What about RUSH?

Re: What about RUSH?

Postby yesman90125 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 pm

I actually saw Rush before they were RUSH!!!
[size=84][color=darkslateblue]they played in a park in my hometown in 1973[/color][/size]
first concert i ever attended
I've seen them like 18 times now
and own all their music

since this thread is getting some attention
I thought I'd Do my N2Yes like introduction now:

Rush is a Canadian rock band originally formed in August 1968, in the Willowdale neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario; presently comprised of bassist, keyboardist, and lead vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, and drummer and lyricist Neil Peart. The band and its membership went through a number of re-configurations between 1968 and 1974, achieving their definitive form when Neil Peart replaced original drummer John Rutsey (RIP)in July 1974, two weeks before the group's first U.S. tour.
Since the release of the band's self-titled debut album in March 1974, Rush has become known for the instrumental skills of its members, complex compositions, and eclectic lyrical motifs drawing heavily on science fiction, fantasy, and libertarian philosophy, as well as addressing humanitarian, social, emotional, and environmental concerns.
Musically, Rush's style has evolved over the years, beginning in the vein of blues-inspired heavy metal on their first album, then encompassing hard rock, progressive rock, a period dominated by synthesizers and, more recently, modern rock. They have influenced various musical artists, including Metallica,[1][2] The Smashing Pumpkins[3] and Primus,[3] as well as notable progressive metal bands such as Dream Theater[1] and Symphony X.[4]
Rush has won a number of Juno Awards, and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1994. Over the course of their careers, the individual members of Rush have been acknowledged as being some of the most proficient players on their respective instruments, with each band member winning several awards in magazine readers' polls. As a group, Rush possesses 24 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records. for the most consecutive gold and platinum albums by a rock band. Rush also ranks 78th in U.S. album sales according to the RIAA with sales of 25 million units. Although total worldwide album sales are not calculated by any single entity, as of 2004 several industry sources estimated Rush's total worldwide album sales at over 40 million units.
The band is currently promoting their latest album, Snakes & Arrows with an intercontinental tour. The second leg began in San Juan, Puerto Rico on April 11, and is set to finish in Atlanta, Georgia on July 22.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 am

Yeah, they are a pretty hot band. I like Villa Strangiato. In HS party there was band who did this and 2112, 1981. Good cover.

First heard 2112 at school party, local teen band. Soph year.

Learned the Trees on guit.

Wanna get the Exit Stg Lt video, Used to rent at vid store in 80's.

Saw Rush on Mov Pics tour 81 at LA Forum. Xanadu ws great. Dry ice fog.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Lyth » Wed May 14, 2008 5:45 am

yesman90125 wrote:on the Vapor Trails Tour
They were playing "Finding My Way"
and "Working Man"alternating between the two
I think they reportadly also played"In The Mood"

They ended the encore with 'Working Man' on the Vapor Trails tour.

They started the show with a snippet of 'Finding My Way' and ended the show (before the encore) with 'Working Man' on the R30 tour.

They haven't played 'In The Mood' since the Presto tour in 1990.

It would be a nice gesture if they played something from the debut album on this tour (even if it was only for the next show) as a tribute to John Rutsey.
Lyth

Charter Member

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Mon May 19, 2008 5:15 am

Yesola wrote:Geddy's voice went to the lower registers ( just a bit) over time.

I love RUSH. One of best concerts just from the sheer emotion and feed back form the fans, and the bands playing which is always spot on while being emotional at the same time.

The most recent I saw them was at Madison Square Garden fall 2007. Loved it.

Hehehe. Ok, I'm seeing the boys from Canada on Thursday in St. Paul, the first of three shows on this leg of the tour. I saw them four times last year. Don't get me wrong, Yes is, and always will be, my favorite band. But I have seen Rush more times, somewhat because this is my husband's favorite band. I've seen Yes 11 times, I've seen Rush 13 times. This year, I will see Rush in St. Paul, Milwaukee and Chicago, upping my total to 16. I will see Yes in Chicago and Red Rocks, upping that total to 13. Okay, so I'm holding out for the Brits to play the UK and the continent in 2009...............
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Yesola » Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Hehehe. Ok, I'm seeing the boys from Canada on Thursday in St. Paul, the first of three shows on this leg of the tour. I saw them four times last year. Don't get me wrong, Yes is, and always will be, my favorite band. But I have seen Rush more times, somewhat because this is my husband's favorite band. I've seen Yes 11 times, I've seen Rush 13 times. This year, I will see Rush in St. Paul, Milwaukee and Chicago, upping my total to 16. I will see Yes in Chicago and Red Rocks, upping that total to 13. Okay, so I'm holding out for the Brits to play the UK and the continent in 2009...............

