Tangerine dream

Tangerine dream

Postby Mr. Stout » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 pm

They are the one of the forerunning groups as far as electronica and ambient are concerned. For me, it`s the years they spent under Richard Branson`s fledgling Virgin label that holds sway.
Phaedra(1974), Rubycon(1975), Richochet(1975), Stratosphere(1976) were truly groundbreaking. unique and inventive albums put forth by the classic lineup of Edgar Froese, Peter Baumann, and Christopher Franke
At times, the music was hypnotic, soothing, startling, and unsettling. The German band really pioneered the use of synthesizers and their influence is still felt in the New age genre of music, although their sucessors have never come close to the uniqueness that these gents had..
After Baumann left, the band tried an unsucessful album with vocals and subsequent albums were lacking that warmth they once had .Chalk it down to the crossover from analog synths to digital. The music in the 80`s period seemed quite sterile and mechanical. Yet, their time spent on Virgin Records stands out for most people.
Mr. Stout

Veteran Member

Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Re: Tangerine dream

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:57 pm

I'll have to get back to you on this, but yeah, I love Tangerine Dream, especially Phaedra and Rubycon. Nice to run across your path again though Mr. S: it's been a while.
sound_chaser

Postby Haze » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:07 am

Be as it may that the first four albums "Electronic Meditation", "Alpha Centauri", "Zeit" and "Atem" were a bit hard to reach - these albums still have to be recognized as they play an important part in the development of the electronica/ambient movement.

Having said that I agree with Mr S. that the period from 1974 to 1977 may be the most important one. By an overseeing, I'm sure, Mr S left out the unforgetable as well as perfect Tangerine Dream soundtrack from 1975: "Sorcerer"! The director William Friedkin remake that, thanks to the music score, keeps you on your toes through-out the movie. Also adding the live album "Encore" from 1977 to my favourite list. Partly because I saw them for the first time on that tour (as a confused teenager), but mainly because it's just a nice one!

Tangerine Dream have made good music after this though. Albums like: "Force Majure" 1979, "Tangram" 1980, "Poland - The Warsaw Concert" 1984, "Underwater Sunlight" 1986. "Quinoa" 1992, "Turn of the tides" 1994, "Mars Polaris" 1999 and "Mota Atma" 2003 find their way back to my CD-player or LP turntable every once in awhile...

Fair enough, If I have to choose only one: Rubycon! And especially Part Two. :)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby Mr. Stout » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:09 am

sound_chaser wrote:I'll have to get back to you on this, but yeah, I love Tangerine Dream, especially Phaedra and Rubycon. Nice to run across your path again though Mr. S: it's been a while.
The same here. I enjoy your insightful analysis on music. Work has been busy and I really don`t have much to say anymore.
Mr. Stout

Veteran Member

Postby Mr. Stout » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:13 am

Haze wrote:Be as it may that the first four albums "Electronic Meditation", "Alpha Centauri", "Zeit" and "Atem" were a bit hard to reach - these albums still have to be recognized as they play an important part in the development of the electronica/ambient movement.

Having said that I agree with Mr S. that the period from 1974 to 1977 may be the most important one. By an overseeing, I'm sure, Mr S left out the unforgetable as well as perfect Tangerine Dream soundtrack from 1975: "Sorcerer"! The director William Friedkin remake that, thanks to the music score, keeps you on your toes through-out the movie. Also adding the live album "Encore" from 1977 to my favourite list. Partly because I saw them for the first time on that tour (as a confused teenager), but mainly because it's just a nice one!

Tangerine Dream have made good music after this though. Albums like: "Force Majure" 1979, "Tangram" 1980, "Poland - The Warsaw Concert" 1984, "Underwater Sunlight" 1986. "Quinoa" 1992, "Turn of the tides" 1994, "Mars Polaris" 1999 and "Mota Atma" 2003 find their way back to my CD-player or LP turntable every once in awhile...

Fair enough, If I have to choose only one: Rubycon! And especially Part Two. :)
Thanks for refreshing my memory, although I was only a tyke when they released these albums, it was a huge oversight on my part that I omitted the Live Encore album and the wonderful `sorcerer' soundtrack. I certainly am aware of them.
Mr. Stout

Veteran Member

Return to When Rock Was Young