George Harrison - The Quiet one

George Harrison - The Quiet one

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Thu May 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I found this Overview on the BBC News website.
I belive sums it all up about Harri:

He was the diffident Beatle, a quiet and unassuming figure beside the towering egos of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
But, after his innate creativity was allowed to flourish, George Harrison made his own mark as a great songwriter, with works such as Here Comes The Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps holding their own beside those of his colleagues.
And Something was hailed by Frank Sinatra as "the greatest love song ever written".
The son of a bus driver, George Harrison was born in the Hunts Cross area of Liverpool on 25 February 1943.
As a teenager with John and Paul

Although his childhood home was a back-to-back-terrace house with an outside toilet, a scholarship to the Liverpool Institute, where he met Paul McCartney, a year his senior, held out the promise of a better life.
Like millions of his contemporaries, the young George Harrison fell under the spell of rock 'n' roll, especially the records brought to Liverpool by visiting seamen and played, by night, on Radio Luxembourg.
Aged 14, he bought a £3 guitar, music replaced his academic studies and, a year later, his mastery of more than the mere basic chords brought about his induction into The Quarrymen, a group which featured John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
After learning their trade and honing their musical abilities in British clubs and on Hamburg's notorious Reeperbahn the group, now known as The Beatles, settled their line-up in 1962 with the addition of a drummer, Ringo Starr.
Singing She Loves You

After finding a manager, Brian Epstein, and signing for the little-known Parlophone label, The Beatles quickly established themselves as a major act.
George Harrison's stage presence, thoughtful and concentrated alongside the grimacing and pouting of Lennon and McCartney, was a crucial factor in the group's success.
When The Beatles 'broke' the United States in 1964, his superstar status was assured. George Harrison's lead guitar style, based on that of his hero, Carl Perkins, defined the sound of the mid-sixties.
George Harrison's burgeoning love affair with oriental mysticism first made itself known on Norwegian Wood, John Lennon's tale of an extra-marital fling.
Inspirational
Acoustic guitar and muted bass were augmented by a new instrument, the sitar. The paradigm had shifted, this was serious rock music for serious people.
1966's Revolver saw three Harrison compositions, including Taxman, a bitter and cutting protest at the 95% surtax which he and his colleagues now had to pay and the following year's Sergeant Pepper brought Within and Without You, a reflective Indian love song.
But it was during the group's long death-throes, between 1968 and 1970, that George Harrison finally found his voice with three inspirational tracks.
Harrison and The Beatles transformed popular music

While My Guitar Gently Weeps, a bitter-sweet reflection on love and morality, augmented by the guitar of Eric Clapton, the deceptively simple Here Comes The Sun, one of the first songs to feature a synthesiser, and Something, a paeon of praise to his then wife Pattie Boyd, transformed his reputation.
Indeed, when released as a single, the much-covered Something sold more than a million copies.
Aged just 26 when The Beatles finally split, George Harrison threw himself into meditation and gardening, transforming the vast grounds of his house, Friar's Park in Henley on Thames.
His critically-acclaimed triple album, All Things Must Pass, featured the hit single My Sweet Lord, for which he was later successfully sued for 'subconscious plagiarism'
And, in 1971, 13 years before LiveAid, he organised the star-studded Concert for Bangladesh, to help the famine-ridden country.
He was just 26 when The Beatles split

During the 1970s, George Harrison's musical output varied in quality from the well-received Thirty-Three to a Third to Dark Horse, his artistic nadir produced following his divorce from Pattie (he would marry his second wife, Olivia Arias, in 1978).
In 1980 All Those Years Ago, his homage to the recently-murdered John Lennon went to Number Two in the UK charts.
Alongside this, though, his career as a film producer went from strength to strength. He backed Monty Python's Life of Brian and, through Handmade Films, was responsible for The Long Good Friday, Time Bandits and Mona Lisa.
The 1980s saw a revitalised Harrison team up with former ELO front-man Jeff Lynne, first on his own album Cloud Nine and then, with the addition of Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison, as The Traveling Wilburys. Orbison's death put paid to the project after two albums.
Impact
Although he appeared onstage at a benefit concert for the Natural Law Party during the 1992 British General Election, George Harrison's lifestyle became more and more reclusive, the success of The Beatles' Anthology, for which he teamed up again with Paul and Ringo for, having made him financially secure.
In December 1999 he was nearly killed when stabbed by an intruder in his Henley mansion and repeated treatment for cancer kept him in the headlines.
George Harrison once quipped, "I guess if you're going to be in a rock group it might as well be The Beatles".
Following his youthful success, he spent the second half of his life in a love/hate relationship with the memories of the days when he and John, Paul and Ringo changed the sound of pop music forever.