Yeah it's quite possible that I have been more jacked to see Rush as the concert time got closer in the recent years, but they had a six year break while Yes was touring almost twice a year through my area, 97 - 2004.
Yesola

Postby N2yes » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 am

Rush continues to be a major draw. There has to be a good reason.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am

Countdown to Friday the 27th
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/807344

Rush

[url=javascript:gener_seatven('http://www.ticketmaster.com/venueinfo/57479/','eventd')]Marcus Amphitheater Summerfest[/url], Milwaukee, WI
Fri, Jun 27, 2008 07:30 PM

almost sold out
big place!!!!

Alliance 6-7349
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm excited, everyone!!! Less than a month away! I'm seeing them at HersheyPark Stadium, July 17!!! Less than a month! My first ever Rush show as well! This is gonna be awesome! The only thing that sucks is that Yes were supposed to play there on the 16th, the day before Rush. Maybe next time around. ;)
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:14 am

N2yes wrote:Rush continues to be a major draw. There has to be a good reason.

The good reason is that this is a band that does everything right. They don't fight with each other-at least visibly where the fan base is concerned. They have been well managed throughout their career. The one drawback is that they really haven't changed their style much over the years. I have a friend who repatedly says that they've written the same album for the past 30 years. But maybe the biggest reason that Rush remains such a draw is that in a live setting, particularly since 2002, they provide such honesty and intensity onstage. This trio is a tight, well-oiled machine. When you go to see them, you're not going to see a greatest hits show. Instead it's a combination of favorites, more obscure tracks, and new material. They take a chance with the latter, but as some of the Rushheads I know have said, the newer material is starting to sound like old standards now. Think of it, when our favorite bands were young, that's what they did, always played new songs. That's the only way they'll ever become favorites.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 am

speaking of fighting
there was a quick blurb on the news awhile back that Alex Lifeson was being charged with beating somebody up
I think in Florida
anyone know more about that?
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 am

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Think of it, when our favorite bands were young, that's what they did, always played new songs. That's the only way they'll ever become favorites.

Exactly right and that's why I was disappointed that Yes didn't promote their new material very well on The Ladder and Magnification tours: I really think Magnification, especially, should have been played in its entirety
sound_chaser

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:26 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Exactly right and that's why I was disappointed that Yes didn't promote their new material very well on The Ladder and Magnification tours: I really think Magnification, especially, should have been played in its entirety

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that one~~~ :\
It's kind of a shame, really, they could've done so much more with that material.
Kalingzeye

Postby sound_chaser » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Yeah, I'd have to agree with that one~~~ :\
It's kind of a shame, really, they could've done so much more with that material.

The thing is (and although I may be in a minority on this one, I know at least Chris 2210 agrees with me.) Magnification was a wonderful album that demanded to be played in its entirety. It was a concept album about life and Jon’s lyrics were probably more grounded than they had ever been. And to make the album, Yes employed the services of classical composer Larry Groupe, who also conducted a full orchestra. Yes then toured with an orchestra in which to promote the new album. They went to all that trouble…and then bottled it, because they put the tried and trusted classics over the new material. I’ve said this before, but if Yes didn’t have the confidence to play their new material in full, then why should the buying public spend their money on that new material? Anyway, sorry for the off-topic outburst: back to Rush.
sound_chaser

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 pm

(Agreed.)

SO... about that Rush.......... ;)
Kalingzeye

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 pm

I agree on Magnification that they should have played more than 2-3 tracks during that tour especially with the Orchestra.
however
they did seem to play a good bit of "The Ladder"s stuff at least to begin with
lightning strikes even got some minimal air play around here
they had the producer the label behind them a good tour and played a decent amount of the material
I've allways advocated recording a solid album
and touring on the album
whilst still playing a good cross section of the previous material
this is something RUSH does masterfully
and a formula that has pretty much kept their albums selling and their tours fresh
and the fans interested
if a Rush concert consited of
Fly by Night
Lakeside Park
Temples of Syrinx
Closer To the Heart
The Trees
Spirit Of The Radio
Limelight
Red Barchetta
Tom Saywer
Subdivisions
New World Man
Distant Early Warning
Kid Gloves
The Big Money
Mystic Rhythms
Time Stand Still
Show Dont Tell
Animate
Driven
and Working Man
Id' accuse them of being redundant too
it's nice when they abandon some of those Greatest hits
and play some rarer songs and more of the last 2-3 albums

although
looking at the list
it would make one hell of a Good Greatest hits cd
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:27 am

