[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Jeff Beck

Jeff Beck

Jeff Beck

Postby happytheman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:15 am

happytheman

Charter Member

Re: Jeff Beck

Postby N2yes » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:40 am

"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby frankh » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:57 am

Many, many, many years ago, so many that it may as well have been another lifetime, and, all things considered, essentially -was-, (1975? '76?), I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at an Eric Clapton / Santana concert here in upstate NY.

Many, many things happened at that show. There were alot of people there. A lovely young lady utilized my height by inviting herself up onto my shoulders to see the show. Lovely thighs.

I did rather too much of a certain chemical enhancement. Lived. Other than possibly with the young lady, didn't really embarrass myself too much.

(There's more to that story, lol...)

It was a pretty fair show. Clapton seemed 'off', it was allegedly right square in the middle of his own substance problems, and you could just about hear it and see it.

Santana was excellent. They opened, and later, Carlos joined Eric onstage for the closing of the show, likely the best portion of the proceedings.

...with the possible exception of...

lol

...and this has happened to me alot!...

...again, it was the 'piped in' music, before the show...

...and, whatever it was, it was really fine, really good. New sounding, explorative, hot, great, great guitar leads, funky, heavy on the tasty percussion, hot heys in accompaniment...

...had to know that this stuff was!...

...as my head was beginning to assume that 'other' space, I asked around, and asked around...

"Anybody know what this music is?"

At last, an authoritative answer was provided.

Jeff Beck, Blow By Blow.

The tunes that had really got me going were AIR Blower and Scatterbrain (somehow always been partial to instrumentals. Therefore, although I've been a fan of no small amount of vocally oriented music, being a Yes fan still makes sense in that the vocals amount to another couple, few instruments the band could have utilized. Although Jon's words from back in those times resonate today so differently, so well. Amazingly so!).

Several years before that, my older half - brother exposed me to the Truth album, and with all the wonderful material on that one, it was the cover of Ol' Man River he wanted me to hear, and that new vocalist, Rod Stewart (who was still a few years short of his Maggie Mae time, and thankfully well, well short of Do You Think I'm Sexy [even now, it is painful just typing that!]).

Although still really just a youngster then, I had become aware of Beck's rock royalty lineage. As a matter of personal opinion, it is at least as offensive that he is not in the RRHOF as it is that neither is Yes.

So began my exploration into all things Beck -ian. An exploration that is still incomplete, but has always been satisfying. I loved the follow up to Blow By Blow, Wired even more. There are moments on Wired that still stand my hair on end. All of Led Boots, but especially the solos. His solos on Come Dancing.

Led Boots, with manic drums by Narada Michael Walden, and with another highly adrenal solo to conclude from the wonderful Jan Hammer, is one of the single most energetic, frantic, and, if I may be excused, balls to the wall instrumentals of all time.

Although often somewhat derided, Beck's work with Jan Hammer, other than most of the live album Live With The Jan Hammer Group (although the Freeway Jam from that work is alot of fun!) amounts to a blissful joining of enormously gifted talents.

Later, I would discover Guitar Shop, and others, but the research should continue, because other matters have necessarily intruded that have kept me from it.

Of all the legendary guitarists from those times, another age, with the possible exceptions of Hendrix, Howe, and maybe one or two others, maybe, (and the named exceptions are, again to emphasize, only possibles) noone has more consistently found that spot, that 'spot' that goes up and down my spinal column quite like Jeff Beck.
nocturn
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:20 am

I just wanted to say that Wired is one of my all time favourite albums and I was surprised to read that it sold less well than the previous album, Blow By Blow, because it is far better, in my opinion. It’s not often you hear an instrumental album that is this consistently great and involving: Beck is absolutely at his peak on this album with so many memorable solos. Of all those solos though, nothing tops what he did with Mingus standard, Good Bye Porkpie Hat, which just hits you over and over with the most sublime playing. This piece of music, for me, is the absolute pinnacle of guitar playing: it is just sensational and destroys me every time!
sound_chaser

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young