Elton John

Elton John

Postby happytheman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:28 am

Sir Elton Hercules John CBE (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight on 25 March 1947) is a five-time Grammy and one-time Academy Award-winning English pop/rock singer, composer and pianist.

In his four-decade career, John has been one of the dominant forces in rock and popular music, especially during the 1970s. Elton has sold more than 250 million albums plus over one hundred million singles, making him one of the most successful artists of all time. He has more than 50 Top 40 hits including seven consecutive #1 U.S. albums, 59 Top 40 singles, 16 Top 10, 4 #2 hits, and nine #1 hits. His success has had a profound impact on popular music and has contributed to the continued popularity of the piano in rock and roll. In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Elton John #49 on their list of The Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Some of the characteristics of Elton John's music are his ability to quickly craft unique melodies for the lyrics of songwriting partner Bernie Taupin, his rich tenor voice, his classical and gospel-influenced piano, the aggressive orchestral arrangements of Paul Buckmaster among others and the flamboyant fashions and on-stage showmanship, especially evident during the 1970s.

Elton John was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

Love him or hate him you gotta give the guy credit, he knew how to write songs, and I mean a lot of songs. He had his moments where he really hit the nail on the head. I remember first time I heard Funneral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding and the disc jockey said "that was Elton John from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" I could not believe that this was the same guy who wrote Crocodile Rock. My favorite album is Here & There. Second disc has the concert where John Lennon came on stage to perform live for the last time.
happytheman

Charter Member

Re: Elton John

Postby N2yes » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:00 am

"Grey Seal" off GYBR is my personal all time fav.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:46 am

N2yes wrote:"Grey Seal" off GYBR is my personal all time fav.

Either VH1 or VH2 recently did a whole story on Elton. They walked through the entire GYBR album, interviews with Elton, Bernie, Paul Buckmaster. I had read various articles on how Elton had written the whole album at one "swath". However this show called into question a few of my previous assumptions. Such a "varied" album. Every song is different.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:26 am

N2yes wrote:"Grey Seal" off GYBR is my personal all time fav.

Grey Seal is originally from Eltons Empty Sky period, which was his actual first album, originally only released in the UK and availabl as an import in the US. I'm not sure of it's status now. I have it somewhere in my house, on 8-track no less, so that tells you how long it has been since I've listened to it.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:25 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Grey Seal is originally from Eltons Empty Sky period, which was his actual first album, originally only released in the UK and availabl as an import in the US. I'm not sure of it's status now. I have it somewhere in my house, on 8-track no less, so that tells you how long it has been since I've listened to it.

He does a great version on Here and There (the New York side).
Was it "written" during the sessions of Empty Sky? and recorded and just not used on the album? I didn't realize that. I just checked my copy (domestic release) and it isn't listed anywhere on the album. Maybe this was a case of import only.

1 Empty Sky
2. Val-hala
3. Western Ford Gateway
4. Hymn 2000
5. Lady What's Tomorrow
6. Sails
7. Scaffold, The
8. Skyline Pigeon
9. Gulliver / It's Hay Chewed / Reprise
10. Lady Samantha
11. All Across The Havens
12. It's Me That You Need
13. Just Like Strange Rain
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:23 am

happytheman wrote:He does a great version on Here and There (the New York side).
Was it "written" during the sessions of Empty Sky? and recorded and just not used on the album? I didn't realize that. I just checked my copy (domestic release) and it isn't listed anywhere on the album. Maybe this was a case of import only.

1 Empty Sky
2. Val-hala
3. Western Ford Gateway
4. Hymn 2000
5. Lady What's Tomorrow
6. Sails
7. Scaffold, The
8. Skyline Pigeon
9. Gulliver / It's Hay Chewed / Reprise
10. Lady Samantha
11. All Across The Havens
12. It's Me That You Need
13. Just Like Strange Rain

Grey Seal was written during the Empty Sky era, never included on either the US or imported edition of the album.