So the show was great as allways.
what does seem to be happening is that the newer songs get a good deal more energy
and exceitment from the band.

some songs like "Spirit Of the Radio" seem to lack a bit of UMPH
while songs like
"The Way the wind Blows"
"The Main Monkey business"
"The Larger Bowl'
"Far Cry"
were really great
but lacked some audience response
VS the older songs
it was strange

but I thought "the Way The Wind blows"
was the highlight
I love "Snakes and Arrows"
my favorite Album since "Presto"
sound is boomy in some places
some songs re-arranged sound a bit slower
which is I suppose why I thought they lacked some energy
of the 20 million times I've seen Rush
this was still great
and they still are the best live act on the circuit.
I noticed when I moved around to different spots in the venue the sound was dramaticly different
when a band plays that loud(which I love)
there are tendancys to have this kind of sound variances in different places
it sounded good in the front and in the back
but in the front of the 2nd group of seats there was a bit too much re-verb going on that made things sound off
I've noticed this with other groups in this same venue
often the cheap seats get a bad view but the better sound.
in any case Rush seems to tightening up again
the early parts of the "Vapor Trails" tour was a bit sloppy while now they've been honing the sound and songs for a few years
Good to have them back and see them seem to be enjoying doing it again
most notably Neil Peart
is starting to look like he's having fun again
which is Key.The stuff that poor guy has gone through would have wiped out most of us.
READ HIS BOOKS!!!
God knows that these guys dont need the money anymore
so it's the love of the craft
which is beautiful!

"Now it's come to this
It's like we're back in the Dark Ages
From the Middle East to the Middle West
It's a world of superstition

Now it's come to this
Wide-eyed armies of the faithful
Pray, and pass the ammunition

So many people think that way
You gotta watch what you say
To them and them, and others too
Who don't seem to see to things the way you do

We can only grow the way the wind blows
on a bare and weathered shore
We can only bow to the here and now
In our elemental war

We can only go the way the wind blows
We can only bow to the here and now
Or be broken down blow by blow

Now it's come to this
Hollow speeches of mass deception
Like crusaders in a holy alliance

Now it's come to this
Like we're back in the dark ages
It's a plague that resists our science

It seems to leave them partly blind
And they leave no child behind
While evil spirits haunt their sleep
While shepherds bless and count their sheep

Like the solitary pine
On a bare wind blasted shore
We can only grow the way the wind blows"
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Ahhhhh, Chris, I was wondering when you were going to post about the Milwaukee show.

About the "happy" Neil, Milwaukee got a show where Neil decided to turn up the corners of his mouth. I've seen 7 Rush shows over the past two years, and the only other time he did that was in Cincinnati last September 1, and then he was really smiling. A friend of mine from one of the Rush forums, said that Neil's solo in Milwaukee was the best of the 2008 tour, and that says something (this guy is a drummer). Aside from that, Alex was a complete goof last Friday night. Geddy had a lot of energy, too, jumping around. That was the most I had seen from him this year.

Funny, what you noted about the older songs, as I have seen that too, but only in 2008, not in 2007. The Snakes and Arrows songs are getting much better acceptance this year than last. But really, the Milwaukee version of Subdivisions was probably the best I have ever seen. Geddy sang the shyte out of that song...in Chicago, on June 9, he was struggling with it. Odd, how those things happen. I received a boot of the Chicago show from last year, and the boys are playing the new material MUCH better than in 2007.

You saw a great show. It was on a par with Chicago this year, both were better than the St. Paul show I saw in May. Although I think we got a better Red Barchetta in Chicago, timing seemed to be a bit off in Milwaukee on that one.

BTW, to answer your earlier question about Alex's run-in with the law a few years ago, that happened in Florida on New Year's Eve 2002-2003. Alex and his adult son were drunk in some hotel, and were charged with disorderly conduct. The charges were eventually dropped, so nothing came of this disturbance....
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby yesireebob » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Rolling Stone actually has a feature article about Rush, and it's GOOD! Issue July 10-24, with Obama on the cover.
yesireebob

Previous

Return to When Rock Was Young