Mountain

Mountain

Postby N2yes » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Good ol' Leslie West and co. "Missisisippi Queen" sure hit the air waves hard didn't it? The combination of Felix Papallardi and drummer Corky Laing made for one rockin' trio! But ya know, this little diddy represents only a fraction of what they actually accomplised. Felix had some pretty impressive connections with the likes of having been Cream's producer.
Did you know that Mountain was at Woodstock? That's right and shortly after, Corky Laing entered the picture and added and entirely new bang to the bands sound, replacing N.D. Smart on drums, the band's original drummer. Strange, but you won't hear or see them on the Woodstock DVD, but they were there.
The group's first album, Climbing! was released in 1970 and featured the band's best-known song, "Mississippi Queen" ( ever heard that one? ); the song reached the middle of the top 40 charts and the album reached the top 20 on the US album charts.
The follow-up album Nantucket Sleighride (1971) also reached the top 20 on the US albums chart but failed to yield a hit single. After these early releases the band continued to receive a certain measure of critical acclaim but never achieved great commercial success.
On April 17, 1983, Gail Collins Pappalardi, Felix's wife and songwriting partner who had designed many of the band's album covers, shot Pappalardi in the neck in their fifth-floor East Side Manhattan apartment. He was pronounced dead at the scene and Collins was charged with second-degree murder. She was cleared of that charge but convicted of the lesser criminally negligent homicide and sentenced to 16 months to four years in jail. After her release from jail, she vanished into private life.
This left West and Laing to form up with Jack Bruce which together, achieved some notoriety, releasing 3 albums, two studio, one live. Alas, things weren't meant to last and like Mountain, they too split up.
Years later, rumor has it, that Steve Gaines beat out Leslie West for a spot in Lynyrd Skynyrd. West, though still playing, lies in semi-obscurity compared to the power-house days of the double-bass drum sound of Mountain. Like all the rest, they deserve honorable mention for their efforts broke alot of ground.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: Mountain

Postby N2yes » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:33 am

No fans of "Nantucket Sleighride"?
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 am

N2yes wrote:Good ol' Leslie West and co. "Missisisippi Queen" sure hit the air waves hard didn't it? The combination of Felix Papallardi and drummer Corky Laing made for one rockin' trio! But ya know, this little diddy represents only a fraction of what they actually accomplised. Felix had some pretty impressive connections with the likes of having been Cream's producer.
Did you know that Mountain was at Woodstock? That's right and shortly after, Corky Laing entered the picture and added and entirely new bang to the bands sound, replacing N.D. Smart on drums, the band's original drummer. Strange, but you won't hear or see them on the Woodstock DVD, but they were there.
The group's first album, Climbing! was released in 1970 and featured the band's best-known song, "Mississippi Queen" ( ever heard that one? ); the song reached the middle of the top 40 charts and the album reached the top 20 on the US album charts.
The follow-up album Nantucket Sleighride (1971) also reached the top 20 on the US albums chart but failed to yield a hit single. After these early releases the band continued to receive a certain measure of critical acclaim but never achieved great commercial success.
On April 17, 1983, Gail Collins Pappalardi, Felix's wife and songwriting partner who had designed many of the band's album covers, shot Pappalardi in the neck in their fifth-floor East Side Manhattan apartment. He was pronounced dead at the scene and Collins was charged with second-degree murder. She was cleared of that charge but convicted of the lesser criminally negligent homicide and sentenced to 16 months to four years in jail. After her release from jail, she vanished into private life.
This left West and Laing to form up with Jack Bruce which together, achieved some notoriety, releasing 3 albums, two studio, one live. Alas, things weren't meant to last and like Mountain, they too split up.
Years later, rumor has it, that Steve Gaines beat out Leslie West for a spot in Lynyrd Skynyrd. West, though still playing, lies in semi-obscurity compared to the power-house days of the double-bass drum sound of Mountain. Like all the rest, they deserve honorable mention for their efforts broke alot of ground.

I want to say Leslie West ended up playing with the group of guitarist that released the series "Night of the Guitar". I had one studio release and one live release of theirs. Mountain's "Greatest Hits" get an appropriate amount of "car time" from me. And I will have to dig through the albums but I have at least one of their releases with Bruce (Why dontcha I believe is the title). Another great guitarist that somehow has slipped through the cracks. Regarding Woodstock line up, makes you wonder if the "entire" concert has ever been released. I know there were two volumes but some classic performances must be out there waiting to see the light of day.

I just dug this up, never realized this..
West also recorded with The Who on a cover of Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It" in 1971. This track was not originally included on Who's Next, but has appeared on recent CD reissues. He also appears on demos for what became the group's signature rocker, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby frankh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:27 am

Mississippi Queen is one of the single most amazing tunes ever to hit pop radio. Mountain attained a sound with this tune, ditty that has really never been replicated.

Pappalardi. Was it a monstrous bass? Was it a rhythm guitar with the most immense fuzz and distortion ever? Some combination of the two? Whatever it was, it was just HUGE! This was where the largely wasted genre of Heavy Metal could've gone.

(Something I always say about King Crimson, lol..."where Heavy Metal should've gone")

Owned Best Of, too...I think...

(Unfortunate things occurred with my original vinyl collection)

Nantucket Sleighride, Theme For An Imaginary Western, The Animal Trainer And The Toad, all great songs. Loved Leslie West's deliberate guitar style, and voice. He's still out there, appears out in Western N.Y. occasionally. Should go see him. Heard he's trimmed out a little.

But Mississippi Queen is in a league all by itself. It was one of those songs that so well characterized those times. You hear it now and are taken back there. Absolutely classic.
nocturn
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby gtrpir8 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 pm

Ahhh, Nantucket Sleighride! I have a live album on which that song takes up side 2 entirely, with West going on a monster 15 minute jam.

There was a local band that did Mountain covers back in the day, and they called themselves Nantucket. They actually had a regional hit in the mid '70s called "Heartbreaker", not to be confused with songs of the same name by Grand Funk and Pat Benatar.
gtrpir8

Veteran Member

Postby N2yes » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:27 pm

This little diddy actually has a meaningful story to go with it. Perhaps this is why I chose this number. Man and his infinite cruelty to animals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuxyxLQMxg&feature=related
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young