Harvey Mandel

Harvey Mandel

Postby N2yes » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Now, here's one for ya that many of you younger folks may never even have heard of. Nevertheless, he was and still is a great and influential guitarist.

Harvey Mandel (b. March 11, 1945, Detroit, Michigan) is an American guitarist known for his innovative approach to electric guitar playing. A professional at twenty, he has played with Charlie Musselwhite, Canned Heat and John Mayall before starting a solo career. Harvey Mandel is one of the first rock guitarists to use two-handed fretboard tapping( and you thought it was Eddie Van Halen ).

Mandel grew up in Chicago and his first recording was the album Stand Back! in 1966 with Charlie Musselwhite. He relocated to the Bay Area, performing often at a club called The Matrix, where local favorites like Jerry Garcia or Elvin Bishop would sit in and jam. He then met up with Abe 'Voco' Kesh, who produced his first solo album Cristo Redentor in 1968.

On the night that Henry Vestine quit Canned Heat Harvey was in their dressing room at the Fillmore West. Mike Bloomfield joined them for the first set, and Mandel came in for the second set. His third gig with the band was the Woodstock Festival in 1969. He stayed with the band for a year, touring and and recording material which appeared on three albums. Let's work Together, a song by Wilbert Harrison which was included in the album Future Blues became an international hit.

With Canned Heat bass player Larry Taylor, Mandel joined John Mayall for the next two years. He is heard playing on the two albums of that period USA Union and Back to the roots.

In 1972, he teamed up with Don "Sugarcane" Harris, who played violin for Mayall, and with Randy Resnick on guitar, Victor Conte on bass, and Paul Lagos on drums formed the band Pure Food and Drug Act who released one album, Choice Cuts.

When the Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor (also a former Mayall sideman) left the band, Harvey Mandel was auditioned for a replacement and recorded with them tracks for the 1976 album Black and Blue, notably Hot Stuff. Since his success with the Stones, he has been much sought as session player and has been able to pursue his solo career.

During the '70s Mandel released the albums Baby Batter, The Snake and Shangrenade, in the latter employing the technique of two-handed tapping. He has also released an instructional video titled Harvey Mandel: Blues Guitar & Beyond.

Mandel's nickname, "The Snake," was given to him by keyboardist Barry Goldberg in Chicago and referred to his cracked leather jacket.

Harvey Mandel acted in the film Chalk, directed by Rob Nilsson, and contributed some original music.

He can still be heard and is still touring. He was truly innovative in very sense of the word and no mercy would have been spared me had I not included him in this thread of ground-breakers.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Re: Harvey Mandel

Postby N2yes » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Here he is, albeit a bit older but still wailing. Damn, he was so good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJQhD-tUds&feature=related
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:44 pm

Although the video is extremely outdated, the sound is there and this one is a wee bit longer in duration. Hope you like it. It's called "Jackhammer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2paD8cdp0
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:54 pm

N2yes wrote:Now, here's one for ya that many of you younger folks may never even have heard of. Nevertheless, he was and still is a great and influential guitarist.

Harvey Mandel (b. March 11, 1945, Detroit, Michigan) is an American guitarist known for his innovative approach to electric guitar playing. A professional at twenty, he has played with Charlie Musselwhite, Canned Heat and John Mayall before starting a solo career. Harvey Mandel is one of the first rock guitarists to use two-handed fretboard tapping( and you thought it was Eddie Van Halen ).

Mandel grew up in Chicago and his first recording was the album Stand Back! in 1966 with Charlie Musselwhite. He relocated to the Bay Area, performing often at a club called The Matrix, where local favorites like Jerry Garcia or Elvin Bishop would sit in and jam. He then met up with Abe 'Voco' Kesh, who produced his first solo album Cristo Redentor in 1968.

On the night that Henry Vestine quit Canned Heat Harvey was in their dressing room at the Fillmore West. Mike Bloomfield joined them for the first set, and Mandel came in for the second set. His third gig with the band was the Woodstock Festival in 1969. He stayed with the band for a year, touring and and recording material which appeared on three albums. Let's work Together, a song by Wilbert Harrison which was included in the album Future Blues became an international hit.

With Canned Heat bass player Larry Taylor, Mandel joined John Mayall for the next two years. He is heard playing on the two albums of that period USA Union and Back to the roots.

In 1972, he teamed up with Don "Sugarcane" Harris, who played violin for Mayall, and with Randy Resnick on guitar, Victor Conte on bass, and Paul Lagos on drums formed the band Pure Food and Drug Act who released one album, Choice Cuts.

When the Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor (also a former Mayall sideman) left the band, Harvey Mandel was auditioned for a replacement and recorded with them tracks for the 1976 album Black and Blue, notably Hot Stuff. Since his success with the Stones, he has been much sought as session player and has been able to pursue his solo career.

During the '70s Mandel released the albums Baby Batter, The Snake and Shangrenade, in the latter employing the technique of two-handed tapping. He has also released an instructional video titled Harvey Mandel: Blues Guitar & Beyond.

Mandel's nickname, "The Snake," was given to him by keyboardist Barry Goldberg in Chicago and referred to his cracked leather jacket.

Harvey Mandel acted in the film Chalk, directed by Rob Nilsson, and contributed some original music.

He can still be heard and is still touring. He was truly innovative in very sense of the word and no mercy would have been spared me had I not included him in this thread of ground-breakers.

And here I thought you meant "Howey". Seriously though N2 you got me on this one. I need to do some more research. I've got a couple Canned Heat albums, and back in the day I owned Black and Blue. I guess the name just slipped me. I'll check some of your links out tomorrow night. (We are finally coming out of the woods and getting High Speed Wireless internet!! You Tube here I come!)
happytheman

Charter Member

Return to When Rock Was Young