When Rock Was Young.

When Rock Was Young.

Postby sound_chaser » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:56 pm

There’s a great story of how country & western got together with rhythm & blues. Together they had a bastard child. And the name of that child was rock & roll! This forum, I think, provides an opportunity to look back at the roots of rock, as well as celebrating all the bands and artists who provided the foundations on which rock music stands today. What I’d like to get at, personally, is to look at how we got to where we are today.

So, along with country & western and rhythm & blues, I think we should also look at all the musical styles that went into the melting pot of the music we know today as rock. With that in mind, I’d like to look at the influence that genres such as classical, blues and jazz (to name but three.) have had on our lives (even if only in a subliminal way.). Genre is something I don’t want to get too bogged down in, because, at the end of the day, it’s all music. First and foremost, I’m a music fan and ultimately, there are only two kinds of music: good, or bad.

But, of course, that’s where all the conflict comes in, because just what is good and what is bad? I know what I think is good, because my ears tell me when I hear it. But what about the next person who thinks the music I like is crap and I think that about his, or hers? Who is right and who is wrong? The answer, of course, is there is no right, or wrong. All that matters, is what your ears tell you: if it sounds good, go with it! Hopefully, my role as moderator will be just a token gesture and my main role will be to help things roll along smoothly. But, if you do encounter any problems along the way, please pm me and I’ll do me best to sort it out.

N2 has done a fantastic job in getting this forum up and running and I trust his sterling contributions, essays and insights will continue. Anyway, this is how I see things panning out as we go along, but how about you: is this the kind of way you would like the forum to go? Hopefully, traffic will increase and before long, Yestalk as a whole will be buzzing again. With the Close To The Edge And Back tour now a reality, now is a perfect time to get involved and spread the word...and the answer to Yes!

Regards, Richard.

Return to When Rock Was Young