[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - The Doors

The Doors

The Doors

Postby yesireebob » Sat May 24, 2008 12:27 am

yesireebob

Re: The Doors

Postby yesman90125 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:49 am

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Sat May 24, 2008 7:32 pm

No disrespect intended, Y-Bob, but I never cared for them. This would perhaps, lie behind their exclusion on my part. However, I realize their fan base was large at one time, so I commend you for bringing it up!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:01 pm

There's certinly a darkness associated with some Doors music.
I could see where Yes fans wouldn't nessisarily Prefer that approach
it's just another side of things though
I started out really hating the Ghostlike sounds of Morrison
but after getting into some of the lesser played stuff
I turned into a huge fan
"The End" and "when The Music's Over" and"The soft Parade"
were songs that drew me in at first
now I even like stuff like LA Woman and Touch me-love her madly etc.
I don't think The Doors fan base is in any trouble thoughone of the first bands in the hall of fame even before Zeppelin
Pretty timeless music too
as Bart Simpson said"Making teenagers Depressed is like shooting fish in a Barrel"
but I think the Doors music has more to offer than just depressing sullen sounds
they were one of the first to incorperate Jazz and classical sounds into the music
as well as Morrison for all his oddities is a really solid and profesional singer
not a weak track on any Doors CD
very poetic and timeless music
the Theater in Rock Sort of thing that Jim was doing was repeated by so many musicians and performers
that it's almost expected out of a certin Genre' of music
like Prog/Punk/Heavy metal/jam bands
the other thing is the Manzarek factor
really creative organ work Powerfull energetic
doing the Bass lines on the Organ with his left hand while playing lead on his right Pretty goood pretty good-Pretty neat
very catchy moods too
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Sat May 24, 2008 11:39 pm

happytheman

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:54 pm

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sun May 25, 2008 5:44 pm

yesireebob

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 26, 2008 4:17 am

[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Mon May 26, 2008 8:29 am

An extremely important and influential band, The Doors albums really should be a part of any self-respecting rock music fans collection. I had a weird introduction to The Doors, because I had a drug crazed older brother, who used to pray at the alter of Jim Morrison and would delight in reciting the lyrics of The End in front of me: It's no exaggertaion, when I tell you that I woke up one morning to find him standing over me with a knife: that’s how obsessed he was and how frightening the situation was as well.

Understandably, I had a problem with The Doors for a long time, although I always loved songs such as Light My Fire, Riders On The Storm and Love Street. But as I said in my Beach Boys post, there came a time in my life when I felt compelled to seek out the true landmark rock albums and inevitably, that eventually led to the Doors. The debut album is a true masterpiece, with every song being a highlight. Waiting For The Sun, is almost as good and is another must have really: although I’ve often wondered if the band should have been sued for plagiarism, for ripping off the Kinks All day & All Of The Night riff for Hello, I Love You?

I’m surprised to read that N2 doesn’t rate The Doors, because I would have thought the heavily blues leaden LA Woman would have bee right up his street. Interesting to see a Pink Floyd comparison, because after Syd Barrett left, you can definitely hear a Doors influence in their material around the time of A Saucerful Of Secrets and the soundtrack to the film, More. So yes, although I had a difficult musical initiation, you can definitely count me in as a fan.
sound_chaser

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 26, 2008 4:48 pm

I think Doors is one the quintessential L.A. bands...
They thumbed their noses at American mainstream society
[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:11 pm

I allways thought Manzarek was pretty mainstreem and still seems to be in his recent interviews(he did the school of rock thing like Jon did)
Morrison no doubt thumbed his nose at mainstream society
and at pretty much everything
even though he was from DC and Florida not LA
he's considered a LA Guy

I often wonder what Jim would have become had he lived
could you imagine a 60 year old Jim Morrison ?
that'd be wierd
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Morrison today in Paris, poet , screenwriter
[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 pm

He came out of nowhere, and I could see him retreating back to nowhere and applying his talents to another media such as film. Nearly impossible to pull off a retreat after that kind of fame, however. Success literally was the death of him. Although, it would be just like him to fake his death to allow him to reincarnate himself. Perhaps that is why that myth perserveres.
yesireebob

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon May 26, 2008 11:15 pm

His films probably wouldn't sell in the US.
UCLA gave him a bad deal, but he would have been a notable director by now worldwide
[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:31 am

obviously Jim had an interest in Peotry and film
even though his musical career allowed for exploration into both
his fame and knowlege could have taken him far
but alas Jim morrison's destiny seems to be as much of a warning
as it is an invitation
a warning about excess and the emptiness of fame
yet an invitation into self exploration and the overthrow of boundries
the line of which persons need to decide for themselves how far they should go
where Exploration becomes excess and excess leads to ruin
I'll always admire Jim for jumping over the fence rather than stradling it
but I can't help but be saddened by the outcome
like so many of his generation he burned brightly and burned out too soon
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Yesola » Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Yesola

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:47 pm

tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 am

I got the remix of Waiting for the Sun, OMG! Aside from the much-improved quality of the mix, the bonus material is spectacular. Includes Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, and a 17 minute version of Celebration of the Lizard, the middle part of which is, of course, Not to Touch the Earth, the only part that got on the album. The bonus material alone is worth the price of admission!
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Very cool!

I might have to check that one out!
tardistraveler

Return to When Rock Was Young