Song of the Earth")."

From our Music Critic. "Chains of pan-diatonic clusters", "major tonic sevenths and ninths" and "Aeolian cadences", all these qualifications seem to be far removed from the daily experiences and expressive motives of the buyers of the early Beatles' records. Though the article was regarded as a kind of official recognition of popular music, many people — including the Beatles themselves — made fun of it. John Lennon himself mockingly said, he thought Aeolian cadences to be some kind of "exotic birds". The piece was neutrally signed "From our Music Critic", but is commonly ascribed to William Mann, the regular music critic of the London paper at that time. But whoever wrote the commentary, he was not the last serious musicologist trying to get hold of the musical peculiarities of the Beatles' songs. As rock music was to become a major cultural force, others were to follow.”

This is the source of the above information: http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOLUME01/A_Beatles_Odyssey.shtml

As Yes fans, the final line in that piece “As rock music was to become a major cultural force, others were to follow.” is of profound importance. Listen carefully to The Beatles songs of 1965/6/7 and then the first Yes album, to see how vital The Beatles were, not only to Yes, but the whole progressive rock movement that was to follow. The Howard Goodall series is fascinating viewing for all and especially, Yes fans. Thanks to Chris for the heads up on this and for everyone else here, check the link to the first part and you'll find another five parts there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zddh5Vp-ApI&feature=related
sound_chaser

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Fabulous post Richard. I'd also like to thank you for finding that link to the Goodall. I've started watching again (what a fabulous resource YouTube is). I'd recommend anyone to give them a look. Great stuff.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:57 pm

sound_chaser wrote:For my first post as moderator of this forum, I’m going to nail my colours to the mast right away and say that, for me, nothing and nobody comes before The Beatles: they are the be all and end all. I kind of see rock music as everything before The Beatles and everything after: that’s how highly I rate them. I feel very lucky to have lived through the era, even if I was a toddler when they hit the big time with Please Please Me. And the trajectory they made from Love Me Do in 1962, to Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day In The Life in 1967 is without parallel and astonishes me still when I think about it. I live and breathe The Beatles and I look forward to many lively discussions about them particularly over the weeks, months and years to come.

Yep - there was pre-Beatles, and post-Beatles - a defining moment to be sure.

The Beatles were more than a band, they were a social phenomenon to boot. No one has come close since to duplicating their impact. They were the music of the Sixties, and defined/mirrored the changes occurring in society.

I feel fortunate that I was able to grow up during that era. The Beatles are uniquely special to me, and will always be so.
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm

sound_chaser wrote:What's with this Across the Universe thing...a documentary, or something? I remember when the Sgt. Pepper film came out, but it was slammed so badly, that I've never got around to watching it. I'll have to keep an eye out for both those things. Lucy In The Sky did very well for Elton in the UK as well, as did his version of Pinball Wizard, that he did for the film of The Who's Tommy.

Not a documentary - just a story about the Sixties with the Beatles music as the soundtrack . . . I was actually pretty blown away by the thing . . . here's a review I wrote on another site about it.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, it's a tapestry of Beatles music, carefully woven to support a story about life in the Sixties . . . the dialogue is minimal, and the music and visuals (and they are POWERFUL) tell it all!

The characters embody the stereotypes of the Sixties, but in a way that truly pays homage to the times . . . of course ALL of the things portrayed didn't happen to ALL of the people during that time, but as I watched, none of it seemed far-fetched . . . everyone during that time was touched by the things that the characters faced . . . we all knew, or knew of, people who had gone to war and were injured or killed . . . we saw the race drama played out in our own towns . . . and it was all splashed across our TV screens on a daily basis.

The characters . . .

Lucy, an innocent teen compelled to join the anti-war movement after her boyfriend was killed in 'Nam.

Her brother, Max, a free-spirited college dropout who takes up a bohemian lifestyle in New York, before getting drafted.

Their friends, Jude, a Liverpudlian dock worker/artist/pacifist, who jumps ship in America to search for his father, a WWII G. I.; and Prudence, a girl struggling with her sexuality.

Their "landlady", Sadie, a Joplinesque musician working the clubs of New York, along with JoJo, guitarist extraordinnaire, escaping his personal tragedy born of race riots.

Along their way, they encounter radical extremists, the drug scene, the soulless side of the music business, and the war . . . brought into the living room via TV . . . and also find unexpected friendship, camaraderie, and love . . . love is all you need . . .

It's amazing the way the story plays out among the Beatles tunes, which are perfect for the scenes they depict, and the imagery is haunting . . . Strawberry Fields as an anti-war anthem . . . I Want You, as sung by "Uncle Sam" . . . a magnetic and powerful Oh Darling sung by Sadie and JoJo as their relationship hits the rocks . . . Happiness Is a Warm Gun depicting the horrors, and pleasures, found in an Army hospital . . . the musical performances are spot on and VERY well-sung . . .

And on a personal level, I was unexpectedly struck by the suffering that the parents of these folks endured. I could relate on the one level to the young people, and their passions and anger, as someone who had lived the Sixties as a young person. But on another level, I could also relate to the frustrations of the parents in this movie . . . something I don't think I could have done so well before I became a parent myself . . . the mother of Lucy's boyfriend upon hearing that her son was dead . . . Lucy and Max's parents so concerned about the well-being of their children, disraught that Max was leaving college, fearful of Lucy's involvement in protest rallies . . . this is NOT something I thought about at the time . . . parents - the "older" generation - were seen then as the cause of all the things that were wrong in the world, and not as caring, concerned people just worried about their kids. So, I came away from this movie with an additional perspective that others may not get.

There was a lot in the movie that might make you cry . . . the scene that got to me was Lucy, on the phone with her mother prior to a war protest - her mother was so worried about her, and then all chaos erupts around the phone booth where Lucy is calling from . . . the violence of the anti-war movement really got to me . . . so much violence during the Sixties . . . the war, the protests, the assassinations . . . it dredged it all up for me in that instant . . . I had a good cathartic cry at that point . . .
tardistraveler

Postby happytheman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Fabulous post Richard. I'd also like to thank you for finding that link to the Goodall. I've started watching again (what a fabulous resource YouTube is). I'd recommend anyone to give them a look. Great stuff.

You Tube is amazing, a couple weeks ago I spent two hours on a Sunday morning following dozens of links to White Album clips and Let it Be (Get Back) sessions. Amazing versions out there if you look for them.
happytheman

Charter Member

Return to When Rock Was Young