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Re: George Harrison - The Quiet one

Postby sound_chaser » Thu May 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Nice article, but it doesn’t mention his final album, Brainwashed, which, in its way, was as good as All Things Must Pass.

sound_chaser

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Thu May 15, 2008 4:46 pm

The article was written before Brainwashed release.
I like this album alot, not so sure about the album sleeve design though.
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Brainwashed is excellent!
this is a very nice article
I love George
My favorite Beatle
personality wise
the smartest of the bunch
and quite a formadable guy inspite of his reputation as "the quiet One"
he was very opinionated and very outspoken
but never pretended to be the Icon that he was thought of as.
he didn't shove his opinions down your throat in the way some other Beatles did
but he certinly had them
George's lasting lagacy has produced the closest thing to a Beatle reunion in the Cirqe Du Soliel production of "Love"
which involved remastering and retooling many of the famous Beatle tracks to the Avant Gard Stylings of Cirqe Du Soliel
Mr.Harrisons Brainchild was realized this year by Paul, Yoko,Ringo and Olivia
and is a very impresive production and another chance to re-introduce those songs in an updated kind of way Produced by George Martin
George's Clarity is timeless
as will be his influence
I'd Really like to reccomend the DVD " A Concert For George"
George comes to life without having physicaly been there
Eric Clapton has never been better!
a labor of Love and devotion by clapton,Ravi shankar and many others.including
Paul and Ringo
I guess there's no denying the impact the Beatles still have today
in and out of the Band
each of us has our special Beatle moment
mine is George's introduction to Lord Krishna
which was going through my head long before I knew what it was doing to my spirit

so with that

Hare Krishna
Hare Krishna
Krishna, Krishna
Hare,Hare
Hare Ram
Hare Ram
Ram,Ram
Hare,Hare

and thanks for this thread!!!
Be the Light!!!!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Thu May 15, 2008 10:09 pm

Harrison has always been my favorite Beatle.
I relate with his holistic approach to music.
I perceive Harri as a holy man, a kind spirit, ahead of it´s time.
It´s music that goes beyond any barrier, like i mentioned in another thread about YES music.It´s the simple things that matter the most.
I´ve always been very spiritual,not religious(although i was raised in a catholic environment).
Harri and Shankar´s music somehow pointed me in the right direction as to where i would find answers to my numerous questions.
I believe that no one should tell you how to connect or speak to your god(s) or etheral force/energy or whatever it is that you believe.
I think there are endless "roads" and ways to achieve spiritual awareness and to find peace.
Life is not about just one way of doing things, it´s about learning to look at the bigger picture and realizing that there are other horizons and places to come and Limitless possibilities.
That´s what i learned(still learning) from Harrison´s music.
Namastê!
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Thu May 15, 2008 10:51 pm

yesman90125 wrote:I'd Really like to reccomend the DVD " A Concert For George"
George comes to life without having physicaly been there
Eric Clapton has never been better!

Couldn't agree more. Excellent DVD. Recently watched it again, tremendous tribute. Not trying to highjack this thread but anyone know if any such concert was held for John? If so was it recorded?
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby sound_chaser » Sat May 17, 2008 8:10 am

happytheman wrote:Couldn't agree more. Excellent DVD. Recently watched it again, tremendous tribute. Not trying to highjack this thread but anyone know if any such concert was held for John? If so was it recorded?

Concert For George was indeed a lovely tribute. However, I can never quite get my head around the fact that Eric Clapton was involved and that he and George had managed to put what happened behind them. I couldn't have been as forgiving as that, I can tell you.
sound_chaser

Postby N2yes » Sat May 17, 2008 7:41 pm

George was always my favorite. Listening to the self-centered diatribes of John Lennon ( R.I.P. ) was, at times, too much. Paul, with his silly little love songs...he's so much better than that. Ringo, well, he's the funny one and a few cuts are really good. For George, "What is Life" and "Something" along with "Taxman" are just the shiznit for me! God, miss his presence.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Mon May 19, 2008 4:27 pm

I think I have mentioned it before, but George Harrison is the sole reason I ever wanted to play guitar. As a young teenager I was a Beatles fanatic and the more I listenend to them the more George stood out compared to the others. Not just for his music but for his interest in spirituality.
I always try to pay tribute to George when I play live, either doing Here Comes The Sun or While My Guitar Gently Weeps, or both, or some other song.
The Concert For George is one of the most touching concerts I have seen, I was literally in tears all the time.