Oh, I woul love to hear those songs again. I particularly liked the title track, Val-hala, Western Ford Gateway, Lady What's Tomorrow and Skyline Pigeon.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby N2yes » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:03 am

Never was a huge fan of Reginald's. However, that doesn't mean I can't recognize talent when I hear it. "Grey Seal" just really did it for me with that constantly roving piano and superior bass work. A very superbly written song if there ever was one!
Now, thanks to TBC, I have learned something I, of course, never knew. Why release it off GYBR and not MAtW or TC? Curious??? The man's got the rock in him, make no mistake about that.
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 am

There was something about the way EJ arranged his albums that attracted me, that, and the fact that he was a keyboardist, as was I. His orchestral arrangements also intrigued me. EJ used Paul Buckmaster, for a time, who was also on some of Carly Simon's works during the same time period in the early 70s.

I think in some way, the production work on EJ's albubms is almost a precursor to what Tori Amos does today.

And Chris, it's interesting that you note the basswork. I've always thought that Dee Murray, may he rest in peace, is one of rock's most underrated bassists.

On another note here...I too can appreciate talent even if I'm not entirely enamored of of someone's output. Earlier this year, I saw Lindsey Buckingham in concert. I was never a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac, but I had seen a Public Television Soundtage broadcast of a concrtr Lindsey did in 2005 or 2006 and I was thoroughly impressed with the performance he gave, so when he came around, I decided to go with a friend. The man has a HUGE voice, absolutely gigantic. The performance was amazing, even if the songwriting was somewhat simple, which goes to show you that music doesn't always have to be difficult to be good.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby N2yes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:31 am

Dee was so unrecognized a talent, it is likely only a very few knew of his actual prowess. I have to admit, I always thought he was incredible and wondered why he never received more recognition.
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Wed May 14, 2008 5:28 am

I always liked Elton’s singles, but never really got into him seriously until a few years ago. I was very struck by scene in Almost famous, where everyone on the tour bus was singing along to Tiny Dancer. Because it wasn’t a single in the UK, I’d never heard it before. So I bought the album it was on, Madman Across The Water and really enjoyed it, although what used to be side 2 does tail off a bit. Then I bought Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Again, lots of very good songs, but also some that weren’t that special. After that I bought Tumbleweed Connection and after a few plays I realised this was the one: a truly great album. I couldn’t stop playing it for a while, but it’s become one of my favourite albums and to me, is up there with the likes of Revolver, Pet Sounds and Forever Changes: in other words, a classic!
sound_chaser

Postby yesireebob » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I recently bought the DVD-Audio surround-sound version of GYBR, and OMG is it fabulous! This album was a big part of the soundrack of my high school years, and I have always been very partial to it. There is nothing quite like the EJ/Bernie Taupin collaborations and this album, although there are a few misses, has some real gems. Funeral for a Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding, Grey Seal, This Song's Got No Title, Roy Rogers, Harmony, and those were not even the hits. This album had no less than four top-ten hits, in both the US and the UK, in Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, the title cut, Candle in the Wind, and Bennie and the Jets. The added dimesion of surround sound really highlights the layers that went into many of these songs.

I loved Madman across the Water, too, but I do agree the second half runs out of steam. Tumbleweed Connection is indeed a classic, but Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player is another of my personal favorites. Blues for Baby and Me, Have Mercy on the Criminal, Elderberry Wine and Daniel are all great songs.
yesireebob

Postby NumberNine » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 am

I love the captain fantastic album. i can listen to it again and again and again and again.

I compare it with the sgt. peppers Album. its definitive a concept album!
NumberNine

Postby Kalingzeye » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Elton is awesooooome... I don't own any actual albums of his, maybe I should... *is ashamed*

:eek:
Kalingzeye

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Yellow Brick Road and Greatest Hits, released in the 70's are my favorite.

He was my second fav after my first album Kiss Alive(jeeezus)
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young