On a side note, I read somewhere that George actually did not mind Ol' Clapper taking Patti. (Or her leaving George for Eric to put express it in a more politically correct way gender-wise). Apparantly she got tired of him meditating everyday rather than to spend his time with her.

Anyway,
Thank you George for your wonderful songs and your beautiful playing but mostly Thank you for being an inspiration!
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Mon May 19, 2008 10:57 pm

guilddigger wrote:I think I have mentioned it before, but George Harrison is the sole reason I ever wanted to play guitar. As a young teenager I was a Beatles fanatic and the more I listenend to them the more George stood out compared to the others. Not just for his music but for his interest in spirituality.
I always try to pay tribute to George when I play live, either doing Here Comes The Sun or While My Guitar Gently Weeps, or both, or some other song.
The Concert For George is one of the most touching concerts I have seen, I was literally in tears all the time.

On a side note, I read somewhere that George actually did not mind Ol' Clapper taking Patti. (Or her leaving George for Eric to put express it in a more politically correct way gender-wise). Apparantly she got tired of him meditating everyday rather than to spend his time with her.

Anyway,
Thank you George for your wonderful songs and your beautiful playing but mostly Thank you for being an inspiration!

I’ve mentioned it here before, but when I saw Yes on the symphonic tour in 2001, it was the night after George had sadly died. A few songs in and Jon stopped the show and he and Steve played Here Comes The Sun. Everyone joined in and I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. At the end of the song, Jon said: “Thank God for George, that’s all I can say…Thank God for George.” I felt privileged to have been part of such a fitting tribute!
sound_chaser

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue May 20, 2008 4:45 am

guilddigger wrote:On a side note, I read somewhere that George actually did not mind Ol' Clapper taking Patti. (Or her leaving George for Eric to put express it in a more politically correct way gender-wise). Apparantly she got tired of him meditating everyday rather than to spend his time with her.

George divorced Patti for other reasons, he actualy warned Eric about her.
According to Eric Clapton´s Autobiography, he only got obsessed with her beacuse she was kind of a "impossible" relationship.
Turns out she was a major negativist and dull person.
I recommend for futher insights on Both Clapton and Harrison´s the reading of Clapton´s Autobiography.
I´ve read it myself and it´s amazing, Eric is very funny.
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Found some cool videos from youtube:

George´s Sitar lesson with Ravi Shankar! - http://youtube.com/watch?v=erLZ-zW9Ti4

"Awaiting on you all"(concert for Bangladesh version) -http://youtube.com/watch?v=MyjEn_SPxaE&feature=related

"If not for you"(with Dylan) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=cdvjoIfGViU&feature=related

"The Inner Light" performed by Jeff Lynne and Anoushka Shankar on Concert for George - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xxr2R-zHNXw

"Arpan"(from concert for George) - this piece was written for George by Ravi - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmEu_9zkok&feature=related
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:14 pm

George was never openly upset about Clapton and Patti
he publicly remarked that they could do what they wanted too
and he and clapton never seemed to miss a beat as friends
there was no period of adjustment or anything
Patti has a book out now George harrison eric clapton and me or some such drival
so she's trying to cash in on the continuing interests in this relationship
naughty girl
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote:George divorced Patti for other reasons, he actualy warned Eric about her.
According to Eric Clapton´s Autobiography, he only got obsessed with her beacuse she was kind of a "impossible" relationship.
Turns out she was a major negativist and dull person.
I recommend for futher insights on Both Clapton and Harrison´s the reading of Clapton´s Autobiography.
I´ve read it myself and it´s amazing, Eric is very funny.

Not sure if I read this one or one of many books on George. But they discuss this "period" of his life in much detail. George was going through a period where let's just say, "being intimate" wasn't high on his list. And apparently Patti was in "full swing" as it were. Eric fit the bill for the time being. Obviously there were other "issues" but George had some very strong beliefs and was being "advised" and "mentored" in his spiritual quest.
Mind you I only read this in a book, so take it with a grain of salt.
happytheman

Charter Member

Return to When Rock Was Young